Scenesetter: on our US trip we looked for unusual accommodation with a bit of character.
The Tabard Inn fitted these requirements exactly.
When we booked, the room size we wanted wasn’t available for all four nights, so we agreed to take the more expensive ‘penthouse’ room for two nights, and hope for a cancellation. Turns out there wasn’t a cancellation, so the hotel staff put us in the penthouse for all four nights but without charging us extra – great service.
The good stuff about the penthouse and the Tabard Inn more generally:
• excellent staff & service
• the penthouse is utterly enormous; fittings were an eclectic, delightful mix of vintage and modern furniture, wall art, ornaments, and plenty of lamps for indirect lighting
• two queen-sized beds with fabulously comfortable memory foam mattresses
• bathroom has a free-standing clawfoot bath with a shower fitting in it
• fast, free wifi
• powerful airconditioning
• really good restaurant for dinner
• really good bar; free live music on some nights
• comfortable lounge areas for patrons
• breakfast included – plain but good, additional menu items can be purchased
• short walk to downtown, hire bike stations, a rail/bus stop
To be aware of:
• there’s no elevator, and the stairs are steep and narrow. So if you have mobility issues, make sure you book a ground floor room and ask ahead for assistance with your luggage
• there was a kitchenette, but everything was locked up – clearly you weren’t encouraged to use it.
• the shower setup could be improved – the curtain was ill-fitting, leaking water all over the bathroom
The hotel is clearly a local hotspot not only for accommodation but also entertainment; the restaurant/bar/lounge was full of locals on dates or meeting friends. If you’re travelling alone, it’s very convivial.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on quiet side street only five blocks from the White House and steps away from Dupont Circle, Tabard Inn is an old and charming hotel for anyone seeking a European-style oasis on American soil. Our eclectic yet refined atmosphere is the perfect compliment to our award-winning restaurant and bar, weekend jazz sessions, and beautiful, intimate special events. ... more less