“Still dealing with billing issues” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel

You added Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 14th St. NW, 14th and K Street, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #65 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Still dealing with billing issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Every member of the staff was excellent and the hotel is in a great location, that was the only positive from our experience. Our room was very dirty, called the front desk and someone was sent right up to clean it. She cleaned the bathroom and ran the vacuum, but I still found an earring on the floor after she left and there was dust all over the furniture which I did not initially notice when I called. We had a room with a view of the park, but with it was alot of noise from the street. That didn't bother me or my child, but it kept my husband awake. I have been double billed for this room and nobody seems to know why or is taking any action to fix it. I left a message for someone in accounting last week, no return call. I spoke to a woman on Friday who agreed that I was double billed and that she would look into it and call me right back, have yet to hear anything and still no refund to my credit card. The restaurant was great, a little pricey, but food and service was outstanding. This hotel has a lot of potential due to its location and excellent staff, but they need to make drastic changes before I would even consider returning.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not on the street if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Hamilton Crowne on a quick family trip to DC in August 2012. The room was excellent value as we were able to raher confortably fit our family of four into a room with double beds for our single-night stay. The hotel is classy and stylishly funished, although the bathroom was rather small and a bit dated. Aside from value, the biggest selling point for us was location, as the hotel is just one block from the McPherson Sq subway station and within easy walking distance from the White House. Staff was very friendly and breakfast more than adequate. We would defnitely use the hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend (08/04) and we had no clue what to expect. Being a Executive for a large hotel chain I know that everyone has a different idea of what service standards, cleanliness, and locations mean to them. We were visiting Washington, DC for the NO H8 Campaign photo shoot and we only needed accommodations for one night. I had went on Priceline.com to book the room and since I work in the hotel industry I knew to call direct to the hotel to confirm that Priceline booked the correct accommodations. SURPRISE they did not. I called and spoke to Daniel with in-house reservations at The Hamilton and he was so kind and courteous and corrected the situation immediately. Daniel has an outstanding grasp of customer service. (Thank You Daniel)
Once we arrived on property we were greeted by the valet staff which were so friendly and did not just welcome us to the hotel but also to our Nation's Capital. Nice touch! We proceeded inside to the lobby and it was as beautiful as the pictures. We were guided to the check-in desk and our room was not ready. However, being in the industry all the extra smiles and welcoming comments had me so distracted that I responded "no problem". The guest service agent Veronica R was so nice and upgraded us to a Jr. Suite; however, we stated we needed two beds so she put us in a newly renovated room. One word to describe it...WOW! The rooms was on the 11th floor and was so beautiful it was AMAZING! The General Manger should take a bow because I know the cost of capital improvements on a large hotel and all I can say is what a great job the GM is doing. The design is contemporary and comfortable with plenty of seating and the room layout is perfection. We did encounter some slight maintenance issues the A/C did not work when we got to the room they attempted to fix it, but later in the afternoon we had to call them back because A/C was not cooling the room. Maintenance on the second return to the room replaced the A/C and we were very pleased. I give maintenance an A+++ for their quick resolution to the issue. At one point during our stay my partner went to get ice and the ice machine on our floor was not in service but again the incredible staff there stepped it up again - the housekeeper on our floor volunteered to go and get ice for us from another floor. WOW I was taken back by their commitment to customer service! The Executive Housekeeper should be commended for Outstanding Training of the housekeeping staff.
The hotel has renovations going on in rooms and the lobby but they are so respectful of their guest that they work at night as to not take away from the beauty of this hotel. The location is to me the BEST IN Washington D.C. My experience this past weekend was one that is unmatched by any other hotel in Washington D.C. My partner and I will praise and recommend this location to everyone we know that is going to visit D.C.
My partner and I have decided that when we return to visit D.C. we will only book at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza.....they were flawless in executing their service standards, cleanliness, customer service and hospitality.

A++++++++++++ on everything you do and please continue to RAISE THE BAR in hospitality, because you definitely know what you are doing. We look forward to our visit in September and I can't hardly wait to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room,but don't be disappointed if you do not get it because the staff is so...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

a very conveniently located hotel - just a short walk from the metro station McPherson Sq. unfortunately for me, the hotel was under the construction/renovation so none of the usual amenities were available. I was informed that every day from 10 to 5 there will be roof workers that may appear in the windows - mine was there at 8am. There was no cold or hot water in the shower for a couple of hours in the morning.
My Platinum/ambassador profile explicitly states As far away as possible from the elevators and ice machines. I even notified the staff in advance that this will be my birthday stay. I got no upgrade, and a room next to the elevators. I had to ask for the breakfast coupon, my Internet could not be free. a special card that gives one a free appetizer (since there was no club room) had to be asked for again. Late check out turned out to be also a hassle.
the staff (with the exception of Vanessa, the HR lady) was preoccupied with something else, unattentive, dismissive and plainly withdrawn. the same should be said about the 14k staff - none of them looked happy to be employed by this place, they were visibly just plodding through.
the room decor is good, and the linen are very high quality, as are the towels. Bathrobe though should be replaced as it is too old and too worn out. The air-conditioning unit was quite loud, and the TV set was deliberately modified to disallow any external connections - so one could not connect iPad or iPods to it.
for shame, though - as the hotel has everything it needs structurally and technically. But the staff needs to be re-hired so that people who can show a much more needed motivation and interest in guests' well-being can bring the service at this hotel to a higher level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My only complaint about my entire experience was the cost of parking...but, I recognize that parking is at a premium in D.C. so I willingly paid it.

The staff was wonderful, efficient, and friendly. My room was awesome and it was supplied with everything I could possibly have needed. I love that it's a historic hotel...it had that old-fashioned charm that I adore.

The hotel is so well located! It's in the nicest part of D.C. and is so close to the Metro and several great restaurants and attractions.

I had a great stay and hope to return soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Vic Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I just stayed at the Hamilton in their refurbished rooms and they are fantastic. The bed was so comfortable and luxurious. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially when we needed assistance on recommendations for restaurants. The hotel is well located for the convention center, metro and all the sites of DC. I will definitely stay again. Thanks everyone.

Room Tip: By Sept the whole hotel will be refurbished so all rooms will be good. Higher floors are good.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

First off, the people at check in tried to charge us a higher rate than my confirmation stated. Fortunately, I had my printed confirmation. They were not friendly either. The room was dated, bathroom was too small, and the ac wasn't set right. I had to put the temperature way up so as not to freeze. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!