“Surprised!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #59 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
“Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2005

I usually stay at Sheraton and/or Westin properties while on business, but this was quite a value so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I was in town for a conference held at the Convention Center (a few blocks away). I walked each time and felt very comfortable doing so. Starbucks was two blocks away from the hotel and had reasonable hours for business people. The Metro station is a block away -- very convenient for getting around.

Doormen/bellmen were incredibly polite and helpful. Front desk associates were great. Concierge seemed clueless (repeatedly) but I didn't rely on him that much -- just ask the bellman!

Room was very clean, the bed comfortable (with lots pillows). Bathroom was terrific -- granite counters and newly styled everything. The room was smallish but I expected that, given the city. Room's overall comfort was great for a single traveler.

I didn't order from the hotel restaurant, but ate at some terrific restaurants that were only a short cab ride or Metro stop away. Jaleo (spanish tapas), Raku (asian tapas in DuPont Circle), and a nice spot in Chinatown. There is a Subway, Quiznos, and Dominos very close to the hotel, and a large CVS drug store is much better than the closet they call a gift shop at this hotel.

I loved my stay here and won't hesitate to use it for future DC trips, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Turkish first
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

My boyfriend and I decided to book a last minute trip on HotWire and take the short flight to D.C. for the New Year's weekend. We lucked out and got this hotel as an option. I did a little research, looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided that Crowne Plaza looked elegant, accessible, and centrally located. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was correct. The service was very good. Our non-smoking room smelled of smoke and we were immediately moved to the room next door after alerting the front desk. The rooms were nicely decorated and the bed is amazingly comfortable. The closets are a bit small, but were just fine for two. A great touch on New Year's Eve was complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries served in the lobby. I highly recommend the hotel if you are looking for a comfortably elegant hotel in downtown D.C.

• Stayed January 2005
Bucks County PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza on New Year's Eve. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. We arrived early around 11 AM and were able to check right in. I had a queen room with a view (I wouldn't call it a view since it is of a park full of homeless people) My parents had a king room. Everything people said about the beds are correct, they are definetly the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in a hotel. The location is great we walked everywhere we went. The white house is only 4 blocks away. The rooms are huge but I think they are a great size. All in all the trip went perfectly. Hope this helps. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2004

We spent one night at this hotel. We arrived a copule of hours prior to check in, and we were given a great room with a nice view. The room was so comfortable. After a long day of sightseeing, the bed was AMAZING!! It was by far one of the most comfortable hotel beds that I've had. The decor was nice and tasteful. After reading reviews about small rooms, I didn't know what to expect, but the room size was definitely comfortable. The great thing is that you are in short walking distance to the Metro (which I used to and from the airport). The White house is a 10 minute walk away and it is easy to walk to many other attractions. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2005
Champaign, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2004

I decided to fly out an meet my wife after she was in training for a week. Not having been to D.C. in some time, I relied on TripAdvisor and my own judgement and was glad I made the choice of the CP. The lobby was well appointed and the staff friendly. It has the style and character of a hotel its age and has been nicely restored. The king room that we had was very pleasant. While not "spacious" by modern standards, it was very comfortable for the two of us - and I am not a small man. We do not spend tremendous amounts of time in our room anyway, as we want to see the sights when we are visiting. The only real drawback was the constant chatter of police cars as capital caravans ran VIPs around town. If you want to be near the capital area, get used to it. It is omni-present.

The concierge was courteous and helpful, although not extremely inventive. She was able to help point us around to area eateries on a weekend. Not a simple task since the CP is in the financial district (which effectively closes down after dinner and on weekends). The hotel eatery was not four star but was very good nonetheless.

We had a very restful stay and enjoyed the experience. The Crowne Plaza was a great value and I would recommend it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2004

Very nice hotel in perfect location. My family (six of us) got 2 connecting rooms. It worked out PERFECT. People's negative reviews of this hotel that I read were pretty pathetic. However, YES the rooms are rather small and so is the bathroom--This was the only downfall.
The beds are very comfortable and everything in the rooms is very classy. The lobby is VERY impressive for a downtown DC hotel.

We had no problems whatsoever with the staff. They were all very helpful. One reviewer was mad because he asked the staff for an umbrella and they told him they sold them in the gift shop, which he thought was rude. Uhhh you want them to just pop a free umbrella out for you behind their desk?

ANYWAYS- the bar/restuarant is very nice but expensive. (My 16 oz beer was $4.50) I got a free valet parking deal with our reservation. They regularly charge $28 a night so you might want to look into finding one too.

We didnt have ANY problems with the noise whatsover. We were here over Thanksgiving so that could be one reason.

We DEFINATELY will stay here next time we come back to DC!

other things to note:
---only get about 17 channels including hbo
---wireless internet in every room but $10/day
---about 3 minute walk to subway
---about 7 minute walk to white house
---computer room in basement lobby
---renovating new fitness room which currently just has treadmill type equipment
---no pool or hot tub
---4 pillows per bed
---coffee pot with free coffee
---cd player/alarm
---thick curtains to let you sleep late

• Stayed November 2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2004

I got to the Hotel around 3:00 PM and was confused as to where the Valet parking was. It took a while for anyone to come over to help me. Then I tried to check in only to find out that my room wasn't ready yet. No big deal. The bar was open and I decided to help myself to a beer while they had someone clean my room.
When I finally got to my room I was pleasently surprised. The bed was nice and comfy, and the bathroom was nice. Other people are right about the bathroom being a little small, and there really isn't a lot of counter space at all, but I don't need a lot of counter space. The room is on the small side too, but I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time in the room.
Parking was $28.00 per day which was fine because I didn't really see any garages that had a better deal. Although the person that met me there parked on the street for the whole weekend for free.
The Hamilton was close to everything. I spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday walking. I could barely walk by the time I got home because my legs hurt so much!
Check your bill on the way out because I almost got charged for someone elses drinks at the bar. They had the wrong room number.
They will hold your bags and car up until 5 PM the day you check out for free.
There is almost no nightlife around the Hamilton. One of the bars I went into I was asked if the guy I was with was my pimp... We left. A couple blocks away from that there is a Comedy Club that I highly suggest.
I had a great time down in Washington and I am going back to see everything that I missed. I would stay at the Hamilton again.