“Very Late Review (Dec. 2011) - Nice Theater & Entertaining Play” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shakespeare Theatre Company

Shakespeare Theatre Company
610 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004-2201 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202.547.1122
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shakespeare Theatre Company produces and presents award-winning plays in its two venues in downtown Washington D.C., attracting many theatre-goers from D.C., Maryland, Virginia and from around the world. As a non-profit arts organization our education programs bring classical theatre experiences, critical discussions and vital academic resources into area schools and communities. We also host a number of other arts organizations who perform world class dance, music, and much more.
40 attraction reviews
“Very Late Review (Dec. 2011) - Nice Theater & Entertaining Play”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I am very late sending this review but am doing so, anyway. My boyfriend and I attended this theater, for the first time, in December 2011 to see "Much Ado About Nothing". The play was very entertaining (great acting) and had a new spin to it, which was nicely done. This newish theater looks really nice inside. We attended a Saturday matinee and got tickets (which were reasonably priced) the day of the performance (box office staff was friendly) and our seats were in an area where we could see the stage very well. The theater is conveniently located and there is are Metro subway stops close by. There is also metered street parking (hard to find empty spaces often times) and public parking garages (prices vary). There are several restaurants close by (can't remember if the theater has their own restaurant inside).

Visited June 2013

Encinitas, CA
28 attraction reviews
“Well performed, seats very uncomfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

And here I thought the airlines crammed people in! The show was excellent - a modern version of Two Gentlemen of Verona. Creative, the actors were personable (even did a little adlib acting when a patron's cell phone went off). But... and this is huge for me... the seating was so cramped I literally couldn't put my legs in front of me - I had to sit with my legs spread apart so they fit on either side of the seat in front of me. I doubt I'll be back again in this theatre - there are other stages performing Shakespeare that are much more comfortable. Oh, and the stairs down to the restroom and the drinking fountain are very long and steep. The woman I was with couldn't make it down and up all those stairs. They really need to put a drinking fountain upstairs.

Visited May 2014
Austin A, Public Relations Manager at Shakespeare Theatre Company, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
We're sorry to say that you've got the wrong theatre. Judging from your review it seems that you meant to post for the Folger Shakespeare Library who presented THE TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA you attended (ended May 25, 2014). Hope you'll visit our theatre soon!
New York
14 attraction reviews
“Measure for Measure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

An upbeat production for today's modern audience. The show introduced a cabaret show (how risque) before the play unfolded.
We left with big smiles and gave kudos to the brave cast & director!

Visited September 2013
Atenas, Costa Rica
34 attraction reviews
“Fun Performance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had really wanted to see Shakespeare, but the Harry Potter spoof was a lot of fun and the facilities are very good. You can walk from the National Mall if you wish.

Visited September 2013
Woodbridge, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, is FUNNY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

They have jazzed up the show and made old time "slap Stick" humor relevant--actually, the show delivers frequent belly laughs. It is a bit expensive, but this is one of the best productions the Theatre has done in the last few years.

Visited December 2013