“Great Hotel but gets expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 2nd Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 20% In DC
Ranked #86 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Hotel but gets expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Not sure why any Marriott Gold or above awards member would ever stay at a Courtyard. There are no benefits. Restaurant is expensive. Alcoholic beverages are unaffordable. The only saving grace of this and other Courtyards is the staff. This Courtyard has a very attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your review. We value nothing greater than loyalty, especially from Elite members such as yourself.

Marriott Gold Members who choose to earn points are credited 25% bonus on base points earned during stays, receive priority late checkouts, and even 10% discounts on available weekend stays.

We appreciate you dining with us in our Bistro. We have several options on our upgraded menu for travelers with different travel budgets. I apologize if some of our options exceeded your expense allowance on your business trip.

We are very proud of our staff and are excited to hear that you agree! Thank you very much for staying with us - and thank you for your loyalty.

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Needham, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the DC Capitol Marriott Courtyard in April. We were in DC for the Nike Women's Half Marathon and needed a safe hotel near public transportation. The Courtyard is directly above the Gallaudet University Metro station and is just a few stops from the Washington Mall. The Courtyard has taken some extra steps to ensure the comfort and safety of its guests. The elevators will not go to a floor where guests rooms are located without a room key card. In addition, although check-in and the concierge are located on the second floor, there was always at least one doorman at the hotel entrance. Check-in was seamless. The attendant offered us early check-in and was very pleasant and helpful.

Even though the hotel is above the subway and near a freight train line, we slept soundly both nights. The room was clean and had everything we needed.

The night before the half marathon, the waiter at the bistro recommended a wonderful, very large sausage rigatoni plate. He mentioned that the Courtyard hosts the pasta party for the Marine Corps Half Marathon and went over the carb-loading entrees on the menu. The next morning, by 5:30 a.m., there were cases of complimentary bottled water, pastries and fruit for the runner-guests to take with them. Upon returning from the race, I was welcomed by two doormen with more snacks and bottled water. The Marriott Courtyard does a wonderful job of making its guests feel welcome and appreciated. This particular Courtyard took the Marriott's hospitality to a new level.

Room Tip: A higher floor is better since there is a lounge on the second floor and the building is over the su...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you very much for your detailed review and especially for posting weeks after your stay. Our team will be excited to learn they made quite an impression!

The Nike Women's Half is an amazing race...we heard it's one of the best!

Thank you for your comments about the parking team, bellman and front desk staff. We are happy that you were able to rest easy the night before the race in a clean room!

Carb-loading is always important the night before and it sounds like you enjoyed a delicious selection. We trust it helped give you a boost across the finish line! The early-bird waters, pastries and fruits for runners started a new tradition for us. We look forward to doing this during every race weekend.

I know that our dedicated associates will be very honored to read your memorable comments about your stay. We are truly grateful that you connected with us so long after the race. We hope to see you again soon.

Happy Running,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Arrived an hour before set check-in time and our room was available. The young guy at the front desk was polite and friendly, but didn't go out of his way to explain the usual arrival speech given at other properties (explaining amenities, directing us to elevator or even which room we were in). The hotel appeared to possibly be newer. Our double queen room #615 had a view of the Metro rail and train tracks. I thought sound would be an issue, but it wasn't really that noticeable. I did run the fan without the AC all night to ensure I wouldn't hear outside noise. The furnishings appeared to be in like new condition and the bathroom was spotless. I did notice several stains on the wall under the window that need to be wiped off. The beds were extremely comfortable, however, with a thin duvet cover and sheet, an additional blanket or thicker top cover would have been nice. There was a mini fridge, but having a microwave would have been appreciated. There are several places to eat within the area of the hotel and even more if you wanted to walk further out. We easily walked to Union Station. The NoMa New York Avenue Metro stop is right next door which makes this hotel ideal for those interested in sightseeing. The mini market on the property was extremely limited in what it carried, as well as the 7-11 next door. Valet parking was $33. Steep, but expected in the city. I was quite impressed with the courteous older valet gentleman who got our car on departure day. He showed us to the garage, where we were able to easily get back on the road without having to make a U turn at the main entrance. He also asked us where we were going and gave directions on how to get there and wished us a good day. He should be applauded for his hospitable service. Though I did not give this hotel an excellent rating, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the detailed review. We are excited to read that you would not hesitate to stay with us again!

We are fortunate to have many outstanding associates and we are glad that our team was able to honor your early arrival. We appreciate the feedback about making sure we practice our 'arrival speech'. We will definitely make sure to touch all basic arrival points.

Like many others, I am glad you were pleased with the sound quality. I will make sure the room is inspected so we can look at the walls that need to be wiped, as you describe.

Your description of our neighborhood is so perfect. It is obvious you really connected to the immediate area. NoMa is a great place to work, live and an even better place for out of town guests to stay. We hope to see you again in the future!

Thank you for staying with us.

Safe Travels,

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel staff was nice and helpful. The room was clean and in working order. We heard a baby crying next door and the trains passing by because the room walls are too thin. There was only one sink and one mirror, both in the bathroom, so this hotel is not good for families. The bathroom didn't have a fan so it got hot and steamy. And the beds were too small. Although this may have been in the hotel description, I missed that this hotel only had valet parking which cost an additional $33. I wish they paid their valets sufficiently so they could prohibit tipping. Breakfast in not included. When we needed the car in the morning, it took the valets 20 minutes which made us late. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We truly value all feedback. We appreciate the comments about our nice and helpful staff, especially housekeeping and maintenance.

I am so sorry to learn that there were issues with noise during your stay. Many of the people on our staff are parents, so we can relate to how baby's can occasionally keep people awake. I am also sorry that the double-bed that you were in proved to be too small for your standard. It sounds like the valet charges caught you off-guard and there was a unique delay in returning your car at departure.

We truly enjoy hosting family's at our hotel and would love a chance to connect further and see how we may improve. Please drop me a note at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may learn more and see if I can help you return in the future.

Thank you for staying with us.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This is the perfect place to stay and enjoy the city. Washington has a great subway system and as long as you are close, you are in a good place. It eliminates the need for cabs to attractions and the airport or train station. The hotel itself was so safe, clean and friendly. I didn’t want to leave. And if I did have to go, I wanted to take that bed with me. It was so comfortable. The room was very quiet (although I was on the street side away from the trains) and there are several good restaurants and fast food places on the block. There is even a Seven 11 right next door. It is only one subway stop to Union Station, which means you can be there in five minutes and on the National Mall in 10. I just can’t say enough good things about this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for the review. We appreciate your comments about our convenient location. The train system is a terrific way to navigate the city. We are happy to learn that you were also able to get some rest while staying with us on one of our comfortable beds!

We hope to see you again soon!

Guwahati, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed in this hotel for a night with my family during my recent visit to Washington DC. We reached early, at 9am, after a tiring overnight journey from Boston. Though the check-in time is 3pm, when we approached the front desk with a request for early check-in ,we were immediately given the room keys. This hotel is located next to the Metro Red station, so commuting was easy and affordable. Service is excellent, as is expected from the Mariott group, with friendly staff from the concierge to the front desk persons.Wifi was a bit slow at times, but otherwise, we had a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the trailines are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mike W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review. We are glad you were able to bring your family down from Boston. I am sure an overnight train ride was tough! We always work hard to honor early arrival requests...I am pleased to learn that this worked well for you.

Our unique location works well for so many people...I am happy you're family enjoyed it as well. There are so many things to see in DC, and our location serves us well!

Our team never gets tired of reading positive reviews about their service and friendliness. I apologize that your WiFi was slower than expected. We are currently upgrading our service... which will be helpful for your next visit. If you have a moment, please email me regarding your room number. I can be reached directly at mike.wilson@marriott.com. I welcome the chance to stay connected, and I would like to personally audit the room with my iPad and laptop to see if I can improve the signal in that particular location.

Thanks again for the review, and for trusting us with your family's vacation.

Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When I told my friend who lives in DC that I was staying here, she was a little nervous about the location. Was it safe, she asked. The immediate area outside the hotel is but it is in redevelopment district that has had its problems in the past but I always felt safe. However the nature of the area if probably reflected by having to insert your room card into the elevator to access the hotel from the lobby.

Within 1 minute walk of the hotel is a branch of Au Bon Pain (great croissants), a 7-11, Five Guys and an Indian restaurant, a gyros/sandwich joint. And of course most important of all the NOMA/Gallaudet U (sometimes called by its old name New York Avenue) metro stop.

The rooms are typical Marriott Courtyard standard and are well maintained, comfortable and very clean, Everything you need for a hotel stay.

Noise

Firstly, if you have a room with a connecting door and noisy guests in the next room you can hear everything.

Secondly, some of the rooms look over the railway tracks (all the traffic from Union Station PLUS the metro) and this means LOTS of noise continuously from before dawn to late at night. I always bring ear plugs when I stay at a hotel and if you have one of these rooms I suggest you do as well! If you are a light sleeper you may want to ask for a different room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your detailed review. It seems that you quickly discovered that our neighborhood has transformed since your friend was last familiar with the area. We are now in a neighborhood known as "NoMa". NoMa is a moniker for "North of Massachusetts Ave" and is the fastest growing neighborhood in DC. The daytime population swells to 55,000 while 18,000 permanent residents call NoMa "home".

I like that you mentioned how seriously we take security by requiring key access to guest floors. We actually made this commitment years ago, not out of necessity, but as a promise to elevate the feeling of security for our government guests and tourists. Naturally, all guests love it!

Thank you for pointing out the many restaurants nearby. I hope you had a change to try our Bistro during your stay. I will share your comments about the room cleanliness and maintenance. Our associates are very dedicated and will be excited to hear you are recognizing them.

I apologize if there was an inconvenience with noise. I personally know how unsettling that can be if a neighbor chooses to make noise. We always encourage every guest to let us know if there is an issue, so that we can assist. If you have a moment, I welcome a note from you to my email at mike.wilson@marriott.com so that I may learn what room you visited. I would love a chance to personally audit this room for train noise to see if I can assist with addressing the issue. I have been pleased that WMATA rebuilt the tracks outside the hotel in the past several months. I have been in many rooms when Amtrak or Metro cruise by and have heard nothing, so I would welcome a chance to check this room.

We appreciate your recent visit. It sounds like you are very familiar with the Courtyard brand. Thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you again.

Safe travels.

M Wilson

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol? Share your experiences!