“Great Location and Accommodations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #68 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
“Great Location and Accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for a short business trip and was really impressed with the service and amenities of this hotel. I stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms which was extremely comfortable (great bed) and unique among hotels catering to business travelers. The location is superb and the food in hotel restaurant is delicious. To top it off, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Person-from-Porlock,

We are all very pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms. We are quite thrilled to say that our renovation is not complete and we have 318 superbly appointed guest rooms now.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent trip and we look forward to serving you next time you return to our Nation's Capital.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room I stayed was completely renovated, modern, classy and very comfortable. The bed was so comfortable that I am now on the hunt for a very similar mattress for my home. The room is furnished with all the modern conveniences - and well designed. Very clean and all of the staff members were friendly and accommodating. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and an excellent restaurant that offers tapas that are reasonably priced and you get a lot for your money. I loved the fish tacos, so much so, I had them twice :-).

This is the 2nd business trip where I stayed at The Hamilton and I love this hotel and highly recommend it.

Special shout out to Ravi, the hotel manager, who arranged a special rate for me to extend my stay (paid for personally, not the company) and also personally walked me up to my room with my bags. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure that you are in a renovated room on a lower floor. The elevators were sometimes slow.
Dear Tracy D,

It truly places a smile on our faces to read such wonderful things about our staff, service and hotel. Thank you for taking the time to let us know that our team is doing such a wonderful job. You can be assured that your praises will be shared with our teams.

We hope that you'll remember all these wonderful experiences when planning your next trip to Washington DC.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Hamilton room extended a good corporate rate for my weekend stay.
Cleanliness - The room was clean when they came - nice decor.

Location - It was slightly inconvenient to most of the areas that I wanted to hang out in, about a 15 min ride to U Street/Georgetown areas. However, very convenient for downtown.

Service - The cleaning team didn't come back to clean one night after trying to clean when I was still in the room. They knocked aggressively to ensure that we checked out on time on Sunday, which was annoying. But the staff downstairs was fantastic - went the extra mile!

Food - I had a lovely afternoon sipping wine and snacking on the patio at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear kkf114,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. In regards to the location, it is very true that we are quite convenient to the downtown business districts, Smithsonian museums and all the monuments but a short ways away from Georgetown and the U-Street corridor but we are located on the corner of 14th and K where both DC Circulator bus routes pass. Both of those bus routes are only a $1 per person and run all day at about 15 minute intervals so perhaps for your next trip that might be an alternative option for you.

We also appreciate the feedback in regards to the housekeeping services and that will be passed on to the housekeeping management team so that they can address it with their team.

We hope on your next trip you’ll come back and be our guest again and we can show you that we are better than just good enough.

Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for business purposes, however had some time to enjoy the beauty of the city (now, my favorite from the US apart from whole Hawaii's ones).
This was because the staff really helped me out to plan what to see, where to buy, what to expect... And the food is really good, speciacially the morning's buffet plenty with great options. And a plus: right inside the building, am exclusive entry to a Starbucks ;)

The rooms are really comfy and modern but classy.

But the best part was the location, in the middle of the area where the White House, the Smithsonian museums and the Washington monument are.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Arelittle,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to DC. We are quite glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time visiting one of your new favorite cities and that our staff helped to achieve this for you.

We hope on your next trip you’ll come back and be our guest again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Hamilton is a grand hotel in a fantastic location just off K street in DC.

Staff were very friendly and professional.

My biggest issue was that the room was somewhat outdated and VERY noisy (despite asking for a quiet room). This made sleeping quite uncomfortable. Also, the sink was outside the bathroom and part of the room (i.e with the moquette, etc...). Quite odd.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Paradectral A,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the great location of our hotel and the friendliness of our staff. I am sorry for the room accommodations you received that fell below your expectations. I am also sorry for the experience you had with the noise. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Washington, DC.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have just returned from 4 fabulous nights. The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment which on day one caused us a small problem with a lack of hot water (a workman had burst a pipe I believe) After a couple of hours the water was back on and we were compensated with a bottle of sparkoing wine and chocolate coated strawberries which were very much appreciated. The hotel's location is perfect and I must compliment the hotel on the food - it was simply superb, we ate there every night. All of the staff we so friendly and helpful they really made our holiday, in particular Mario the restaurant manager went out of his way to chat to us, provide advice and ensure that all our needs were met ( they were, and more) I would unreservedly recommend this hotel, the quality of our room and bathroom were excellant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandusky, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

As will all of my reviews I like to start with the good aspects of a property and then provide the less than good portions of my review. Outside of being in the Caribbean, this property has the most friendly staff I have ever encountered in the U.S. Considering this is an East Coast property, that makes it ever more shocking. The workout room is really nice. Way above the usual Crown standards. They had 3 stepper/glide machines, 3 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, dumb bells that went up to 50's, and 2 separate machines for the legs. The 14K bar is really nice and they have amazing deals for their happy hour (5 - 7 pm EST). Jose is the main bartender during the week and he is soooo friendly. A really nice guy that can pour a good drink. I strongly recommend the fish taco happy hour meal. The breakfast buffet was very nice as well. I really appreciated the omelet to order. They also had french toast, pancakes, fresh bacon and sausage to select from. An overall good breakfast experience.
The other part of this property that was enjoyable is the White House and Department of Treasury buildings are easily walkable. There is also a METRO site within 2 blocks for the blue and orange lines. I found this to be especially helpful as the blue line is what runs out of Regan International airport.
The downside of this property is that it was under construction while I was there. Now none of the 'dust' bothered me and it appeared as if they were done with the heavy stuff and were working on more of the decoration stuff. The bummer for me was the concierge level was completed but not up and running. I wasn't able to have the full concierge experience. That being said, it looked very nice and when it is operable I assume it will be at the usual Crown standards for that level of room.
The only down side is this is the East Coast and their idea of a 'spacious' room is far different than the rest of the U.S. I was upgraded to the King suite level super-dee-duper room and it was nice sized but not overwhelming by any means. The TV was large and had a great picture. I could see the Washington Monument from my room, so that was cool.
The only real 'problem' I had with the room was the phone. It was horrible. I let the front office know about it but I guess there was no fix for it. I think once the renovations are complete there will be a nicer phone but as it is now the phone stinks. The phone in the complementary business room downstairs was horrible as well. If you need to make calls, plan on using a cell phone not the room phone or the business center's phone.
The one point I think this property should advertise a bit more is there is a $15 per day fee if you want to access the Wi-Fi. You either pay the $15 or pay per minute, but the per minute fee is so high you might as well pay the $15.
When my business travels will bring me back to WDC and I do plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Be a platinum rewards member.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!