“Shear Madness” 5 of 5 stars

Fort Lee, New Jersey
34 attraction reviews
“Shear Madness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our first visit to the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and we will definitely return when we visit Washington, DC. Would like to take a tour of the center and unfortunately we were limited with time. We purchased tickets for "Shear Madness", a play that has been running in the Theater Lab for 25 years! It is a murder mystery with audience participation. Fun night! Parking is available at the center ($22.00) However, if you stay for 1 hour; parking is free.

• Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
“Showtime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Outstanding atmosphere with lots of excitement! Great shows - whether plays, musicals or concerts . . . a regular haunt of mine!

Visited January 2013
San Diego
3 attraction reviews
“Able to scratch one off the bucket list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I watch the "Kennedy Center Honors" program every year without fail, so when we finally went to D.C. for the first time together on a vacation, I knew we had to make a pilgrimage.

I got tickets to the last day of the ballet Le Corsaire, so we went to the Sunday, April 14 matinee performance. We were jet lagged and tired from a really long day of travel from Southern California the previous day, but I really wanted to try to arrive early so that we might get a little tour prior to the performance. As luck (or good planning) had it, we were staying in Foggy Bottom, so it was a nice and easy 10 minute walk over to KC. The nice woman at the information desk said it would be just a few minutes wait for a tour guide, so we headed to the gift shop. Almost immediately, our tour guide came to get us. I looked around for the rest of the group, but it was just us! A private, guided tour -- I really felt special. We were interested in seeing the whole facility, so Leslie (I believe that was her name) spent about an hour and 15 minutes with us -- much longer than the 45 minutes that the tours usually last. After bidding Leslie adieu, we had enough time to use the restroom, pre-order champagne for the first intermission, and get seated with 10 minutes to spare. Perfect.

We heeded the advice of others and didn't eat at KC -- we, instead, went into Georgetown for dinner and sought out one of the establishments that had advertised in the Playbill (I think it was called Clyde's.) I really wanted crab cakes (when in Rome . . .) and they were delicious.

I am a child of the 60s and I will always feel a debt of gratitude to the Kennedys for their support of the arts and for giving so much back to this country in so many ways. I was honored to be able to attend a performance at the venue I only wish JFK could have lived to see.

Frederick, Maryland
34 attraction reviews
“another night of great jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went by cab to Kennedy Center very accessible. You can also go by car or metro. If you book online they will give you heads up about any potential delays.
Staff were very helpful for directions to show.
Wonderful acoustics and great ushers.
National acts at reasonable prices in a variety of formats. If it is a beautiful day go out on the roof an denjoy the 360 degree view.
You can also support the shows by becoming a Kennedy Center Member which allows you early access to shows.
Easy to get to ; great venues and acoustics; good staff.
Whats not to like.

Arlington, Virginia
124 attraction reviews
“If You Love the Arts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been a subscriber to the KC since 1975. Sometimes I had two events on the same night. I love this place and what it stands for. If you love the arts even a little bit, take the time to see this extraordinary building. If you aren't inclined to plunk down money to see a show, there are free performances every night at 6:00!! Take advantage and linger to soak in the atmosphere and views of the river from the outdoor terrace (on the main floor and also from the top).

Visited March 2013