“Convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol

You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol
Ranked #82 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Richland, Washington
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I chose this property because its front door is about 100 feet from the NoMa-Gallaudet Metro station, which is only one stop from Union Station. As a result some rooms get noise from Metro trains, but I was on the 8th floor and it did not bother me. I stayed only one night and did not use any hotel services, but I found the room very spacious and comfortable. I would stay here again if I need to be in this part of DC. I should add that I am not too familiar with the neighborhood, but it seems to be undergoing a lot of gentrification, and the presence of this hotel seems to be a part of that transition.

Room Tip: A room that doesn't face the Metro tracks might be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for your review and comments about the hotel. We are happy you chose our hotel for our great location. We wish you stayed more than 1 night and got a chance to dine with us and experience the best parts of our area.

It sounds like you were well rested and found the room to be quiet - that's terrific!

Our neighborhood is called "NoMa" which stands for North of Mass Ave. It is the fastest growing neighborhood in DC and the first area with free outdoor wifi in the city. The area has undergone a massive transformation in the past 5 years! The daytime population of NoMa swells to 55,000 while the official residential population is approaching 20,000. The best is yet to come - and like our team, we are all thrilled to be part of the revitalization story in NE Washington DC!

We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for staying with us!

M Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. Our first visit in April found us in a room overlooking the train lines. The noise was not so too bad. The rooms were clean and the valet guys were nice. This second time, the air conditioning did not work. It took 2 calls to get it working. The front desk people seemed to have an attitude. Being from Norther NJ we are used to "tude" I just do not appreciate it when I am paying a lot for my room. Although we were in town for Orientation for Catholic University, we unlike a previous respondent, were not given any university discount. It is very convenient to the metro but many very aggressive homeless constantly approached us for money. Yes I realize this is a city, we are in NYC a lot, but this was uncomfortable. Bar tender was great, coffee was fine. Not much in the way of eating, but options are a couple of metro stops away.We were also given a room right by the elevator and the dinging of the bell could be heard in the room. the WiFi was very slow. We will be back in October and even though we are loyal Marriott Elite members, I have booked into another hotel. May try again but not sure.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the return visit! I am terribly sorry there was an issue with your air conditioning. I personally understand how frustrating that can be. As Trip Advisor does not provide me specific room information, may I ask that you privately contact me at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may learn what room you were in? I would like to personally inspect this room with my team.

I am very concerned that you had an unfortunate interaction with a homeless person. Washington, DC does have homeless, like every major city, however it is very uncommon to see aggressive behavior. I personally partner with the DC Coalition for the Homeless in order to be part of the greater solution in our city. I am optimistic that things will improve across the city.

Thank you for the positive comments on our bartender - we will definitely share your feedback and we certainly appreciate your loyalty through our Marriott Rewards program. I hope to stay connected to you to work through any concerns.

Thank you for staying with us.

M Wilson

*PS - the hotel is currently undergoing a high-speed internet upgrade that should improve speed and connection greatly in the near future.
Bridgwater, Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Just one stop from Union St station, the hotel is adjacent to the metro station (red line) and central Washington is in easy reach from this hotel. In a quiet area there are a few eateries nearby incl a Five Guys for fans of the best burgers in the US and an Au Bon Pain and small c-store. Rooms are modern and spacious. Hotel food was good. Plenty of plug and USB points. Free wifi throughout hotel and a free business centre with computers and printers to check in for your flight, print boarding passes etc. Ideal and convenient hotel for exploring DC and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate how much you enjoyed our convenient location. We will celebrate your comments about our food quality.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

i've stayed here once before and noticed a musty odor in the room which surprised me for a marriott...my only complaint. The first visit our room was really small and on the opposite side of the tracks that many people review about. It was very quiet

This time we requested 2 queen beds and all rooms with queen beds are on the railroad tracks side. We were on the 8th floor, and yes we could hear the trains go by and an occasional horn but it WASN'T bothersome or loud. Didn't interrupt sleep and I'm a light sleeper. I think being on a higher floor may have helped with the sound. This room was clean and odorless with the exception of the wardrobe and drawers..musty again...I just didn't use them. The room was odorless though and very clean

Staff very accomodating. Au Bon Pain next door for breakfast if you don't want to eat in the hotel. More variety at Au Bon Pain. There is a Five Guys right across the street.

NOT A GOOD AREA for walking at night. We took the metro during the day it is right next door and only 2 stops from Catholic University which was convenient. We also took cabs and Uber, Uber proved to be most convenient of two and less expensive. Always available. NOTE: Don't take UBER during 'surge' times as this means you will pay double to triple b/c its a busy time. You have to approve it on app so you'll know if its surge time. We only ran into that once. All drivers were great. Uber definintely got us to destinations with shorter routes than cabs it seemed. Our last Uber driver drove us to White House for photos and waited patiently then returned us to college... and onto hotel. He was very nice and it only cost $30 for over an hour with him

Catholic University had a college orientation rate of $129/night at Marriott so def. worth it.

I'll stay here in the future when I come back to visit

Room Tip: Higher floors if requesting two queen beds which are on railroad side
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your thoughtfully worded review. We appreciate you returning to our hotel.

Thank you for noting the silence of our train-facing rooms. The housekeeping team will also be excited to learn that they made a difference. In fact, it seems by your review that the entire team was memorable - thank you for mentioning it for others to read.

Washington, DC is a wonderful city, and like any major city, nighttime walking excursions should be carefully approached. We are located adjacent to the ATF Headquarters, Department of Justice and we enjoy our partnership with their police.

As you noted, taxi service in our entire city is not yet ideal. Our new neighborhood, NoMa, is the fastest growing area - yet traffic in DC is a problem during rush hour. The vast majority of our guests use the Metro Train or Uber, as you did.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

M Wilson

If you have a moment, please send me a note at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may learn what room had an odor concern, I would like to personally inspect it. I am sorry that you experienced this uncommon problem.
cranberry twp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed here because we had a concert at the national stadium. It is within walking distance and also close to restaurants. They staff were very helpful and polite. The rooms were clean and bed was very comfortable. The only issue we had was the valet parking. They didn't tell us it is first come, first serve. The manager was very helpful and offered us breakfast because they didn't tell us at check-in. It was a minor issue and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed our location for the concert. Whether for a baseball game or concert, Nationals Park is very convenient with our hotel being adjacent to the Metro.

Thank you for the wonderful comments on the staff regarding their memorable service and cleanliness. I am sorry there was a slight communication issue regarding our parking. Due to high volume, we usually manage on first come/first serve. We appreciate your understanding.

Please let us know when you will be back in the area. We welcome a chance to serve you again.

Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

It is great for business/leisure purposes. It has a very good location, it is at the middle of everything one should visit in DC.

The only bad thing is that it doesnt have 24 hour room service, but besides that everything great.

Nage Bistro's Hamburger; Great!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for the review. We appreciate all feedback. So many guests enjoy our great location...I am pleased to see you did as well! We are glad that you enjoyed your Bistro Burger! Always great to hear.

Thank you for the suggestion about 24-hour food service. We will certainly explore that option and see if there is a way to incorporate that enhancement. I look forward to speaking to the team about that!

We hope to see you again soon and appreciate you staying with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

We were there for one night. Very clean and friendly staff. Closed to Au Bon Pain for good coffee. Expensive on site parking, but in DC, they are quite rare. Reasonnable rates. Nationals Park not too far. Fast valet service.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments about the staff and our terrific location. I am glad you got to enjoy a nearby restaurant.

We appreciate your comment about our reliable and quick valet service! Hopefully, we will see you again soon!

Thank you for staying with us.