“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Washington DC Downtown) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Hampshire England
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed in on our 3 week trip to America. The beds and pillows were wonderful, just like sleeping on a cloud. The reception staff were friendly and we felt very welcome. The location is good from the point of view of sight seeing. We didn't have a car whilst in Washington, so caught buses or the metro to everywhere we wanted. The stops are just a block away and we bought an "oldies" card just down the road on 5th Street at the transportation head office. Journeys on the bus cost 80cents and $1.60 on the metro, so $12 each lasted us easily for 3 days. We had thought about going on the sight seeing buses, but these are terribly expensive. The Fairfield is in China Town which is an interesting part of Washington. The only small downside is that along H Street, there are a few unemployed men who lurk about, but we were never worried by them. We did eat at the Irish pub under the Fairfield. Although the food was good, this is a sports bar and it was very noisy. The noise didn't drift up to our room though. We would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and our request was granted.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Nigellatoo,

Thank you so much for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel was a great fit for your needs. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to all the wonderful attractions in our nation's capital.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs when returning to DC.

Regards,

Ryan Urgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a great hotel and good location. The front desk staff was super nice! There is a charge for valet parking which is typical for a dc hotel. My only complaint would be the noise level of the heating unit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear theucfan,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We are always so excited to share guests feedback with our team. We appreciate your kind words regarding the Service you received. Sorry to hear that your heating unit was noisy as I know that can be distracting. Our maintenance team has taken care of that concern.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservation needs as we would love the opportunity to host you on your travels to DC again.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at this location for one night earlier this month for business. I have stayed at many hotels in the DC area and this one was on par with others I have stayed in. It was clean, and safe and the room was typical. I ate in the attached Irish restaurant and the food was OK. The upside to this locale is it is walking to distance to many attractions, and just down the blcok from a Metro station. I did think the price was rather high for the time of year. Overall I would recommend this location, if you can get it at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear shutterbug44,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We're happy to hear that our hotel was a good fit for you on your travels to DC. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to so many wonderful restaurants, sites and attractions.

We hope to be able to host you on your future travels to the city. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservation needs.

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

In our travels, we have found that customer service is not necesarily related to location or cost. Case in point: the reasonably priced Fairfield Inn in downtown Washington, D.C.absolutely excelled in first class customer care. Every person we met as we came and went from the hotel went out of their way to be gracious. The valets were welcoming and helpful, the front desk personnel ensured that our request for a high floor, which we asked for online when making the reservation, was met, as well as our request for late checkout. The room was clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was delicious. Complimentary newspapers and internet were a nice bonus. The decor, which reflected the Chinatown location is very nicely done and really added a sense of place. All of this is within a short walk to the Verizon center. The only reason I did not give this location five stars was due to the fact that the valet lot is a public one and I could have self parked for a few dollars less (33.00 parking fee PLUS parking tax of 5.00, and a tip...seemed excessive, for such a reasonably priced hotel. Parking actually ended up being about 20% of the cost, per night). I highly recommend this hotel and I do expect to stay there again. The staff at some of the higher priced hotels in the more "exclusive" parts of the city could surely learn a few lessons about how to treat their guests from the staff at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Patti B,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We are so grateful when our guests provide us with such valuable feedback. It's always a pleasure to be able to share our guests experience with our team members. We strive to deliver exceptional service and ensure our guests have a wonderful experience. It's always so rewarding to be able to recognize our team for a job well done.

We hope to be able to host you again on your future visits to the city. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The good: I loved the location – just a couple of minute walk to the metro and an enjoyable walk to the White House, the National Mall, etc. Lots of good restaurant options in the area. I really liked the design of the hotel – somewhat contemporary with Chinese influences. I thought the room as a decent size. The bed was comfortable. The free breakfast was quite good. The wifi was free and worked consistently (code provided by front desk). The concierge was extremely helpful and had great idea for things to do during the government shut-down.

The small bad – the air conditioner was loud.

The big problem - Huge billing issue. I was originally booked Thurs to Sunday at the hotel. Due to tourist sites being closed (govt shutdown), the day before my arrival, I called the Marriott reservation line to change my night to a different Marriott hotel outside the city. Apparently the cancellation for the first night at this hotel never went through, so when I got home I noticed that I was billed for the two nights I stayed and there was another charge (which was more than the cost of the two night stay!) which the hotel told me was for not showing up for my original reservation. The front desk at the hotel eventually took care of this after making it very clear to me that this was my fault since I didn’t notice I never received an email cancellation of the change (I did get a confirmation of the new reservation and assumed that they agent at the Marriott call center had done what he said and cancelled the first one – why would I need two reservations for the same night?).

I really enjoyed the two nights I stayed at the hotel, but the billing issue left a bad taste in my overall Marriott experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travelerwithheart,

Thank you for staying with us!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location in Chinatown, and being so close to so many great restaurants, sites and attractions in our Nation's Cap[ital.

We're sorry to hear that you had a loud AC unit in your room and we thank you for letting us know so we could fix it and ensure that future guests don't experience that. I am very sorry that you encountered the issue with billing as that should never have happened.

I hope we can have an opportunity to host you on your future travels to the city, and I would love to be able to take care of your reservation needs.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Finishing up our 2-week trip was a short drive from NYC to Washington DC which saw us stay at the Fairfield Inn for 2 nights. Located in the heart of Chinatown, the hotel is just 1-2 minute walk from the Verizon Center and the other main attractions (ie. White House, different museums etc.) not too far away (15-20 minutes).

The hotel lobby and rooms are modernly decorated with a nice oriental twist. The bed and linens were clean and quite comfortable. Breakfast was included but it was served till 9am only on weekdays (weekends till 10am) so we had to scramble a bit. The breakfast lounge was reasonably sized but there were just too many hotel guests squeezed into very little space so not the most comfortable situation to be in.

There's no parking available in the facility, only valet parking which cost $33 per night. They indicated that our car would be ready as long as we told the front desk 10 minutes in advance. But it ended up taking almost an hour for us. I sympathized with the one and only valet parking staff who had to deal with so many customers in one morning; however, everyone including us has a tight itinerary to follow and an hour wait was really unacceptable any way you put it.

In addition to parking, we had a problem with water leakage. We stayed on the top floor (10/F) and during a weekend of heavy rainfall, we had leakage in the ceiling with water drilling down. At the end, we had to switch room at 10pm but to the team's credit, they did a good job arranging a new room for us in very short notice and we had everything taken care of in approximately 10 minutes.

All in all, we found Fairfield Inn to be serviceable but if we ever visit Washington DC again, we would probably explore other options.

PS. We found all kinds of nice restaurants on E Street, just 2 blocks away from the hotel. We had dinner at Jaleo (corner of E Street and 7th NW), which came highly recommended by "Eater" and it was every bite as good as advertised. If Spanish tapas is your cup of tea, then Jaleo should not be missed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hedonist420,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We appreciate your feedback as it's always very important for us to be able to recognize solid performance as well as focus on areas of opportunity for improvement. I am so sorry to hear that there was a leak in your room which required you to be moved late at night.

The valet experience you encountered should not have happened and we apologize for our breakdown in that regard.

We would love an opportunity to regain your trust in hosting you on a future visit to our Nation's Capital.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your stay.

Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Beds and pillows were good, bathroom spacious. Free breakfast was really good compared to a lot of other hotels' free breakfasts and there was plenty of room for everyone to be seated. Free wifi also another convenient benefit. Location in Chinatown seemed pretty convenient (and plenty of non-Chinese food options available too), especially to the Newseum and the Circulator bus. We ended up having a long walk back to the hotel late on a Saturday evening, but the area was generally well-lit and we didn't have any concerns. I am only deducting points due to the shock of learning only valet parking was available, and it cost $33 per night. That was not stated in the hotel's description so it was very disconcerting to find that out when we arrived. Having said that, now that I know I would still stay there again, I would just do some research as to local garages to see if they would be more reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jacqueline B,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

It's always so rewarding for our team to receive such excellent feedback from our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. We strive to deliver excellent customer service and are happy to hear that we were able to meet your needs.

I'm sorry that you weren't aware of our parking fee before you arrived. We are happy to offer alternative options that may be more cost effective.

I would love to be able to take care of your future reservations when you visit the city again.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions or for your next reservation needs.

Ryan Urgo

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown? Share your experiences!