“100 Feet From The Metro” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 2nd Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #85 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
CONNECTICUT
“100 Feet From The Metro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights last week. Odd hotel, you check in on the 2nd floor, and later need your room key to get past the 2nd floor or come down from your room. Typical Marriott room, 711 next store, deli and 5 guys burgers across the street. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Expensive parking but this is DC. Another traveler told me the happy hour beer is almost $7, wonder what it is when it isn't on special. lol

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our location and our friendly team. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in DC – Chris Zanzano, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Weehawken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here for a personal trip and chose this hotel due to its location to some relatives. It is a decent hotel but needs some work to be up to the standards we expect, and pay for, from a city Marriott.

Pros:
1. The best thing that this hotel has going for it is location. It is right next to the NOMA Metro station, which is only a few stops from Metro Center, giving guests access to the entire city very easily. With regards to the location though, don’t wander too far north of the hotel, my relatives said that it is a rough area there.
2. If you like modern chic then you will like the décor. I am generally ambivalent towards modern chic but this was done tastefully.
3. Once I found someone to help me (see Con #4) they were friendly and able to accommodate my last minute request for connecting rooms.

Neutral:
1. This does not matter to me, but to some it may. There is a trend in some hotels to position the king size bed facing the window, against the wall closest to the door. I don’t mind, but others may.

Cons:
1. The price is acceptable for Washington DC, but based on the cons, it was too much. I need to preface this so my cons do not sound like a picky snob but a seasoned traveler who is willing to pay more for location and service but gets rather upset when not met.
2. The walls are too thin for a city center hotel, especially for a brand new building. We could hear people outside talking (we were on the third floor). This is unacceptable in any modern hotel, but especially in city center hotel.
3. The valet situation in front of the hotel is just sloppy. There is a small indent in the curb to pull the cars in for the valet. This is a growing area and I find it amazing that they did not have a covered circular driveway or a valet garage for the guest to pull into found in many city hotels.
4. This one really bugged me. We arrived around 6 pm on a Friday. I went to the front desk and no one was there. I was looking around, trying to find a bell or something. I looked over to the coffee shop / food area and there were a few employees watching TV and chatting. One looked over at me and came up and asked if I was checking in. I can understand a break in the middle of the day or middle of the night, but primetime on a Friday is just irresponsible.
5. Finally, the breakfast was just not good. There is a single line in front of a register with a small menu that everyone is crowding around. We ordered and then found a table to sit down. First morning the drinks came out and then way later the food came out. In my observation, the restaurant (café?) was under staffed. The employees were doing their best and running around like crazy but there were too many guests and not enough service personnel. The second morning was even worse. Our food came out 15-20 minutes after we ordered (eggs, waffles, and oatmeal should not take that long) and two of the entrees were completely forgotten about so those took 30 minutes from order.

Based on my experience I would not recommend this hotel until Marriott management gets some control over staff needs and training. The real problem though is that the walls are just too thin. I should not be able to hear a conversation people are having on the street while staying on the third floor of a brand new hotel. I have no idea how to fix that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your visit. I'm sorry you experienced so many issues during your stay. I have shared your comments with the leadership team. We continue to work with all of our associates to ensure they are providing the service our guests expect from a Marriott hotel. I apologize that your stay did not exceed your expectations. Thank you again for sharing your comments because we can only continue to improve. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Lutz, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was well kept - spotless. The rooms are clean and a good size. The rooms have a small fridge which is great for storing drinks. While we visited - there was a heat wave w/ heat index of 105 - 115. We stored bottles of water for our daily sightseeing.

The fitness center and pool are located together. The pool is 3.5' in depth and narrows to one side. With any kids in the pool it is difficult to do laps. We selected the hotel because it had a pool.

The restaurant - like most hotels - was expensive. We dined there one time and enjoyed the quesadillas. The restaurant / bar staff was friendly and helpful.

The problem is that there are few other options for food - especially late at night. The hotel bar / restaurant and room service all close at 10pm. We ordered from NY Pizza for delivery twice - good food. We ate breakfast at Au Bon Pain daily. $23 there vs. about $60 for breakfast in the hotel.

The hotel is located on the same block as the NY Ave Metro Station. This made it easy to get to Smithsonian (and the Mall area), Capitol South and Woodley Park (The National Zoo).

As another reviewer noted, there is a lot of construction going on nearby and you can hear that and the trains, but construction ends in the evening - so it's not a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback about your recent experience. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the stay and our convenient location to the metro. The area around the hotel continues to develop and we are very excited for the new retail stores and restaurants that are opening in the future. We look forward to seeing you again! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Clean hotel just so busy because of the building work and roadworks. Good location to the metro station. Because of the location not many places to eat of an evening as they all seem to close early. But for that price you can't really complain.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in DC – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Seongnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Best part was the location practically right outside the NoMa-Gallaudet metro stop...room was spacious and clean...great wifi and having the business center was nice to be able to print out some stuff...staff were very efficient and friendly...not much in the immediate surroundings of the hotel other than a 7-eleven and a Five Guys Burgers though...otherwise, a great choice for traveling in DC!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review. I am so pleased you had a wonderful visit to our hotel and DC. The location can’t be beat! We look forward to seeing you again in the future! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel...the rooms are comfortable and clean but you can hear everything in the hallway. Location was okay...next to a metro stop but so much construction in the area made it a bit hard to navigate. We had a nightmare the 2nd night...a group of kids from Italy were on our floor...slamming doors and screaming the hallways...called reception 3 times and nothing. My husband yelled at them...then I did (not quite as nicely as he did)...then I had to go down to reception to pitch a fit. (Seriously, the noise was ridiculous...doors slammed more than 40 times in an hour...and I mean SLAMMED!) finally a security guard came up...they called all of their chaperones...it finally quieted down around midnight. Honestly not sure if I would recommend or stay here again...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I apologize that you were not able to get a sound night sleep. We are looking forward to the completion on the construction in the area. The neighborhood around the hotel continues to be one of the fastest growing sections of the city. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My friends and I went on a girls trip and stayed at this hotel. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and helpful. The assistant manager, Micah was awesome! He was very professional, helpful and truly made our experience great! The bartender, Amanuel makes the best drinks so be sure to stop by during happy hour! Overall, our experience was one of the best experiences I've had visiting a hotel and will defintley stay there again! Micah truly cares about the customers and works hard to ensure thier happiness!!!! :)

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the larger rooms!