“Rude staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of District Hotel Washington

You added District Hotel Washington to your Saves list
District Hotel Washington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1440 Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #118 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

They have the worst and rudest staff. We booked online at hotel baron (their sister hotel) and when we get there he told us we have no room and send us another hotel calls district hotel. We checked in there but then it took 2 hr my husband trying to find a parking and it was 8 pm . I had to call front desk to tell him situation and my voice was angry of course. 8 pm in dc no parking we missed our dinner reservation , drove 4 hr. and he telling me don't raise your voice you are lady act like one. We ended up leaving after how he treated me. And paying twice As much getting last min another hotel. Mean time room was horrifiying

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Thai first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

easy check in, free upgrade to a large double bed (room 408)- no working lift but short flights of stairs, clean sheets & towels with daily changes, comfortable mattress,tv & iron but no coffee machine(coffee in lounge from 06.30 morning makes up for it) but working aircon, working hot shower & decent bathroom facilities, basic but palatable continental breakfast with newspaper( in the small lounge!) included, business room with good internert connection, excellent safe location for downtown, i know some reviews have been critical of this place but if you want a hotel for above reasons, then i recommend staying here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My experience at this hotel was not good. Check in was easy. That was about the only good thing about the stay. I was given a room on the third floor. The elevator was out of order. The room I was given was barely big enough to hold a double bed. The furniture is in need of serious repair. There is no central air condtioning. The room had a very old window unit. Two of the three lights in the bathroom were burned out. When I opened the door to my room on the morning of checkout, I was surprised to find a man sleeping in the hall outside of my room. Not sure if he was a guest or someone who had managed to get into the hotel. I informed the two desk clerks upon checkout and one went immediately to investigate the situation. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is not good. At best its a bad hostel. It is not very modern and the room I stayed in was just crap.
The "air-con" was an old extremely loud box that was attached to the single pain glass window and shook the room - meaning that not only was it merely a fan, you could not open the window and when turned off you could hear everythign from the street.
As it turned out however not being able to open the window was in effect a good thing because it menat that the pigeon who nestled on the windowsill outside was not able to fly in - neither were his friends who flew by to say hello - again something that I have never seen in a hotel before.
There was no closet to hang anything in.
If the bathroom door was open you could clearly hear what was going on in the next room - to include if next door's toilet flushed.

The only positive thing about this "hotel" was its location.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The accommodations were very basic; there wasn't even a coffee maker in the room. The location is really good, but that likely won't be enough for me stay here again. The thing that prevents me from going here again is that there was no internet connection in the hotel room. The friendly front desk advised me to use my computer in the lobby. But the lobby has a youth hostel feel to it.

They really need to add true WiFi access.

Another thing: turning on the bathroom light, also turns on the bathroom fan. This fan is VERY loud and pretty much drowns out any other sound. So you can't shave while listening to anything.

One more thing: the cleaning supplies cart was parked right outside my room. This is usually parked inside a janitorial closet. But during the 48 hours I was there, the cart never moved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bedminster, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Old room that had not been renovated in at least 25 years. Cracked tub in shower, missing light bulbs above sink, grimy old carpet, stained bed spread. I should have checked TripAdvisor before booking at this hotel.
Location is just 2 blocks from the metro and 15 min walk to the Mall or GWU. Front desk staff was fairly helpful with providing directions around town. If you like the location, make sure you get a good deal on price, because I would not think it is often sold out.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked this hotel for 3 nights, Sept.5-8. It was a pre-paid reservation through Expedia. We only stayed 1 night. It was one horrible night.
We went there all the way from.Puerto Rico. It was a quick getaway, and the pictures looked nice. I didn't see the reviews on this site...never again. If I would have read all these comments, I would have avoided one of the worst nights if my life. This place needs to be shutdown immediately. The smell is foul, the room is disgusting. The door did not close, the staff is rude...please, DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE WE MADE: DO NOT STAY HERE. We could not get a refund, but we didn't care. We checked out on Sept. 6 and went to the Holiday Inn on C Street. It was heaven, and our vacation was saved. The District Hotel is a dump, and on Monday I'll call to require an inspection from the Health Department.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to District Hotel Washington? Share your experiences!