“Worst customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Washington DC Downtown) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Worst customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This hotel was centrally located in DC - which I found appealing. The customer service - not so much. In fact, between the lackluster service and the homeless people wandering into the lobby, I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone.

By terrible customer service, I mean specifically requesting foam pillows (due to a feather allergy, but regardless of the reason...) and having none in the room upon check in. When I called the front desk to ask for some, the attendant said that they don't have any (the hotel was not even close to sold out). When I explained my reservation and allergy, she then said that she wouldn't be able to get them (with a tone that said "suck it up"). Now, as someone who has worked in the hotel industry for years, I know both how to be polite and also that IT IS YOUR JOB to go retrieve the pillows - especially when someone is highly allergic to feathers.

The beds were too old (hard and worn), there was 1 clean towel in the room at check in, the valet HAD to park the car if you were parking at the hotel, so I found myself waiting for about 40 minutes on the curb for the valet to come back. Also, the hotel isn't in the greatest of neighborhoods. Typically, I'd be inclined to overlook that fact, but in combination with everything else, I give this place 2 stars.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear C H,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize for the poor experience you encountered on your visit to our property. We strive to deliver exceptional service and to ensure that you have a wonderful stay. Unfortunately, we were unable to deliver on these promises for you.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would like to give me a call.

Ryan Urgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The breakfast was great. Eggs, sausage and waffles every day! There is a Walgreens just down the street with sandwiches and snacks. Asian restaurants right by the hotel and other restaurants on 7th st. Nice walk to the capitol, Smithsonian and National Gallery of Art, but the Lincoln Memorial was a long walk from here. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: I was right by the elevator and I could hear it in the room. But I would take that room again just f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear jamsignal,

Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC Convention Center. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in vibrant Chinatown.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our full hot complimentary breakfast and that our location was ideal for you.

Please do join us on your next trip and continue to recommend us!

I am happy to help you personally with your next reservations. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

The hotel was nicer than I was expecting. While I had a very small room (smallest room in the US?) it was clean and well appointed. Coming from a European expectation, it was big enough. Staff were all polite and very pleasant. Breakfast a real highlight! Much more than just continental as advertised. Also, the attached Irish bar had one of the nicest IPAs I have ever had. Lots of different options for dinner in the surrounding China Town and an ideal distance from the convention centre.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear TheBacca,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, our staff was attentive and we provided a clean hotel for you to relax and enjoy. I apologize if the room size wasn't a good fit for you, if you choose to stay with us again ask the front desk for a larger room, and we will gladly provide one. Also, I am glad you enjoyed The Irish Channel bar/restaurant.

Highland Springs, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel because it was the closest we could find to the Verizon Center (a 5 minute walk) and we were attending a hockey game. After a horrible drive into DC, we were delighted to be met with friendly staff and valet parking. Rooms are small, but very cozy. My husband and I both slept better than we have in a very long time! The hotel is located in Chinatown and has a lovely Asian motif throughout. Coming back after the game close to 11pm, we were happy that the restaurant/bar connected to the hotel was open until 2am on Wednesday! Drinks were great and live music is there regularly. We will definitely stay here whenever we are in this area.

Dear Lindsay H,

Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC Convention Center on your visit to our Nation's Capital. I'm happy to hear that we were the perfect location for your hockey game at the Verizon Center. We are fortunate to be within walking distance to so many attractions, restaurants and entertainment in the city. I am also glad to hear that The Irish Channel was a good fit for you!

Thank you for your feedback as we always gain so much from our guests.

Regards,

ballarat vic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great location in China town, walking distance to all the sights and 2 blocks to the station.
Breakfast time was very busy and hard to get a seat some mornings, all staff at this hotel were very professional and helpful. The rooms were great and we had a view of the church, slept really well and ate twice at the Irish pub next door. Would definately stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear karsBallaratVic,

We are delighted to hear that our staff was professional and helpful, and that we provided a clean hotel for you to relax and enjoy.

Our goal is to be your first choice when you visit our Nation's Capital again!

Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had a very nice stay here last weekend. We are new to DC and weren't very familiar with the area so we're sure glad we had Jonathan at the front (literally, he was ALWAYS at the front desk. Does he sleep?) I'm pretty sure he would have walked us to the Metro line if we needed it, he was that accommodating. He is what true service looks like: when you ask a question he doesn't tell you, he SHOWS you. Anyway, he's lovely. 'nuff said. So, the hotel is extremely easy to get to if you are driving from the north. It's just off the highway and near the 395 entrance. There's just a one block walk to the Metro and a slew of shops. If you are going to any events at the Staples Center, you literally could not stay any closer. And the mall adjacent to the staples center has 24 hour parking, so for 24 hours we paid only $16! Kind of a bargain. I know the hotel offers valet but there wasn't a valet person standing out there when we arrived so we just looped around to the parking garage. This is in the Asian area of town which means great food and lots of life and culture. You're a short walk to the nearby Dc attractions too. The hotel was clean and modern. There is a free breakfast which probably could have used more fresh items, but I enjoyed my waffles covered in strawberries just the same. We would stay here again as it was convenient to the theatre area, updated and reasonable priced.

Dear Cassandra S,

Thank you so much for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC Convention Center.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here. It's always so rewarding for our team to hear such great feedback and in this case I was thrilled to share your compliments with Jonathan. He was so grateful and excited! Excellent customer service is was we strive for here. We are very proud of our team, hotel and proximity to all that is our Nation's Capital.

Please do join us on your next trip and continue to recommend us!

Regards,

York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was my second time staying at this hotel: the first was with my girlfriends, and we had a double room. This time I was with my significant other, and we had a king room. Once again, arrival was a breeze...checked in quickly, valet took the car, and staff was very friendly. Our room was a bit small...usually there is a hallway between the bathroom and the actual room. In this case, the bathroom opened up right into the room by the bed. That could be a bit uncomfortable if you don't know someone well, as there is really very little privacy. Our room had windows on two sides though. One looking into an office building, but the other looked out onto the street, which we enjoyed.

The hotel is super close to a lot of things. You're two blocks from the Gallery Place metro station, the Verizon center, and lots of restaurants. We walked to the mall and the white house from the hotel, and while it's not a short walk, it was nice. There are several museums right around that area too, so if you'd like something other than the museums on the mall, they're right there.

Everyone was very friendly during both checkout and checkin, as well as those we saw in the hallways cleaning. There were only two things that kept this from being a perfect score (aside from the room layout, as mentioned above). The first was the noise. I'm not bothered by "city" noise, and I didn't mind hearing cars from our room. However, the soundproofing is not very good. The first night, I woke up at 3:00 in the morning when our neighbors across the hall returned. We could hear their entire conversation, and doors slamming very loudly. Also, I knew exactly when our neighbors were in the shower or in the bathroom. The second issue is not something I know how the hotel would even take care of, so this is more of a heads up than a criticism. There are a number of homeless in the area, and yesterday there were two incidences right outside of the hotel that caused some concern. The first was a man right up the street yelling sexually vulgar things as he crossed the street. Then, he proceeded to stop in the middle and drop his pants and underwear and stand there, flashing anyone walking towards the hotel. The second incident happened as we were leaving. We'd called to have our car brought around, and it was waiting, locked, out front for us. However, the valet had gone to get another car (I assume), and was not there to give us our keys. While we waited for him to return, two homeless men got into a verbal altercation right in front of the hotel. One then continuously asked my friend and I if we had a cell phone he could use while the other shouted obscenities at him. I don't spook easily, but I was very uncomfortable with the entire situation. We couldn't get into our car to leave, and the men were blocking our way to get back into the hotel. When the valet returned, he apologized for it and his interaction with the homeless men implied that it wasn't the first time they'd been hanging around the front of the hotel. The valet was completely professional and nice about the situation, but again, these two incidents, while not the hotel's fault, would probably keep me from staying here with my young children.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown? Share your experiences!