“Taylor Is To Hoagies What Chipotle Is To Burritos - Only Better” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, American, Sandwiches, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Northern Virginia
“Taylor Is To Hoagies What Chipotle Is To Burritos - Only Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I read a recent Wash Post mention of this place and there was an accompanying appetizing color photo of a hoagie. Yum! I was half-way there already! From the Yellow Line Chinatown stop it's only a short four-block walk to K & 5th Sts. I'm from Atlantic City and love South Jersey subs (White House, Vic's, Sack-O). Taylor's doesn't make jersey subs; they make Philly hoagies which are different and not a fair comparison. The bread isn't soft italian, it's a crusty sesame hoagie roll which, as another reviewer stated, was a great base for the fresh italian salamis and cheese. I had the Lombard Avenue: soppressata, genoa salami, roasted red peppers, pesto, mozzarella, oil and lettuce, tomato, and onions added by request. The oil was superbly flavorful. It was so great, I will definitely be back. The website (I ordered online for a no wait pickup) and shop itself reminded me of Chipotle but with a more superior product. I still haven't discovered a south Jersey sub here yet (Mangialardo & Sons is next) but I can survive in between trips home with theseTaylor hoagies!

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

DC
“A bit pricey but yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

A local favorite. Sandwhiches are fantastic, but a bit pricey.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kildare
“A taste of Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Great for lunch, excellent sandwiches, very reasonably priced.

Visited October 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Authentic Philadelphia Deli in DC, with Vintage Soda Pop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

There are several Taylor Gourmet Delis in the Washington DC area. Our son took us to the one at 5th and K. It's a funky, authentic Philadelphia Deli - the owners are from Philadelphia, the bread arrives daily from Philadelphia and the "Hoagies" - with very interesting combinations of ingredients - are named for streets and places in Philadelphia. The sandwiches are delicious and the ingredients fresh.

On the funky side - the light fixtures are 50 gallon drums and 5 gallon white plastic buckets suspended from the ceiling. The HVAC ducts are exposed below the concrete ceiling. A commercial garage door rolls up to open the deli to picnic tables outside when the weather is warm.

They serve Boylan Soda (all you can drink) - an old fashioned style, all natural soda pop. When we were there they had Root Beer, Birch Beer, Cream Soda, Black Cherry, Ginger Ale, and several diet flavors. The soda pop reminds me of my youth (remnants of an even earlier time) and the "Hoagies" remind me of my years in Philadelphia. It all brings back fond memories.

It is a fun and inexpensive place to grab a Hoagie in DC.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“Local chain serves up delicious deli sandwiches, salads, risotto balls and old fashioned fountain soft drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My brother and his wife are big fans. This Philadelphia-style deli reminded me of open air Taco restaurants of the southwest with its big, open store front. It was difficult to choose from among all the sandwich combinations. We ordered one italian sandwich, two arugula salads, risotto balls, fountain sodas and gelati to share. It was more than enough for three adults and one child to share! The crusty sesame hoagie roll was a great base for the fresh italian salamis and cheese. The arugula was spicy and perfectly dressed (one salad with chevre and one with mozzerelle). I usually like my risotto balls with white instead of seasoned rice, but after tasting Taylors risotto ball, I won't be picky in the future. The decor is bare: polished cement floor, open garage door, wooden plank tables and metal chairs and stools. There is a selection of Italian groceries, sodas and wines. Sadly the wine and beer is off-premises only! The place is not air conditioned, we were all in business attire. It was a little extra warm on a D.C. summer day, but honestly we did not mind at all. I am usually freezing in any restaurant, so I was not about to complain about a little swelter. The deli counter guy was adorable, friendly, helpful and apologetic (re: not being able to drink a beer in the restaurant).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere