“Location location location!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites New York Ave

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn & Suites New York Ave to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites New York Ave
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 New York Ave NE, Washington DC, DC 20002 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites New York Avenue)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #115 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
New York
“Location location location!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

That's what its all about when looking for fuss free accomodation Well this does not have that.!!! We just checked out after staying for 4 nghts. It advertises on the website and other material that it is close to Union Station. That is an outright lie!!!!You could not walk to the hotel on a good day. You need to take either a taxi or their shuttle bus. The hotel is on the edge of town in a very bad area. In fact they tell you not to walk to the streets especially at night. There are no restaurants of any kind for eating anywhere nearby. You must catch the shuttle back to the hotel every night after eating or buy takeaway to bring to the hotel. the shuttle only runs every hour and is a heap of crap. the seats are not even bolted down,and the airconditioning does not work. One night we had twenty (20) people crammed into the the vehicle. It only has seats for 12. The hotel staff are totally unconcerned about this.
The rooms are good and nicely cared for but very noisy from the main road. There are prostitutes in the back alley.
I would not recommend this place for families or young women travelling as it is too dangerous. The only location I have been in that is worse was in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Just don;t go there. Spend your money on getting a room closer into Union Station. It will be a be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Well, I booked this for my boyfriend and myself for the 2012 Cherry Blossom Festival. We checked in on March 24th and checked out on March 25 so only a 1 night stay. Just all we could afford really because prices everywhere in the D.C. area are jacked up for the festival. I had read reviews (good and bad) before booking with this place and although I have some critiques it was overall a good experience with them.

First, it is not the best looking area. It is Washington, D.C. for goodness sake though. If you want to stay Downtown then look to pay the price as it was around $300+ a night. The area around it looks a little run down and their parking deck is literally underneath the hotel. It can be a little dark at times and there isn't too much around food wise, etc. There are a couple of gas stations across the street but I wouldn't recommend walking across to get to them as it's a high traffic area. We felt safe in our room (5th floor could be the reason) and had a pleasant experience. They also have a menu of local places in the hotel room that either delivery or do carry out/pick up.

Hotel is nicely kept. Lobby is very pretty. Free breakfast in the morning from 6:30am to 9:30am. Waffle makers. Sausage, fake eggs. It's a hotel breakfast and it's free so don't be but so critical.

The room was a suite with a king sized bed (5th floor, #508) as well as a living room attached with a sleep sofa (check out the photos along with this review). LOTS of space. Very clean. Microwave and a mini fridge that we used to keep sandwich fixings and drinks. Coffee maker and coffee in the room too.

My boyfriend noticed that the electrical outlets and circuit breakers in the room/hallways could be replaced/updated as well as the elevators but he's in "remodeling of our house" mode and those are the kinds of things he's used to noticing/fixing right now. The bathroom was very nice yet small. The tub had a little bit of wear and tear on it but nothing so ungodly that you wouldn't want to use it.

This is "near Union Station" but in no way is it within walking distance (they didn't claim it was within walking distance but it is about a 10-15 minute ride to Union Station). There is a free shuttle with a very funny driver to take you to and from Union Station. The schedule for that though may be unattractive to some people. It runs everyday but only from 7am-11am (expect a shuttle every half hour) and then again from 5-10pm (every hour at about a quarter after). So, it's not something you can count on during the peak "tourism" hours during the middle of the day or to be your "drunk bus" back to the hotel after 10pm. So either get an early start and early finish or just take cabs around. So, in essence, the shuttle schedule caters to families visiting with kids. There are a lot of cabs but you'd have to call one to come to this hotel as it's too far out to be considered "tourist enough."

The front desk staff we encountered were very nice. We got a call around 2 hours after we checked in to see how our stay was going so that was a nice touch.

Another con/pro of this place would be the $12 a night parking fee. However, if you try to park at Union Station or the like for a whole day while sight seeing, you're looking around $20 or more. The best part about that $12 nightly fee was of course we were only there 1 night but they let us stay parked there after we had checked out on Sunday morning. So, we parked our car there Saturday before we checked in and were allowed to keep it there until about 9PM Sunday night. Take as much advantage of that fee as possible because like I said, you could pay a lot more for less time anywhere else around D.C.

More advice, especially for the nightly shuttle, be there on time. If he says he'll drop you off at the same place he'll pick you up... be at that EXACT place EARLY/BEFORE a quarter after the hour or he will leave. We watched him just leave right at quarter after one night (forced to get a cab instead of waiting a whole other hour but even that was only about $12 with tax/tip) but we let it go since we got to park our car there all day on the 25th to sight see. AGAIN, the EXACT place he drops you off is where he will pick you up because he doesn't go all the way up to the main entrance of Union Station for drop offs/pick ups. He stays towards the part where you can easily turn around and exit through the construction without waiting in a HUGE line of taxis, tour buses, etc.

Lastly, if you are a light sleeper like I am (and you are used to absolutely NO outside noise at night when you are trying to go to sleep) then request a room that faces AWAY from the street. I had a hard time staying asleep and this hotel is also near a train track. Our view on the 5th floor was the train track and the road. So if you are sensitive to noise then request a room on the other side away from the traffic. The A/C was a little loud too but the only thing I'm picky about is my sleep. As you can see though, I survived.

All in all, you escape the ridiculous prices of the Downtown hotels but it's not close to much. If you're only there for a night or two just plan your meals around the shuttle, take your own car around, etc. It isn't the best area but lock your doors and you'll feel safe enough. If you don't like white noise when you're trying to sleep, then request a room away from the road/train tracks. Mind the shuttle schedule. I'm giving it 4/5 because the cons were things that the hotel staff itself can't do anything about and what this place lacked in outside appeal was made up for with other things.

Room Tip: If sensitive to noise while sleeping, request room away from road/track side. Mind the shuttle sche...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunrise, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The staff at the Hotel was very kind and we especially loved the view from our Window and the kitchen in the lower level very warm and delightful. Couldn't have chosen a better hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kagawong, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We had planned two nights. Left after one. Paper thin walls between rooms. Since it wasnt full why dont they separate rooms. The hotel backs onto what looks like a train yard and it was very noisy all night so a good sleep is difficult.
Very seedy location, you do not feel safe and there arent any restaurants near by except drive throughs.
The worst part is that I had a coupon but when I checked my account, it wasnt honored, and they charge $12 a night for parking.
Front desk man not overly friendly or helpful, morning girl was.
Their shuttle service did work well for us and the rooms seemed clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I should clarify something. I never actually got to stay in this hotel. I did, however, make a last-minute reservation to stay here after last-minute circumstances left me stranded in Washington DC without any accommodation. I was desperate and, through my booking agency, was able to make a reservation here

When I arrived there late at night, however, the desk clerk kept insisting that he had no record of my reservation and that I couldn't stay here because the hotel was full. I kept insisting I had booked a room there and finally the other desk clerk said that my reservation had just come through but that she couldn't understand how I had made a reservation because all the rooms were booked out. So I was left late at night in an unsafe neighborhood in Washington with no room and no reservation and nowhere to go and, due to my heavy load of baggage, it was difficult for me to be able to move around and get a taxi easily. I wanted to sleep in the lobby of the hotel but the hotel clerk told me instead to try and book a room in the hotel nearby. The hotel he recommended was somewhere I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It was a cheap motel with prostitutes, pimps and shady looking people roaming around everywhere. It was one of the most frightening nights of my life and, due to some of the experiences I had there, I seriously wondered whether I would get out alive

I don't really fault the hotel for the mix-up with the reservation -these things happen. But the reality is that this hotel has a distinctly unsafe feel about it -there are prostitutes and dubious characters hanging around, it seems to be in an unsafe part of town and, despite its name, it is not particularly near Union Station at all. I had a frightening experience in this part of town as a result of what happened at this hotel and I won't ever go back

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

At this hotel we started our 3 weeks road-trip from Washington to Boston. First of all I'd like to point out that it already was a challenge to find the hotel loaded with bags and suitcases. Perhaps the hotel could communicate, when booking a room, that there is a shuttle-service from central station to the hotel. Anyway, when we finally arrived at the hotel, it didn't look very welcoming from the outside, but once inside there was a beautiful lobby with friendly personnel. We got a room at the side of the railway, and also our airco-system was rather noisy, but with good earplugs I didn't have any problem sleeping through the noise :-).

The hotel room and bathroom were very large and clean, the bed was comfy. And the receptionist called us half an hour after arrival at the room to check if the room met our expectations. The main attraction during breakfast were the waffles you could bake yourself, furthermore they had great coffee, so breakfast was ok but rather basic.

As I said before, the hotel has a shuttle service that brings you from and to central station, but do make sure you catch the shuttle on time as the seats are limited (check departure times with the receptionist!).

The hotel offers free use of a computer in a separate room at the reception desk (you need your room badge to get in) and free use of some fitness training equipment.

When checking out I found personnel being less friendly compared to when we checked in. But overall I was happy to start our first four nights in the US in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Whitesboro, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I was in town for a College Basketball game that was being hosted at Catholic University. I am not familiar with the area therefore was looking for a hotel in close proximity to the college. I will have to say my experience was less than desirable. The area is less than desirable and I would not recommend going out unattended. There were no wash clothes in room. There was no hot water it was Luke warm at best for showers. The "free breakfast" was a joke. It was overrun by other guests and the hostess could not keep up with the guests and keeping food available for all. The only positive was the room was clean . The shuttle left without us and the night clerk had to call him back. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites New York Ave? Share your experiences!