“Very pleasant, ok area, 30 seconds from Metro stop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol

You added Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 2nd Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #86 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
St.Paul, Minnesota
“Very pleasant, ok area, 30 seconds from Metro stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This apparently is a rapidly changing area very near Galladet University. There is LOTS of construction going on. I thought several times before booking here based on concerns others raised. NO problems whatever. I am very conscious of safety issues and see no problems with staying here. Can't talk about taking a 20-25 minute run or walk in the area. But the hotel is literally 30 seconds away from a Red LIne Metro Stop. A 7-11 is next store and several casual chain restaurants.

Free wi-fi that worked very well. I would have NO problem bringing a family here...as of March 2013 prices are well below what you'd find for similar quality in Alexandria or Arlington VA. Just before I checked in, another person checked in on business. He comes to DC regularly and told me he thinks this is "one of the best hotel bargains in the city." I agree.

This is not a super luxury hotel. But it is very pleasant for business people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the comment. I am happy that you enjoyed the NoMa neighborhood that we are located in and close proximity of the metro. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in DC! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Osprey, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Many good things to say about this hotel, especially the location adjacent to the first Metro stop outside of Union Station. The hotel itself is clean, bright, very well decorated, and the rooms are great. The odd-numbered rooms face the Metro, and it is sometimes noisy. The parking, at $33/night is awfully expensive. There is cheaper commercial parking within a couple of blocks, BUT there are also plenty of sketchy guys wandering the nearby streets, which makes it a bit uncomfortable, and maybe unsafe. If you are simply using the Metro to come and go, it's just fine. There's a Five Guys burger joint across the street, if that floats your boat, and a 7-11 next door for coffee and odds and ends. A McDonald is only two blocks away, too. I got a pretty good price (for a DC hotel) at about $200 w/taxes, so I cannot complain too much. It is not Dupont Circle or Georgetown, and it's not Chinatown, either. Free PCs and printers in the 2nd floor lobby are a big plus, as is free wired and wireless Internet. If you want to walk around at night, I'd recommend taking the Metro to the neighborhood of your choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear that you had many great things to say about the hotel. The area that the hotel is in continues to develop and grow. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. –Christopher Zazano, General Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were VERY pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The location is PERFECT (metro is RIGHT beside the hotel). All we had to do was hop on the Metro to go anywhere we wanted. The staff was very friendly and helped us with anything we needed. Found the housekeeping was the only flaw. They clearly didn't vaccume our room (in our haste to leave and see the sights a pair of jeans was left on the floor and when we returned the jeans were still there, untouched). They also didn't replenish the soap/lotion bottles that we had used.

Otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to see the sites of Washington!

Room Tip: We had the corner room and it was FABULOUS!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am happy to hear that the team was able to surprise and delight you with exceptional service during your recent stay. The location of the hotel continues to be a wonderful amenity for many guests who use the metro when traveling around the city. I have also shared the comments with the housekeeping team as we are committed to addressing all issues. I am very excited to hear that you would highly recommend the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel to DC. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I were in the DC.area on a weekend trip from Ohio.On the first night of our stay we stayed at the Bethseda Marriot.This turned out to be a huge and pricey MISTAKE.The room rate at that property was double of what we paid here.I requested a refrigerator when I booked the reservation due to the fact that I take weekly Insulin for diabetes.When we arrived around 1PM we were allowed to check in.Needless to say no refrigerator,called front desk was told it would be there shortly,6 hours later the refrigerator finally arrived.Now back to the courtyard DC.
When we arrived we were greeted by a young man named Darrell,he was very pleasant and explained to us were eveything was, and let us check in early.The room was nice but the airfreshner that they use was a bit overwellming.
One of the good things about this hotel is how close it it to the Metro station,30 second walk.There are several eateries nearby.The deli across the street has good subsandwiches,There is also a 5 guys hamburger,McDonalds and Wendy's are a short 2 minute walk around corner.I would rate this hotel better than the higher rated Marriott.We would stay here on our next trip to DC.Good Job Darrell.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments about the hotel. I am very happy to hear that the team exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed the NoMa neighborhood. I have shared the positive comments about Darrell with him. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Canton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

the hotel is located a block or two from railroad tracks and trains pass by here ALL day and night long. You hear every noise as if the train was running through your room. Even with the A/C on full blast and a white noise machine going it was LOUD and no earplugs provided by hotel! $33/night for valet parking was outrageous. Seriously like a 30 second walk to the Metro station, which was extremely convenient and the only reason I booked this hotel. Very close to Gallaudet U. DIdn't try the restaurant in the hotel as reviews stated it was mediocre at best. An Au Bon Pain restaurant next to hotel was nice for breakfast-really friendly and helpful staff there. 5 Guys restaurant across the street was good for lunch. Be aware that the few restaurants in this area close soon after lunch. Area is known as an "up and coming neighborhood". Plan accordingly.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any "good rooms" here if you are looking to get a solid nigh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback about your recent stay. I apologize that you were not able to get a sound night sleep. In the future the hotel will have earplugs available by request. The entire team is committed to exceeding your expectations. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and the close proximity to the metro. We set the parking prices to be competitive with the local hotels but do understand how the price can sometimes be frustrating. We hope you continue to choose to Marriott when traveling. –Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here for work at the Presidential Inauguration. The room was very clean, modern and the hotel was convenient to the metro to get back and forth to Capitol for work. The bathroom was roomy for a city hotel that was high rise. Sometimes you find that the bathrooms are small and cramped for space. Overall, very good stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for the positive note about your experience in the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the Presidential Inauguration. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Westport, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I prefer to stay at Marriotts and asked my assistant to find the one closest to the Longworth House (Congress). I knew I was in trouble when the cabbie asked me why I was staying there and told me not to walk around (I was in a suit). It is right near a metro, so if you will be traveling in daylight, don't have suitcases, etc., and just need a place to stay, it would be ok. I got in at 9:55 pm, just as the bistro was closing. They did make my salad, which was sort of like what you would get at an airport deli, but they wouldn't deliver it to my room. Oatmeal and coffee the next day were fine. They had to radio for a cab in the morning. The room was clean and nice. Free wifi (not sure if that's because of my Marriott status). Just did not like location or meal set up as a hotel for business travel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay at the hotel. I apologize we did not meet your expectations during the stay. I personally value the feedback as the hotel continues to improve our service and amenities fir guest regardless of what time they arrive. The hotel is located in the NoMa District which is one of the fastest developing areas in Washington DC. The leadership team in the hotel is committed to resolving issues such as these from happening again.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC / U.S. Capitol? Share your experiences!