“A home from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International Guest House

International Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
International Guest House
1441 Kennedy St NW, Washington DC, DC 20011-6824 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #23 of 50 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The price is what catches the eye (it's great value), then perhaps the location (it's a bit out of the way) - but investigate further and you'll find one of the most interesting and unusual accommodation options in DC.

The IGH is run by Mennonites, a Christian group who advocate simple living and nonviolence. Though I share these convictions, I was a bit nervous about staying there as I'm not religious. I shouldn't have worried - my wife and I couldn't have hoped for a more welcoming place to stay on our honeymoon trip.

The place is scrupulously clean, the rooms are comfortable and (importantly in DC) air-conditioned, but it was the host couple and the volunteer staff who really made the visit an absolute joy. Everyone was so friendly and pleasant, and this mood seemed to pass on to the other guests, all of whom were fascinating people in their own right. Chats over breakfast and in the evening became highlights of our trip to Washington.

Let's be clear - if you want all-night partying or sybaritic luxury (nothing wrong with either, of course), this isn't the place for you. But if inexpensive, comfortable, wholesome-warm-welcoming tickles your fancy, this is a great option. Certainly I'd take this over a faceless Holiday Inn-clone stop every day of the week.

Oh, and I could start talking about the breakfast muffins and the home-baked cookies at evening tea - but I'll let you discover those yourself!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here last year and it was awesome. This year there were different hosts and a different vibe. It was not as clean as last year. The floors were very creaky and the beds had something to protect the mattress and it seemed to make a crunching noise every time you turned over. Last year our beds were made each day and you got a fresh towel. This year we got a different towel but our beds were not made.

The tea time and breakfast were still great. It was a wonderful time to chat with the other guests. The have added fresh fruit and peanut butter to breakfast which is wonderful to have an option other than bread, muffins and cereal.

The hosts are very knowledgeable and can help you get anywhere you need to go in DC. Overall our stay was fine, but we probably would not stay there again if we were in DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Tunis, Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised that the International Guest House, not only is very modest in price but has wonderful staff, attentive, they made great muffins for breakfast, very helpful and friendly and most of all --they cleaned the toilets and bathrooms so well--that I think they are the cleanest place in WDC!! Although the rooms are shared (but you can have it to yourself in case there are not enough guests) --there is ample space to sleep and place to put your luggages. The atmosphere--is home away from home, comfortable living area, and nice location very close to bus stop and the park. Green tall trees in the neighbourhood and quiet at night. Hitch though-must return before 11 am :)

Room Tip: second floor :)
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at the International Guest house during my visit to Washington DC, this is a bed and breakfast located in a safe neighborhood, just 20 minutes away from the White House, transportation is easy, and the hosts are very polite. Rooms are very clean, the price is cheap, just 40 dollars per night, taking into account that hotels in Washington are very expensive. The breaksfast and the tea at night are enough and delicious. I strongly recommend the IGH , if I have to go to DC again I`ll stay there for sure!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in June, and it was like a 'home away from home'. The staff are all volunteers, and couldn't have been more helpful or generous with their time.

The rooms are basic but very comfortable, it's likely you'll have to share with a couple of other guest. The shared men's bathroom has just been refurbished to a very high standard.

Breakfast is a fantastic spread, which includes home-made muffins or biscuits. If you have to leave before 8am they'll put out a 'early' breakfast for you. In the evening you're invited to join for tea and cookies at 9pm, which is a really wonderful way of meeting fellow guests.

The Guest House is about 30 minutes north of the city on the bus. The bus stop is no more than 2 minutes walk from the house, and I found that it was very easy to get around the city. The staff are also very happy to provide you with maps and timetables if you need them.

All this for just $40 per night. I would have paid $80 and still considered it a bargain!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

What a fantastic and unique DC stay one can enjoy here. The volunteer staff is tops. The rooms are clean, beds comfy, bathrooms clean and the cookies and tea time - wonderful!

Meet other guests at breakfast, in the social den or at tea time, and feel at home.

Stay for a night and you'll not want to leave. I did.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I'm so happy I found this place! The guest house is on a nice quiet street, in a decent part of town, and has excellent public transportation. For my $40 I got a comfortable room, breakfast, and cookies at tea time. If there are several guests, you may have to share a room (I stayed during a slow week and had a room to myself). The place is clean and homey, and the staff is fantastic. They go out of their way to help you figure how to get around the city, and offered lots of great tips about things to do. I have no complaints and will be staying here anytime I'm in DC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to International Guest House? Share your experiences!