“Just Awful!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 New York Ave NE, Washington DC, DC 20002 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites Near Union Station)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #115 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Just Awful!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Room not clean. If you see sticky brown stuff on the wall you know the place is not wiped down.
Floors so dirty that you do not even want to walk around in your socks. A few holes in the bed cover. I am always concerned about hotel cleanliness because you are in a room where others have slept....icky. Hotels should truly strive to be spotless.

Parking is in a garage attached to the building, tiny and does not feel safe. You have to pay to park. Did not appear to be safe neighborhood, I left early did not want to stay any longer than I needed to.

Got a call in the middle of the night, 3am saying they were the front desk, had problems with their computer and needed additional information from me. I provided no information, told the person I did not know who they were and I would come to the front desk to handle it..I never went. That morning the front desk staff said they did not make the call, that sometimes they get these prank calls and it was a good thing I did not give up information...hotel appeared as if these calls are regular(**I never had this happen in any hotel)..and I have been in hundreds of rooms over my years of travel.

Arrived late or would have booked another room. Not a good sleep. Tried to shower without touching anything. Hosed the place down with lysol spray and alcohol with anything I touched. And yes I do carry lysol with me anywhere I go.

Breakfast area appeared clean. Front desk was nice but nonchalant about my overnight experience. Would never go again. The exact opposite of the Comfort Inn Downtown DC, which very clean.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, Do not go here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Firstly this hotel is nowhere near Union Station as advertised. It is a 15 minute drive and would be impossible to walk to. The area is unsavoury and I would not recommend walking around at night. Our room was facing a very noisy main road which made for poor sleep. The next door room were constantly crashing about and hitting the adjoining wall. Very noisy corridors. Upon taking a shower on our last night's stay we discovered that the towels hadn't been replaced so we had to share! Shuttle was very useful to get to Union Station - you would spend a lot on cabs otherwise. Gym includes 3 cardio machines with at least one broken and a weights station that barely functions. Do not stay here - spend a bit more a night and stay somewhere in a nice safe neighbourhood closer to the attractions!

• Stayed August 2013
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family & I arrived 7/29 @ 3pm. We were shocked @ the neighborhood of this hotel, as that was not displayed online. There is a liquor store across the street & we saw many people with questionable professions surrounding the hotel & in the lobby. We checked in & asked about the shuttle to take us into DC. The man behind the desk was condescending as he explained there was not a shuttle to take us as it only runs in the AM and late PM. He said he could get us a taxi; he waved to a guy waiting in the lobby who said he would take us to Union Station. This taxi was a run down van and the driver had to stop for gas but took us to Union Station. (By the way, the hotel is at least a 15 minute drive from the monuments through the ghetto. You could not walk there.) The next morning we took the shuttle to the city & had been in the city for about an hour when the hotel called me & informed me we had a break-in on our car. They refused to give me more info & refused to come get us after I relayed our location. We arrived from a taxi & the hotel staff was short with us & quickly dismissed us. They offered no help in our time of need. I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Take my advice. Pay a little bit more for safety.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is Martha, i stayed here for one night and i couldn't be happier. Stuff was very friendly especially the guy at front desk.So mad that I forgot his first name but it starts with a D. Thank you so much for helping me choose the touring package. They also let me check out late for free because my flight was later in the day. oh and please tip the shuttle driver, he was amazing. Cant wait to get back next year.

Room Tip: Dont listen to the negative reviews
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very impressed with the staff at this hotel. The front desk people were helpful, the shuttle drivers were polite and alway prompt. My family loved the breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: This hotel was a little inconvenient to the Washington sightseeing spots, but worth it if you have t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
samiraearly, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We appreciate your wonderful reviews of our staff and our property. I'm so happy to here your stay was a comfortable one for you and your family. Our comfort Inn & Suites staff prides ourselves on guest satisfaction. We hope to see you again in the near future!!!
Durango Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The first thing you need to know is that this property is nowhere near Union Station. Maybe as a pigeon flies it might be a mile and a half or so but that pigeon does not need to negotiate rush hour traffic or muggers. You do not want to have to walk anywhere around the vicinity of this hotel - it does not feel safe, day or night. Once you are inside the premises it seems safe enough, but the viability of this hotel as a tourist/business facility depends 100% on their free, safe, shuttle bus to Union Station, where you can find a wide variety of restaurants and shops or take the Metro or Amtrak and get anywhere in the world. So any problems with the shuttle are a serious problem with the hotel.
And there are SERIOUS problems with the shuttle. There are two vehicles that do the shuttle. One is a 15-passenger van (too small during high-demand periods) the other is a larger capacity mini-bus (sometimes too small as well) that has so many rattles, clangs, and thunks that it sounds like it's on its deathbed. For the most part there is only one driver during shuttle hours, and the traffic in DC can easily reach gridlock levels then. So the promise that the shuttle makes two round trips per hour? Poppycock. Not guaranteed, and not always possible. This is not the fault of the drivers, it's the inherent limitations of their equipment and work schedules. The drivers, in fact (gold stars to Mike and Cynthia) make a heroic effort, but they are under impossible constraints.
The rooms are kind of an afterthought here unless you have your own car because in DC it's location location location. Mine (multiple nights) was average to a little below. Not much noise from the neighbors; more from New York Avenue below the window. On the other side of the hotel you would get the noise from the Amtrak trains so it's a tossup. My room was directly across from the ice machine, that's my punishment for the ultra-low Priceline rate that I paid.
Breakfast average. Didn't use the hotel wifi, brought my own so no opinion.
Room door deadbolt could not be used because the bolt and the hole in the frame did not line up. I relied on the slider in case of an intruder which was somewhat scary as a woman traveling alone but I tend to err on the side of bravery. There are not enough electrical outlets in the room to plug in a computer, wifi hotspot, and cell phone at the same time. When I fiddled with trying to plug in the microwave behind the tv cabinet, sparks ensued which was pretty scary.
I guess the conclusion is that you get what you pay for (duh) and DC is a pricey town. If you need to come in under $100 a night you can do it here; just be prepared to suffer some inconveniences.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I apologize and express my deepest concerns for the inconveniences you suffered on your stay here at Comfort Inn & Suites. We have made great improvements to both of our transportation vehicles in order to better serve our many guests. Although we are not in downtown DC we try to make sure we accommodate all of our guests needs. I hope that we can change your perception on your future trips to Washington!
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Got off AMTRAK and had no trouble finding the shuttle to the hotel. It was a bit farther from Union Station but it was next to the railway tracks. Shuttle was handy and the price was right. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would think twice about walking around the neighbourhood at night and did not see any nearby amenities. Staff suggested the shuttle to Union Station as the best place for a meal so I might be right in my caution. Breakfast was good and the room was more than adequate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive feedback on your stay in Washington. Our surrounding area is undergoing some major city wide projects so we hope to have more restaraunts, stores, etc in the near future. I'm glad that our staff made you feel welcome and we'll look forward to seeing you soon!

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue? Share your experiences!