“Enjoyed our stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol

You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol
Ranked #84 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Hampton, Virginia
“Enjoyed our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Our company was there recently to host job interviews for a new location in the DC area. Wonderful customer service, beautiful rooms, close the the Metro station and restaurants. Staff was very accommodating to our needs. Would definitely stay again for personal travel to the area.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Lumber Bridge, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Location:
The metro is located next to the hotel so it is very easy to get around the DC area. Located downtown, it is difficult to walk to sightseeing locations because the sidewalks are not always connected and there is heavy traffic in this area. Across from the hotel is a Five Guys hamburger restaurant. Built in the same building as the hotel (out the front door about 15 feet) is a small 7-11 convenience store. On the same side street as the hotel is a Dunkin' Donuts and Subway. There is a Chinese restaurant (Yums) that delivers to the hotel rather quickly and was excellent.

Check In:
There is a small pull in lane (fits approx 5 cars) The valets are pleasant and are actively there immediately to help with bags and parking 24 hours a day. During busy times it is extremely difficult to pull in and we were forced to double park. Parking is expensive - Valet was $35 plus tax per night but with the metro next door we found this to be a more convenient option. The ground floor of the hotel is the valet service. The hotel lobby is on the 2nd floor. This was very nice as only guests are in the lobby. The lobby is large and there are two desk clerks working. In the lobby there is plenty of seating areas to get together with friends. There is also a small gym, and bar that serves food until 10pm. Located next to the check in desks there is community computers and desks.

Security: We felt very secure. A room key is needed in the elevator to go up beyond floor 2. Also there were security guards at the location.

Staff: The staff were very friendly. They were also very helpful in finding restaurants and locations around DC.

Room: We have stayed at this location twice. Once in a king room and once in a double double room. Both times the rooms were very clean. There is a small fridge and coffee maker, no microwave. The bathrooms were clean with a large mirror. The king room had glass shower doors and the double double had a shower curtain. Water pressure was strong in the shower. The beds were very comfortable, the mattress, bedding, and pillows.

Negative:
The only mirrors are in the bathroom. With a few girls in our room this made putting on make up and fixing hair difficult. A mirror over the desk would be nice.

The back side of the hotel is on the metro line. You can hear the metro announcer and horns from other trains in your room starting at about 5am and going until midnight. Try to stay on floor 5 or above as the sound is less the higher you are.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have a better view. Avoid the back of the hotel - if that is the on...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Bridgwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't know what we paid for this hotel as it was part of a package but the hotel certainly exceeded our expectations. The package we took was terrific value all round so the hotel must have been well priced and yet it is a really great place to stay and I would happily recommend it to anyone wanting a stylish and convenient Hotel when visiting Washington. The welcome we received on our arrival was the warmest you could wish for and from that point until we went home we experienced nothing other than top quality service from every member of staff we encountered. They were friendly, helpful, professional and courteous the entire time. They all appeared to enjoy their work and made us feel like important guests and valued customers. They are a credit to the Marriott. The room we stayed in was spacious, well equipped, comfortable, nicely decorated and surprisingly noise free. We were right on top of the metro line tracks and yet we were not disturbed by noise from the tracks at any time during our two night stay. Our bed was enormous and supremely comfortable. The location is only just outside of the city centre but it is walking distance or a very short and very cheap journey on the Very efficient Metro rail system. We used the Metro on all 3 of our days in Washington and it is a brilliant system. The station could not be closer to the hotel, it is literally right next door. If I was going to be really picky in my review of the hotel I would say that the heating system was noisy but that really is me trying to find something negative to say in order to achieve some kind of balance. Ultimately I can honestly say that our visit to Washington DC was a truly memorable trip and that this lovely hotel played a really important part in our wonderful short break.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here a week with my two young daughters. I thought the room was great. Being located right at the Metro station was also a big plus. Dining options weren't quite "kid friendly". But we weren't there for the hotel restaurant anyways. Overall, an excellent stay

Stayed August 2014
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for the review. I am sure that other guests will enjoy reading your comments - knowing that you trusted your daughter's experience with us.

We have a kids menu available, I fear that we missed an opportunity to properly explain that. As a father of an 8 year old, that is a strong consideration of mine as well.

We hope to see you again soon.

Safe travels

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I only have one not so great thing to say about this hotel, so I'll start off with that. The location is so-so. It's great because it's just a few steps away from the train and just a block away from some local restaurants, groceries, etc. Unfortunately, you can hear the train in your sleep all night and morning, except for when they are off. I stayed in a room right next to the train so I can hear it nice and clear. The neighborhood is not sooo great but it's do-able. Aside from that our stay was great.The service was fantastic! The room we had was large and was cleaned every day. The view was nice as well. It was a very clean hotel with an indoor pool to enjoy. The staff was very nice and greeted us on our way in and out at all times. The train takes about 10 tp 15 minutes into the museum mall or China town. It's an easy commute. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed September 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate and value all feedback. I am sorry that you experienced louder than normal noise from the train, that is not common.

We are proud to be in this new neighborhood. Called "NoMa"....which is North of Massachusetts Avenue, this is the fastest growing neighborhood in DC…and the first area with free outdoor wifi. The area is undergoing a 10-year transformation…and as we approach the 6th year we have seen a great deal of improvements. We are proud to be one of the original tenants in this area!

Thank you for the comments about the staff - we look forward to sharing your comments and celebrating with the team.

We appreciate your stated desire to return to the hotel...we value nothing greater than the loyalty of our guests.

Safe travels and thank you for staying with us

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Room Tip: In my profile (Silver Member here) Marriott usually puts me in a room further away from the elevator...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and for staying with us recently. We are excited to show Annie and Kamara your kind words. Like you, we are excited for the future as more and more restaurants open in the area. We receive great feedback from our guests about our house restaurant, the Bistro...but we also look forward to more openings soon.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Safe travels,

Mike Wilson

Review: Annie, who checked me in at the Front Desk, extremely warm and friendly! Kamara from Housekeeping, a gem! Hotel was as I expect from Marriott, comfortable. Nothing earthshattering to report except 2 things: 1 good, the other, not so much. EXTREMELY convenient to the Metro from National Airport, but on the downside, if you are looking to be close to restaurants and having more than a couple of choices, AND if you do not have access to a car, then this location has it's limits. Having nothing to do with the hotel itself, the area does not lend itself to many choices. It was fine for me because for only a weekend visit of 3 days, The 7/11, McDonalds, Wendys Starbucks and Five Guys was ok for that short stay. The Indian Restaurant right next door was mediocre at best (but then I live in NYC)! Again, the property was fine, but the area it's in, has it's limits! Just one person's opinion!
Canada, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed three nights while attending a big conference at the Convention Center. For $90 on Hotwire, I was satisfied with my stay. The room was quiet (facing away from tracks) for two of the three nights I was in residence. One night, I had next door neighbors who were watching Monday night football. I was about 10 minutes from calling down to the desk about their whooping and hollering as the game wound down (it was a playoff). But as soon as the game ended, they quieted down and I went to sleep.

The room needed a deep cleaning, particularly the carpet and bathroom floor. There is rarely enough cleaning of floor surfaces in these mid-range hotels in the US, in my experience.

If you're a tea drinker, the in room coffee machine won't do such a good job, but it works (especially if you bring your own cups). The cheap plastic cups that Courtyards stock for in room beverages actually change the taste of the beverage - and I'm guessing they release some chemicals into the hot water that I'd prefer to keep out of my body.

Adjacent Au Bon Pain is good for breakfast, and Metro is convenient.

It took about 25 minutes to walk down New York Ave. to the Convention Center, although the chaps in the entrance area who park cars discouraged me from walking. They made it sound like I had a 50% chance of making it to the Convention Center alive walking through Northeast DC. Guess I got lucky ;)

Room Tip: Face away from the tracks.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your detailed review. I see you are a top contributor and frequent traveler. We value all feedback, and appreciate your efforts with constructively assisting us improve.

We appreciate you staying with us and apologize that your football fan neighbors were more noisy than we'd expect. I trust their team won..as the noise apparently subsided quickly!

I would appreciate it if you could send me an email at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may personally learn your room number (by knowing your name I can research). I would like to personally inspect the room for areas of opportunity, especially with the carpet and flooring.

As a fellow tea drinker, I understand your feedback. We do have additional tea options in our Bistro available throughout the day. I regret that we did not provide you with those options proactively.

We are pleased you found our location convenient (restaurants and metro).

Adjacent Au Bon Pain is good for breakfast, and Metro is convenient. While the distance to walk to the convention center is manageable, I believe the valet attendants were encouraging an abundance of caution as travel beyond our neighborhood is not generally pedestrian friendly as there is quite a bit of traffic on New York Avenue.

Thank you again for your comments - I hope we can stay connected.

Safe travels,

Mike Wilson

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol? Share your experiences!