“Good location, nice room but only after manager made things right” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #62 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Denville, New Jersey
“Good location, nice room but only after manager made things right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here for the night after reading reviews of the hotel. Booked through Priceline. Originally requested a pet friendly room which is only the third floor. Then after further reviews I read that lower level floors were noisy. So I left doggy home and called the week before to ask for a room on a higher floor away from elevator. They said they put the notes in the system.
Called a few days before to see if we could request a room with double beds instead of one and was told they were fully booked. Ok no problem.
Arrived in DC at noon. Tried to check in earlier. Couldn't. Ok no problem. Parked the car ($45) left our bags and went for lunch. Came back at 2:30, still no early check in. So we sat at bar and waited 5 minutes before someone walked behind bar. Then asked do you need help? Strange question to ask someone sitting at a bar overlooking a menu. Ok no problem. Went up to desk at 3pm sharp and was told room was still not ready. I said this is a problem. Aside from the fact that a couple walked in without a reservation ahead of me and were offered a room with two beds when I was told numerous times including at noon that they were fully booked. So I mentioned that and she suddenly was able to find a room, with a wait. I said forget, I need a room because we have reservations at the W (hard to get and not worth it see my review for them). She gave me a room. 3:15, she asks me to sign my receipt and circles the price, $135. I said what's that the parking charge? She said yea, no, I said perhaps its someone else's receipt and sure it enough it was. After all that was squared away and I complained (why did I pay $200 and this guy paid $135?) I get our keys, make it to elevator and notice its a third floor room, specifically what I asked a week prior to change. Head back to desk and she apologizes, offers me $100 back on my card for the troubles then gets us into another room on 8th floor. Finally 3:30 and were in elevator to room and i get money back towards the outrageous parking charge. (valet was a mile away according to my mileage, maybe that's why it's so pricey but garage around corner is half price, learned this afterwards)
Room was nice I must say. Beds were smaller but comfy. Decor was nice. View, eh nothing but we sacrificed it for a room on a higher floor. Kuerug coffee maker was nice but only if you pay $5 for water bottle to use it with or just use tap water I guess. Shower was nice and I can't say I heard any noise other than a couple trying to get into the wrong room at 6:30am.
So I go to check out and Mallory is there and says hi so sorry but since you booked through Priceline (she knew this when I checked In) we can't give you a refund. We can offer you parking and breakfast. I said I'd like to speak to your manager.
So over to Joseph I go. I know he is a good manager because always responds to his reviews here so I asked him to make it right. He said he'd try to see if Priceline would allow a refund and after a confirmation with Priceline, boom I get my refund.
So, with all that being said I can say this was a nice hotel, a nice location (walkable to many sites) good lounge, good bell service, and good manager. And I'll book directly with hotel next time since apparently I could have got the room for $70 cheaper that way!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear jkwasnick,

It was a pleasure meeting you this weekend, my apologies of course that it was due to having to correct something but I was pleased to be able to assist you. Rest assured that when you return, I will do my very best to ensure that you have nothing but a perfect stay.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Turkish first
Chesley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

this was done by bidding on priceline so cant comment on price

BUT why do better hotels have to nickel and dime by charging for internet in all the hotel

even the hays adams had free internet in the lobby

besides parking is at the hi end of 42 dollars

BUT other than the dog next door the room was great well maintained and nicely set up

staff are very attentive and helpful

great location for sightseeing

Room Tip: king with pullout couch was a free upgrade nice larger room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear drillerkc74,

You've asked and we've listened! Look for exciting changes coming very soon for The Hamilton Crowne Plaza in regards to guest internet access.

We hope that you'll be our guest again once your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

bwhorne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

DC is a must visit, and if you can schedule your stay when congress is on holiday you can save big. The Hamilton is a beautiful hotel, close to the subway and the Mall. We were there during some remodeling, but the noise never bothered us a bit. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and well looked after.

Fresh squeezed OJ at the attached restaurant went perfectly with a glorious breackfast buffett.
I usually steer clear of ALL buffetts, but this one was so nicely stocked with fresh produce you could tell it was top notch.

I only ranked rooms very good due to their smallish size and the fact that ours didn't come with a built in refrigerator. (the staff did bring up one very quickly BTW, so I'm not complaining)

What really made me rank this stay high was the price I paid (congress was off) for such luxurious accomodations staffed with such friendly and professional people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear bwhorne,

Well we must give kudos to our food and beverage team, you're the fifth straight reviewer to mention how great the food was!!!!

We are so happy that while we were freshening up our property we did not disturb you. And we are even happy to say that everyone of our 318 luxurious guests rooms now feature build in mini-fridges, Keurig coffee makers and security safes large enough hold several laptop computers.

We hope that you will return to experience the newly finished product.

Rancho Cucamonga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Easy access to metro station & just a few blocks away from White House. Front desk people very friendly and made you feel welcomed. Had room over looking the park. Room was warm and inviting, Beds and pillows comfortable, only issue we felt the room could have had better sound proofing from street noise. Excellent breakfast buffet and the staff there were excellent as well. There's a charge to use internet, however, there's a AT&T hot spot signal if you're a customer you can access at no cost which we did. Would stay again but would gladly give up the view of the park for a quieter room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear 1travelingDad,

"Warm and Inviting", we really like those words and greatly appreciate that description of our newly remodeled rooms. As you may have read in other responses, please look for exciting changes coming to our Wi-Fi policy very soon. We have listened and we understand what are guests needs and expectations are and now we plan on exceeding them.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to being at your service when you return to the East Coast.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just returned from Washington DC and a stay at the Hamilton CP. It was a great location for sightseeing. We were greeted warmly by the front desk. I had requested a higher room with a view, if possible. We had an awesome corner room (1034) overlooking franklin Park and 14th and K streets. The bed and pillows were comfy. The concierge made great recommendations for both hop on-hop off buses and a nighttime tour of monuments (picked us up at the hotel...yay!).

We were pooped after our night tour and had a late dinner in the restaurant. The ahi tuna appetizer, crab cake and shrimp bisque were amazing. All of it was wonderful. The waitstaff were very friendly and inviting. I highly reccommend enjoying a meal at the hotel. The breakfast buffet the next morning was also very good. Eggs/omlets cooked to order. Delicious fresh fruit and breads.

All in all, a great trip. I did give it 4 stars only because of the $12.95 charge to use internet in business center. This has not been my normal experience with Crown Plaza and a bit of a disappointment. Certainly nothing to do with the staff or hotel itself. I would suggest they rethink this fee.

Room Tip: Get a higher room to avoid some city street noise. Room with view is nice too. We loved 1034.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ohsusanna733,

We are quite delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. It appears that you enjoy seafood so we would highly recommend trying our Lobster and Fig Pizza on your next trip. It's fantastic!

And now onto that 5 Star that we sadly missed from you. Please look for some new and exciting things from The Hamilton Crowne Plaza in the coming months. As we are always listening to and greatly value the feedback we receive from our guests, we will be introducing a new wi-fi policy very soon that we are quite positive our guests will all enjoy.

We look forward to your return.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We frequently have breakfast at the Hamilton and enjoy it very much. They have excellent fruit (raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, etc. and other fresh fruits), oatmeal, omelets to order, etc. Best fruit in town. Excellent waiters as well. Haven't stayed at the hotel as we work in D.C. but have recommended it to clients and they said it was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Diane C,

Thank you so much for the review. We will be certain to share your review with our entire food and beverage team. It appears from your review that you experienced our Monday through Saturday Breakfast Buffet, I highly recommended stopping in on a Sunday morning for our fabulous Champagne Brunch from 7AM - 2PM. It features many of the same things as the buffet but also much more such as a carving station, peel and eat shrimp, a variety of salads and antipasti. And of course, bottomless mimosas!

You of course could make that Sunday Brunch part of our Bed and Breakfast package and have a wonderful "staycation" with us at the Hamilton.

We all look forward to being at your service in the very near future.

Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are smaller than average but very comfortable. Kurig coffee, reading lights on bed and fridge in room. Really homey. The staff is also very helpful and the banquet food for conference was delicious.

• Stayed March 2013
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Blondebass,

Thank you so much for your positive review. We hope that you were able to get away from your conference to enjoy our wonderful city. We all look forward to being at your service once you return.