“Not recommended” 1 of 5 stars
Review of District Hotel Washington

You added District Hotel Washington to your Saves list
District Hotel Washington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1440 Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #120 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My experience at this hotel was not good. Check in was easy. That was about the only good thing about the stay. I was given a room on the third floor. The elevator was out of order. The room I was given was barely big enough to hold a double bed. The furniture is in need of serious repair. There is no central air condtioning. The room had a very old window unit. Two of the three lights in the bathroom were burned out. When I opened the door to my room on the morning of checkout, I was surprised to find a man sleeping in the hall outside of my room. Not sure if he was a guest or someone who had managed to get into the hotel. I informed the two desk clerks upon checkout and one went immediately to investigate the situation. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is not good. At best its a bad hostel. It is not very modern and the room I stayed in was just crap.
The "air-con" was an old extremely loud box that was attached to the single pain glass window and shook the room - meaning that not only was it merely a fan, you could not open the window and when turned off you could hear everythign from the street.
As it turned out however not being able to open the window was in effect a good thing because it menat that the pigeon who nestled on the windowsill outside was not able to fly in - neither were his friends who flew by to say hello - again something that I have never seen in a hotel before.
There was no closet to hang anything in.
If the bathroom door was open you could clearly hear what was going on in the next room - to include if next door's toilet flushed.

The only positive thing about this "hotel" was its location.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The accommodations were very basic; there wasn't even a coffee maker in the room. The location is really good, but that likely won't be enough for me stay here again. The thing that prevents me from going here again is that there was no internet connection in the hotel room. The friendly front desk advised me to use my computer in the lobby. But the lobby has a youth hostel feel to it.

They really need to add true WiFi access.

Another thing: turning on the bathroom light, also turns on the bathroom fan. This fan is VERY loud and pretty much drowns out any other sound. So you can't shave while listening to anything.

One more thing: the cleaning supplies cart was parked right outside my room. This is usually parked inside a janitorial closet. But during the 48 hours I was there, the cart never moved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bedminster, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Old room that had not been renovated in at least 25 years. Cracked tub in shower, missing light bulbs above sink, grimy old carpet, stained bed spread. I should have checked TripAdvisor before booking at this hotel.
Location is just 2 blocks from the metro and 15 min walk to the Mall or GWU. Front desk staff was fairly helpful with providing directions around town. If you like the location, make sure you get a good deal on price, because I would not think it is often sold out.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked this hotel for 3 nights, Sept.5-8. It was a pre-paid reservation through Expedia. We only stayed 1 night. It was one horrible night.
We went there all the way from.Puerto Rico. It was a quick getaway, and the pictures looked nice. I didn't see the reviews on this site...never again. If I would have read all these comments, I would have avoided one of the worst nights if my life. This place needs to be shutdown immediately. The smell is foul, the room is disgusting. The door did not close, the staff is rude...please, DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE WE MADE: DO NOT STAY HERE. We could not get a refund, but we didn't care. We checked out on Sept. 6 and went to the Holiday Inn on C Street. It was heaven, and our vacation was saved. The District Hotel is a dump, and on Monday I'll call to require an inspection from the Health Department.

• Stayed September 2012
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

OK, that's a pretty basic hotel, bathrooms are a bit old and equipment is not top of the top, but I found staff friendly and the location is really excellent, 15 minutes walk from White House.
Don't expect huge variety at breakfast, although we did not have problems of refills.
There is a great "Whole Foods" supermarket minutes away.
My only real criticism is about aircon, which is REALLY noisy.
Should this hotel be in a remote suburb, I would rate it as "Poor" (for the price), but for our family trip, it proved "Very good".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Coulee Dam, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked a room on the web handled by Hotelopia. When getting to the hotel for checking in there was no room available, the hotel staff claimed that there had been some rooms 'out of service'. They had relocated us to another hotel further away from the city to a room without a daylight window in the basement, that did not like. Trying to contact the Hotelopia and get a refund was unsuccessful so we had to accept the other hotel.
It is very strange that from one evening to the afternoon the other day that rooms just no longer are avaliable.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to District Hotel Washington? Share your experiences!