“A great place to rest after a long day of touring.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Washington DC Downtown) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #51 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Jersey
“A great place to rest after a long day of touring.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff was very helpful. They helped us do the best tours for our family. Printed us tickets and gave us perfect directions. Placed right in Chinatown, it is whithin walking distance of some great museums and stores. The rooms are clean and the hallways are quiet. The restaurant attached is an Irish pub style sports bar. Very loud. Food is good. Not perfect for families.

• Stayed March 2013

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites on H Street for a weekend after a business trip in Maryland. I really enjoyed this hotel, it was more than I expected for the reasonable price and great location. I would definitely stay here again. The only downside was the parking - extremely limited. Valet is $33 a night - yikes! If you're lucky, you can pull up to the curb in front (H Street), side (5th Ave) or pull into the alley for the valet. Overall parking in DC is awful!
My good impression started with the front desk, the staff was cheerful and helpful. The hotel decorator did a good job giving the hotel a "Chinatown" vibe without going over the top. Little touches like pictures of lanterns and the fish on the carpet are great.
The elevator requires the room key to run. Nice security feature, but this is awkward if your hands are full. There are luggage carts to help with bags. The elevator is very large and clean. There always seemed to be plenty of staff around.
The room was small (closet really small), but the space is well used. For example a wall shelf for the flat screen to save counter space and a basket in the bathroom to help organize. Nice soft sheets, good pillow selection, shampoo/conditioner and lotion are provided with bar soap (no shower gel). Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. We had a strange vent in the bathroom that carried sound from other rooms. It was weird to be in the shower and hear an unknown person talking. You couldn’t hear the vent conversation outside the bathroom, so it wasn’t a noise issue. The AC/Heat unit was a little noisy, but typically for hotels with the room units. Two garbage cans, one by the desk and one in the bathroom, it drives me crazy when hotels only have one can in the room– garbage cans are cheap. The Wi-Fi was OK. I had a difficult time connecting. There are two Wi-Fi signals iBahn and Fairfield, we were given an iBahn password, but the instructions are not clear which signal you use. Fairfield worked.
Breakfast was included. They were out of coffee the fist morning when I went down at 9am. I am not a happy person without my coffee, so this was a disappointment. There is one regular coffee, one decaf and one hot water (and space for another urn). Maybe two regular coffee urns would be better. The breakfast includes the usual bagels, muffins, waffle maker, plus a refrigerator with Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (egg/bacon/cheese or egg/sausage/cheese) and a microwave to heat. There is only one microwave, so there was usually a little line. Overall it was a nice way to start the day, except for the coffee delay. During the day, the coffee/tea station and a cold water unit are always available. We had take-out from the attached Pub one night. It was just OK. There are a lot of better food options close by.
Location is very good! The metro is two blocks away. Union Station is about 7 blocks (for all the tours). Close enough to walk to the Capitol and Mall. Overall, I found this to be a great little hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the alley are quieter. DC is a noisy place.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Staff is great and efficient. The check-in and check out processes are the fastest I have encountered. They treat their Marriott elites well - there was a prize wheel that they spun for elites with various additional perks. The lady next to me won something from the grab and go snack bar. The room was very nice and comfortable - a little small, but this is Downtown DC. Speaking of which, the hotel is not cheap. I paid about $280 for one night. My only real complaint/suggestion would be to improve the towels. For that price, you should at least get something much better than cheap ultra thin, small towels that you would expect from a Motel 6.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was attending a conference in the Washington convention center and chose this hotel because it was nearby. I have had good experiences with Fairfield Inns in the past and this was no exception. It wan't cheap, but considering the location, it was reasonable. Parking was $33.00 per day! Good assortment for the complimentary breakfast. Service was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was looking for a Hilton product near the Verizon Center, as I have tons of Hilton points and like to use them/add to them. The Hilton products were booked, though, so I found this Marriott Fairfield product had rooms. The price and location were right, so I figured for one night, why not.

I was pleasantly surprised. Everything looked new - place must have been renovated recently. Staff was friendly, room was clean, bed was comfortable, and little things like name-brand toiletries in the room were a plus. The breakfast was above-average for a "free" breakfast although seating was limited and it was packed during prime-time on a Saturday morning - expected that though. I liked that they had coffee and tea available all the time in the lobby.

A couple things to note - first the rooms are small, but that is not surprising given the downtown location and the price - I did not mind too much, as I see no point in paying for the extra space when you are not there to sit around the hotel all day. But had my wife been with me, we would have been running into each other. Second, the bathroom counter was extra low. I am 6'4" so I notice these things, but frankly the are all too small for me so this was only a little annoying. Also, I guess this makes three things but not a huge ding - the bath towels were on the cheap side - not very big and not thick and certainly not very soft -- this is something they can easily fix and something they need to fix. Also -- ok, four things -- the HVAC blower is under the window (but has a wall thermostat) and so lots of light can get in between the bottom of the curtain and the blower - this is always the case with places like Hilton Garden Inns that don't have the exchange up on the wall or cieling. If you are a sensitive sleeper this can be a problem so you need to wedge pillows in there and make use of masking tape that you should always carry when you travel.

The place is near some great Asian restaurants and a quick walk to Gallery Place metro stop and the Verizon Center.

Bottom line: clean, comfortable, friendly staff, great location. I would stay here again. I will give this an excellent rating despite the issues I noted because on balance I thought it was such a good value. I do not rate hotels like this against a Conrad or Four Seasons or Ritz where you would stay on vacation -- that is not fair or helpful to anyone frankly. Of course you should stay at the Four Seasons if you plan to spend a lot of time in the room and want to spend the cash. This is against an Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn or something in the same price range. For what it is, this hotel does the job very well at a very fair price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hicksville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here presidents weekend. This hotel was easy to find. The staff were so nice and helpful! The rooms were spotless! Plenty of everything for the bathrooms. nice comfortable bed with decent pillows. The complimentary breakfast in the am was excellent! Waffle maker, microwavable jimmy Dean sandwiches, fruit, cereal and a fridge stocked with fruit cups yougarts etc. I'm leaving out a lot but you get this picture. It was in Chinatown, by lots of stores restaurants etc. There is an Irish Pub and restaurant downstairs that had excellent food!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, New YOrk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My mother in law was traveling with my family and I to visit the White House. We picked this hotel because it had suites and we could use her AARP discount. I was under the impression I had booked a room with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. Upon check in we learned the hotel didn't have that option. What they did have was a king size bed with a pull out sofa. We compromised for our one night stay and took that option. The room was large, clean and attractive. The carpeting was a colorful koi pattern. The continental breakfast included make your own belgian waffles which my husband loved. The valet was attentive and quick with delivering our car. The location was fantastic! We walked easily to ALL of the museums. The National Portrait Gallery was just around the corner. There were tons of restaurants just down the street. The hotel is in an area with a lot of new buildings going up. The seedier side of town isn't far away, thus the need for keys to activate your elevator passage to your room. We never felt unsafe, but caution would be advised. We would definitely stay there again. We arrived at 12 PM and they let us check in early. We greatly appreciated that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown? Share your experiences!