“GREAT HOTEL STAFF & LOCATION” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC / Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 H St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Washington DC Downtown) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“GREAT HOTEL STAFF & LOCATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Prior to the Renovation & conversion to the Marriott...This was a Red Roof.. It was convenient for the needs of my group & the prices were OK... But this year as it reopened I was so amazed that it was the same hotel..Everything was new & clean & terrific..It was like the RR never existed..I was more then pleased with the room configuration.. We had more room, but the only flaw was the closet space.never the less.I was happy and will continue to stay there with my group for the coming years...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
rockaway, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed at The Fairfield Inn & Suites recently, and I have to say that my experience was fantastic. The decor (which I understand was recently updated) perfectly reflects the cultural flavor of the neighborhood. Everything sparkled, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I can't speak to the value, as this stay was 'paid' for with Marriott points, but I would certainly stay at this property again.

The location is ideal to sightseeing at the National Mall. There is a Metro stop one block away, and there are TONS of dining options (not only Asian) and shopping in the area. Continental breakfast is offered in the morning, and coffee and tea appeared to be available most of the day.

The only tricky part of the stay (for a suburbanite like me) is that parking 'out front' to check in. Being IN DC, the hotel uses valet parking, so it took us two swings around the block before a space opened up to get our luggage out of the car.

Another nice feature is that post-check-out luggage storage was no problem.

I can't say enough nice things about the place. I'm looking forward to staying there again.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I am in DC about 20 times a year--so I've stayed in a lot of hotel properties. Suffice it to say, I would have never given the old property a second look when it was a Red Roof Inn. Now that it is a fresh, new Fairfield Inn--it's a terrific option. The fact that it is completely redone is a huge selling point. It's fresh, clean and the colors are fun. The service was terrific as well. If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel--this is an excellent choice. The rooms are pretty small based on what I saw. I opted to stay in a "suite." It's an interesting layout--more of a junior suite--but worked for me b/c of the three interestingly placed windows which gives the illusion of more space. Again, it's so new and fresh that the size of the rooms wasn't as important to me.

The area is a bit transitional--but a very short two blocks to the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stop. Again, I'm in DC a lot--this is a good option.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Stayed here while visiting in DC because of the excellent location and good price. Included breakfast buffet had a very good variety and was well maintained. The entire hotel was recently refurbished. The room was somewhat smaller than most; we had two queen beds, desk and desk chair, and dresser, but there was no space for a side chair, and the closet was only about a foot deep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
sf bay area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I was really nervous when I booked a room here for a trip to DC with my daughter, but it turned out to be awesome. Since it is a new to Marriott hotel there were only bad reviews left from the old Red Roof days which really scared me, but when we arrived you couldn't ask for better service or accommodations. We flew in on a red eye from the west coast and were dead tired when we got there, the staff checked us in early and helped us find a place to eat. The hotel is a block away from the Gallery Metro and walking distance to the Newseum (which is incredible... don't miss it) and the National Mall. Tons of places to eat nearby (my daughter loved the shepherds pie at the Irish Channel which is right next to the hotel). I can't say enough about the staff... they were so helpful and friendly and we loved how the hotel was decorated and clean... perfect for Chinatown. yes the rooms are small, but really we were not in are rooms all that much.... my daughter loved the tv and we both enjoyed the free breakfast every morning. We will definitely stay there again when we go back to DC.

South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

We chose this Hotel for its location and the fact that it had only been open for about a month after a complete renovation. The location in the chinatown section was a great choice for sight seeing. 1 block from the Verizon center where the Capitols play. About 5 blocks from Ford Theater. A Quiznos less then a half a block away, and a Ritas waterice around the corner. In other words, lots of places to eat near by.

This is all important because there is very little room for parking. We chose to pay the $33.00 vallet parking fee. We walked or took a cab when we needed to. Washington is NOT ment to be traveled by car. The only thing worse than the traffic is trying to park, so it was very nice to have the staff park our car in a safe spot.

The kids loved the jar of fortune cookies at the front desk . The staff was very nice.
The renovation looks great. A modern Asian theme, very classy but not over the top. We found it felt like a Weston and a great value for the price.

The only drawback was breakfast. The space restriction comes into play here. There are 8 or so floors of rooms but the lobby way to small handle the free breakfast offered. The food was good and the staff were working so hard to keep up. I feel for the morning crew that has to do that job every day. There was no room for more than a few guests to eat at 1 time. We went to our rooms to eat. The hotel wont stay as clean as it is now if most of the guests eat breakfast in there rooms. But again the food was not bad, standard quick breakfast deal. Free.

I would use this hotel again.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed here for two nights with my wife. Was very apprehensive about staying here based on other TripAdvisor reviews when this was a Red Roof Inn, but I have stayed at a couple of other Marriott brands which are newly renovated so I knew what to expect.

The hotel is in an excellent, convenient location in DC's ChinaTown, close to Galleria/ChinaTown Metro station. Only 6 or 7 stops away from the airport on the Yellow Line.

Only two blocks from 7th St, there's Verizon Center, tons of restaurants. If you walk west on H Street for 1.5 miles, you get to the north side of the White House. Great post-breakfast walk. A few blocks south of the hotel is the the National Building Museum, US Courthouse, The Capitol, and a bunch of the Smithsonian museums. Everything is walking distance. We walked all the way to the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Capitol in one day.

The hotel service is great. Jacqui, the hotel manager and her staff are awesome. You can deposit your bags in a secure storage for free if you're too early to check-in, or you've checked out but your DC departure is later in the day.

The breakfast is really good. Lots of options, including fresh fruit. The decor in the lobby, breakfast area, rooms, and hallways is modern with a Chinese feel of photos, art, and oriental elements.

Our room view was facing an alley with a slight view of H Street. Didn't matter as we were only in the room to sleep and were always out exploring DC. The rooms have flat screen LCDs, good channels, nice beds, comfy, however, no safe box.

Room Tip: North and east sides of hotel