“Location location location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #60 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Long Beach, California
“Location location location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I found this hotel on Priceline and booked it because it was the least expensive for the location.
I stayed here for one night during the inauguration and it was the best decision I made.
I flew into IAD because DCA was sold out and I thought it was going to be a pain to get into DC but it wasn't. The Hamilton. Is just one block away from metro station.
The hotel itself is in the perfect location for all the sight seeing there is to do in DC. It's a clean hotel and the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. Considering its location and the fact that I was in the 2nd floor it was quiet.
I had to pay for Internet, which was 12.95 a day.
One thing I didn't like we're the bath products or the fact that the shower drained really slowly. I do not like standing in my own filth while showering.
I would def stay here again if I was visiting DC again.

• Stayed January 2013
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Salywgn,

What a wonderful and exciting time you picked to be in DC. We are all quite pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us and that you found our location to be so convenient to everything while you were visiting.

Your concerns about the drainage of the shower drain will be passed on to our Engineering and Housekeeping teams and this will be used for a retraining to ensure that our team understands the importance of checking for and reporting issues such as this to ensure a perfect stay for all of our guests.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Turkish first
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm blown away by the customer service provided by the hotel staff. The location is perfect, but this hotel's strength is its people! The bar makes a great pomegranate martini, food is excellent, rooms are well kept. I will stay here again, and I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Olive_Vegas,

Well we could not have said it better ourselves, a hotel is only a great as it's staff is. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and we look forward to all be at your service once again in the future.

Mankato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I often travel to DC and this trip made enough of an impact to post. I normally stay at the Hamilton when I come to the area but with my most recent travels it ensured I will never stay anywhere else. The Director of Guest Services, Nicole was at the desk while I checked in and saw that I worked for a hospital network based in Minneapolis. She easily was able to speak of the work I do in the Minnesota area with great knowledge and actually thanked me for all of the research I do day in and day out, This research is the reason I travel to DC often. The simple act of thanking me was enough to make my day and make a difference in my travelling experience. Nicole never indicated she was the manager of the area but it was apparent in the overall presense she carried and how she interacted with staff whenever I walked through the lobby. I asked a team member who she was and they said happily "She is my new Manager" now not often do team members seem so happy like I experienced. Kudos to the new addition, clearly an impact has been made with the staff as well. Excellent location, excellent rooms, excellent staff, love the 14K restaurant as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nicole G, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Greetings Keith S. -

It was my pleasure to serve you and your family while you were in the DC area. When you were checking in with our Front Office Manager, I couldn't help but overhear where you travelled from and upon learning what brought you to the DC area was even more intriguing.

We look forward to your return in the future. Please greet your wife and daughter from the entire team as well. It was a pleasure to get to know you all.

Nicole
Director of Guest Services
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Although I have stayed at this property on several occasions through the years, this is my first review. This historic hotel is located at 14th & I, a short distance from many major attractions.
The nearest Metro stop - McPherson Square - is only a block away. My room was well-appointed and very clean. The staff is attentive and very friendly. Two different reception clerks actually greeted me by name as I departed for the day and upon my return over the course of my three day stay. The hotel offers its own little restaurant and bar called 14 Karat. There is also a Starbucks shop on the premises. Across the street is Washington's popular DC Coast restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear NewEnglandLover,

There is no higher compliment that we can receive than to be considered a home away from home. We all thank you and look forward to being at your service for a very long time to come.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

LOCATION
This hotel kind of ticks all the boxes. I was there on holidays for a couple of nights to see the sights of Washington DC on my way to Miami, but I would be very happy with this hotel if I had have been travelling for business also. Very easy walk to the Washington Monument, the White House and a longer more athletic walk to the Capital, but a great walk nonetheless. Lots of cabs and busses nearby. Not that many places to eat in the immediate vicinity but Dupont Circle is very near in a short taxi ride and has many many places!

SERVICE:
The service wasn't standout, but it was sufficient. The team could be a little friendlier and less 'operational and process driven'. But don't get me wrong, I didn't have a bad experience with them at all, this is just a small tip for the General Manager. I manage 11 hotels in Sydney and I understand that customer service is a very challenging area to ace.

ROOMS:
The rooms are small but very well appointed, stunning actually. The bathrooms are very clean and a comfortable size. It's a very standard good hotel with nothing out of the ordinary but nothing to fault.

RESTAURANT/ROOM SERVICE:
We got room service one night because we were lazy and watching a movie. It was fantastic, very good quality for room service! In Sydney room service is shocking, so I was very happy, and not too expensive either. I had a cocktail in the bar one night with my partner and it was good, not incredible thought. Also, the bar staff kept talking between themselves about their shifts and what days they had off etc.... I wanted to stay and have a few more drinks but the vibe wasn't right with the staff more concerned with each other than the customer, so we left and went to our room. We had breakfast the final morning and the buffet was fantastic, but a bit pricey.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to tourists and business travellers.

Room Tip: A lot of rooms face a brick wall, ask for one at the front if you need more of a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sydney_lodges,

We all thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed review and even more so as it comes from the eyes of another hospitality professional. We are quite happy that you enjoyed yourself so much while staying with us and we will definitely be using your review as a learning tool. We know that you can have the most beautiful hotel in the greatest location but you are nothing without excellent service.

We do hope that we will see you in the future as our guest again.

sydney australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in a park view room. It was a light and sunny room and very comfortable. Easy walking distance to many attractions and shopping area. I have noticed that other contributors have mentioned the homeless people in the park, but I did not feel nervous at all when walking through or past the park. Our group of six had dinner at the hotel restaurant twice and really enjoyed it. Make sure you try the chocolate tower - it is delicious!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear SydneyAnne27,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay. Our park view rooms, besides offering great views over Franklin Park to towards the National Mall, have great natural lighting filling the rooms. With all the restaurant choices in DC, we are very pleased to know that you decided to dine with us twice during your stay.

We hope that you'll be back to visit us again when you return to Washington DC.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed two nights here to witness the swearing in of the 113 Congress. I loved the french inspired lobby!

The rooms were very comfortable and had black out curtains, flat screen TV, great complimentary toiletries, and a small spa package (aroma therapy spray, lotions for achy feet, etc.), and a Keurig coffee maker. The room was well-lit so it was easy to do my make up in the room while my roommate used the shower.

There's also a Starbuck's in the hotel! Score! There's also a very cute and quaint bistro in the hotel, that seemed really busy when I came down for a drink with some friends. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to sample their food.

The only downsides were: no bathrobes in the room, it's was not walking distance to the Capitol, and they mischarged me for my room. Expect to pay about $11-12 for a ride to the Capitol from here. And although it was a bit of a hassle, the front desk fixed the error with my bill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MigratingBirdie,

What a great experience to witness the swearing in of the 113th Congress! We are very glad that you enjoyed our new line of in rooms amenities and that you found the room very comfortable. During your next stay, our executive level rooms do come with bathrobes and other amenities available as well.

Our apologies about the billing error but we are very happy that the front office team was able to get everything sorted out for you. We hope to see you again in the future.