“Tabard Inn is one of a kind” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tabard Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Tabard Inn
You added Tabard Inn to your Saves list
1739 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #96 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Phoenix, Arizona
“Tabard Inn is one of a kind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

As other reviewers have said, the Tabard Inn is a quirky place--you either love it or hate it. I have enjoyed the restaurant over the years but this was my first time in the hotel rooms since I moved away from Washington.

Think of an older B&B (this is the oldest continuously operating hotel in DC) with smallish rooms/random decorating and you have the Tabard. No TV, public rooms are DARK although my hotel room was on a corner (#6) so quite bright.

The benefits: location location location, short walk to Dupont Circle metro, free continental breakfast (as well as full breakfast for an additional charge), free wifi, free access to the YMCA just a block away, very friendly and helpful staff, and one of DC's best restaurants downstairs. I didn't spend much time in my room so I had no problems with the size and decor.

I was in DC for a combination of business and pleasure so the Tabard worked out very well for me. I will probably stay there again next time I am in Washington.

• Liked — Location and restaurant
  • Disliked — You really can't sit and use the public spaces unless you want a drink with friends--too dark to read the newspaper
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

I was booked by someone else into the Tabard Inn for a meeting in DC (due to the inn's proximity to the meeting site). The inn is "quirky," to say the least. I love historic places, but this one needs work. My room (#43) was not particularly clean, the mattress on the bed was hard as a rock, the bathroom was inconvenient (no place to set things down), and the hot water came and went during showers. Noise from the patio, which is part of the restaurant, was a problem until 11 p.m.

With some sprucing up--and a thorough cleaning--the inn would be charming. Its location is great, and I loved both the bar and the restaurant, which are popular with local DC residents.

I will make a point of eating at the restaurant during future trips to DC but probably won't stay at the inn again--unless I know it has undergone some rehabilitation.

• Liked — Location + restaurant and bar
  • Disliked — Condition/cleanliness of room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

My 12-year old daughter and I stayed in room 37 in April with a shared bathroom. While the hotel has 'character' , I wasn't comfortable during the stay. The room was tiny - not helped by the extra furniture which made it look quaint but simply added clutter. As another guest said, the lights are very dim....far too dim....including in the bathroom. The curtain in our room was also broken, meaning there was very little natural light in the room. And the bed was more than firm - it was hard.

There's no lift or elevator...bit of a pain with luggage, but nothing major. Staff were generally nice, apart from one guy who was nothing short of rude early in the morning when we left. There's free internet access. The location is pretty close to the metro. It could have been a lot worse, but after having visted 5 cities in five weeks, it was the accommodation we enjoyed the least.

• Liked — Bar, restuarant
  • Disliked — Tiny room, dim lighting
  • Stayed April 2008
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

I spent one night at the Tabard Inn in early April on a business trip, and felt dissatisfied with the room for the price ($188 for Room 58, with private bath).
I've been familiar with the Inn since 1982 when I visited a friend who lived there for a month during a college internship in Washington. Since then I've stayed in the hotel several times on business trips and had a memorable New Year's Eve dinner and party in the late 1980s. I've also spent way too much money at the restaurant, which I think is perhaps the most romantic and coziest in all of Washington. On this multi-day trip to Washington I spent one day at a friend's house, one day at the Tabard Inn, and one day at the Henley Park Hotel (see my separate review on that). (The Tabard was booked for the third night of my unexpectedly longer stay in Washington.)
With that by way of background, I was disappointed in the room. I could easily hear conversation from the room next door to me, and I heard one of its guests snoring at night. The lamps were dim CFL bulbs, which while environmentally correct didn't give much light (and brighter bulbs are available!). Two of the three pump dispensers (soap and shampoo) in the shower were broken. And the overall condition of the furniture tended toward the shabby chic. The three-panel screen that hid the door between my room and the next room had a couple of holes in its paper covering. And the bed, while OK, was on the hard side.
On the plus side, I loved the "rain" shower head and the curtainless shower. And there was no TV in the room (which for me is fine -- especially given the thin walls I wouldn't want to hear my neighbor's!)
(The next night I returned just to eat dinner at the restaurant, which I highly recommend. As I was alone that night, I ate at the bar, and enjoyed a wonderful meal.)
To sum up, I don't plan on staying at the Tabard Inn again for business, although I might return for a pleasure trip.

• Liked — It's a unique property with lots of history
  • Disliked — Overall room condition.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

This hotel is wonderful. We were in DC for four nights and loved it! It has sort of a ghostly feel to it, and the rooms are great. The restauraunt is nice, we loved the complimentory breakfast. Our room was a nice homey room, we love that each room is different. I can't come up with many negotives, but one is that the floor of the rooms sqeak when you walk. We had a great stay though!!

Stayed March 2008
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Tabard for our anniversary. We got a room on the 3rd floor in the front. We shared a bathroom. There was no problem with that, there was never anyone in there when we needed it. The bathroom was actually the best part, the water pressure was incredible!
The hotel has a lot of personality. Obviously older but seemed very clean. Our room was very cute but the bed was uncomfortable. It was a double, not a queen and very hard. The walls were very thin and we could here everything our neighbors were saying. There is currently construction going on down the street so you might want to avoid a front room.
The breakfast in the morning was good but the staff was horrible.
We will probably stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed November 2007
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

I chose to stay here as a result of many good reviews on tripadvisor, and am glad I did. The hotel has a ton of character, and is certainly not overpriced for it's location and quality.

My wife and I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms with it's own bathroom. The bedroom looked very nice except for just one or two decorative things that seemed out of place. VERY firm matress - but I loved it. Bathroom was nice - although shower was fairly weak but not a big issue.

The housekeeping was great as well as the restuarant staff. We came down for breakfast each morning at 8:00 AM (breakfast is included when you stay there), and it was very very nice.

The only issue I think was that there was no Television - which isn't really an issue at all, but after having been walking all day long and being exhausted, both my wife and I felt like we just wanted a brain dump basically. We just read books they have in the room instead.

I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — No television
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tabard Inn? Share your experiences!