“The Cleanest Bathrooms in WDC and Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of International Guest House

International Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
International Guest House
Save Saved
You added International Guest House to your Saves list
1441 Kennedy St NW, Washington DC, DC 20011-6824 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #13 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Tunis, Tunisia
“The Cleanest Bathrooms in WDC and Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised that the International Guest House, not only is very modest in price but has wonderful staff, attentive, they made great muffins for breakfast, very helpful and friendly and most of all --they cleaned the toilets and bathrooms so well--that I think they are the cleanest place in WDC!! Although the rooms are shared (but you can have it to yourself in case there are not enough guests) --there is ample space to sleep and place to put your luggages. The atmosphere--is home away from home, comfortable living area, and nice location very close to bus stop and the park. Green tall trees in the neighbourhood and quiet at night. Hitch though-must return before 11 am :)

Room Tip: second floor :)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at the International Guest house during my visit to Washington DC, this is a bed and breakfast located in a safe neighborhood, just 20 minutes away from the White House, transportation is easy, and the hosts are very polite. Rooms are very clean, the price is cheap, just 40 dollars per night, taking into account that hotels in Washington are very expensive. The breaksfast and the tea at night are enough and delicious. I strongly recommend the IGH , if I have to go to DC again I`ll stay there for sure!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in June, and it was like a 'home away from home'. The staff are all volunteers, and couldn't have been more helpful or generous with their time.

The rooms are basic but very comfortable, it's likely you'll have to share with a couple of other guest. The shared men's bathroom has just been refurbished to a very high standard.

Breakfast is a fantastic spread, which includes home-made muffins or biscuits. If you have to leave before 8am they'll put out a 'early' breakfast for you. In the evening you're invited to join for tea and cookies at 9pm, which is a really wonderful way of meeting fellow guests.

The Guest House is about 30 minutes north of the city on the bus. The bus stop is no more than 2 minutes walk from the house, and I found that it was very easy to get around the city. The staff are also very happy to provide you with maps and timetables if you need them.

All this for just $40 per night. I would have paid $80 and still considered it a bargain!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

What a fantastic and unique DC stay one can enjoy here. The volunteer staff is tops. The rooms are clean, beds comfy, bathrooms clean and the cookies and tea time - wonderful!

Meet other guests at breakfast, in the social den or at tea time, and feel at home.

Stay for a night and you'll not want to leave. I did.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I'm so happy I found this place! The guest house is on a nice quiet street, in a decent part of town, and has excellent public transportation. For my $40 I got a comfortable room, breakfast, and cookies at tea time. If there are several guests, you may have to share a room (I stayed during a slow week and had a room to myself). The place is clean and homey, and the staff is fantastic. They go out of their way to help you figure how to get around the city, and offered lots of great tips about things to do. I have no complaints and will be staying here anytime I'm in DC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I usually book through hotwire or priceline but decided to try something different since the prices were so high in DC. I wasn't sure about sharing bathrooms and did not know what to expect. We were greated by Sheryl who was so friendly and informative. She gave us a tour of the house and showed us our room.

Every evening there is tea and cookies at 9 p.m. This is a time for socializing with all the other guests. (cookies are very good) It was really fun to visit with everyone.

Our room was a basic but clean room with 3 twin beds and a desk. We used the free wi fi which worked great. The bathrooms were very clean and there was never anyone in the bathroom while I was in the shower.

There is a game room in the basement with a couch, chair, tv, ping pong table and a table w/ 4 chairs. There is also a fridge and microwave guests can use. My 11 yr old son really enjoyed playing ping pong w/ the other guests.

Every morning a bell is rung at 7:20 and 7:50 and then breakfast is served at 8 a.m. sharp. Breakfast is simple but good. You can have toast, cereal (wonderful homemade granola) or muffins or biscuits. There was a different muffin every day. We stayed 4 days and there was: banana nut, cranberry, apple raisin and bacon cheddar biscuits. My husband Loved the bacon cheddar biscuits.

Bill, Pat, Sheryl, Wayne and Dirk were wonderful hosts that made you feel right at home.
The Guest House was my son's favorite part of our trip to DC. My husband, son and I were all so please with our stay at the guest house that we would definitely stay again. If you factor in the parking, free wi fi, breakfast and the wonderful hospitality it is a great bargain.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed 2 nights for $45 per night. Outstanding value. This is a lovey, peaceful place run by members of the Meminite Church who volunteer to run the house. Do not let that put you off staying here as the only religious elements are bible quotes hanging on walls, an invitation to afternoon tea each day, and a brief prayer over the complementary morning breakfast. I went to the afternoon tea which was great because I got to know a little about the staff and other guests, and by the end of my brief stay we had exchanged email addresses. The only negatives are the location (it is about 40 minutes by bus from the Washington Mall) and the 11:00pm curfew (which is understandably needed to allow the staff and guests to get a good nights sleep)..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to International Guest House? Share your experiences!