“DAR Continental Congress” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #60 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Boise, Idaho
“DAR Continental Congress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed here in a wonderful room with my mom for Daughters of the American Revolution Continental Congress. The room was nice and comfortable. The beds were very nice to sleep on. The amenities were great.

Stayed July 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Turkish first
Gaithersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Strategically located downtown at the busy intersection of 14th and K Streets, the latter being home to countless lobbying firms (watch your wallet), the Hamilton Crowne Plaza is a sleek, and well manicured, business hotel long accustomed to accommodating the many visitors to the Capital – be they lobbyists or not. And speaking of lobbies, the one here is beautiful. Just look up as you enter (the front desk will be on the left). The K Restaurant, where you can avail yourself of the expensive breakfast buffet is off to the right. Once inside, there is a large outdoor terrace that overlooks Franklin Square and all of the local characters therein. If that buffet is a little beyond the budget, there is a Starbucks right off the lobby.

As for the rooms, mine was average in size and nicely maintained if not stylishly decked in gold pastel. Of course, the room amenities were plentiful: shampoo, sewing kits, mouthwash (if in town to crash a White House dinner), eye masks, coffee maker, hairdryer and a large umbrella in the closet.

Here’s some DC trivia: this hotel hosted one of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Inaugural Balls, an event that did NOT live in infamy.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
K-Vegas, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

First off, this was a leisure trip for ME, but it was a business trip for my husband. Our stay was paid for by a group that he is working for, so I can't be very hard on the hotel. That said, even if I had paid I don't know what I could complain about. The place was clean, it was newly renovated, the food was VERY good (both in restaurant and room service), and there is a Starbucks in the lobby. Recap... comfy bed, new view of Washington monument, centrally located and Starbucks. That's about all it takes to make me happy. If I were to improve this hotel I would do two things... 1. move it a few blocks over, closer to F Street. 2. greatly improve the English spoken by the hotel staff. I had a very hard time understanding everyone from bell staff to restaurant wait staff. Front desk employees were easily understood, but that was the extent. I am not a fan of boutique hotels. I like a noisy atmosphere and a lot going on. If you are traveling on business or need to relax, this is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

With limited exception, namely three young guys at the front desk, the staff of this hotel I found very unpolished, and worse, hostile, like they have an antagonism toward guests. Very unpleasant. From the woman at the front desk who got angry at me when I told her my room card was not working properly - like I was trying to make her life more difficult by trying to get into my room, to the man who seated me at breakfast, to my waiter at breakfast, to other staff who would almost barrel into me as they walked by. The first room my wife and I received was filled with noises from outside - several directions of heavy traffic - screeches, sirens, honking - as well as noises from inside - man speaking and coughing next door sounded surprisingly loud due to a connecting door in my room that was no longer in use. I live in Manhattan and I don't hear the level of noise at home I heard in this hotel. We were moved to another room on the side of the building which removed some traffic and to a room with no connecting door, but it was a headache, and the next day my room card didn't work, the hall smelled like a bathroom, and we still had to interact with the staff. Knowing what I know now, I would have spent an additional fifty dollars or so to stay at another hotel in proximity to the White House, probably Sofitel. I will never stay here again. As a side, I highly recommend visiting Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home; it was the most fun and fascinating part of our trip and is a quick 20 minutes south of DC.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I was there with my girlfriend. The staff is very polite and helpful. We took a King Size Deluxe Room, but actually it was smaller than we expected. The room and the bathroom was clean and nice. We took a Park-view room, unfortunately the window was small and not clean on the outter side and the view was wasted because this detail.
We didn't have breakfast or other meals because we prefered go outside but we appreciated the Starbucks just at the ground floor of the hotel.
Pros : Nice staff, Great location ! nice rooms though small, very beautiful lobby
Cons : Slow elevators, Small windows in the rooms, TV-set really outdated (not flat nor digital), Price can be very different according to the seasons (but we had it for around 100$/night). Internet connection is not free.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights over New Year's Eve and absolutely loved it! The location can't be beat and we walked to everything. The 'circulator' bus is terrific and runs right in front of the hotel and stops at all major points of interest. The subway is less than one full block away and a mere 15 minutes to/from National Airport.

There are a number of people manning the doors at all hours of the day and night. Most nights we didn't even get back to our hotel until 2:00 or so and always someone was there to greet us. We never once felt unsafe in this neighborhood, again, at all hours of the day or night. We didn't notice any unsavory people near, in nor around the hotel.

We checked-in and were upgraded to a King Suite so I'm not aware of how small the standard rooms are. However, the King Suite was beautiful but it too was on the smaller size. Everything about the hotel was 4 stars for sure. I would have given this hotel a solid 5, had the rooms been a bit larger.

We didn't order room service nor eat in the restaurant, however, we did enjoy happy-hour on New Year's Eve and the service, food and prices were exceptional

Manchester, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

My husband and I spent two nights in DC to see some sites and get away. We were incredibly impressed by John at the front desk, as well as staff at 14K restaurant, located inside the hotel. We were mistakenly assigned a room that had some issues. We definitely noticed the issues, however we never had a chance to mention them, since the front desk approached us first! :) WOW! I approached the front desk to confirm our check out time for the following day, when John mentioned the condition of the room, apologized that we were placed there and offered us an upgrade. We were upgraded to a lovely bedroom suite on the 14th floor. As frequent travelers, I don't recall ever receiving such thoughtful customer service from a hotel. We were so impressed. We also found the food, atmosphere and staff at the 14K restaurant to be very professional and friendly. Wonderful breakfast offerings and dinner was excellent!

Given the service we received here, we will most definitely stay here again in the future.

LOCATION- Fabulous. One block from McPherson Square Metro stop, walking distance to many federal monuments.

TRANSPORTATION- $9.00 cab ride from Union Station (Amtrak) 2 mi. away.

SERVICE- Excellent customer service.

ROOMS- As others mentioned, this is an older historical building and the regular rooms are on the small side, compared to most Crowne Plaza Hotels. Beds are still wonderfully comfortable and the suites are fabulous. We had a super view of the Washington Monument.

VALUE- Excellent value.