“Quaint, eclectic Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tabard Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Tabard Inn
You added Tabard Inn to your Saves list
1739 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #97 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Hong Kong, China
“Quaint, eclectic Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great old-fashioned Inn at Dupont Circle, Washington, DC. Modest rooms decorated eclectically with antiques and curious paraphernalia. Amazing lounge and great restaurant. Don't expect a TV, it doesn't fit in the ambiance. Be prepared instead to relax beside the fireplace and read. My only negative comment is the lighting. The lighting could be improved in many areas of the inn, especially in the bathroom. But that must be part of the ambiance and mood of this unique place.

Room Tip: Well I don't know as I've only seen one. I believe that there are about 60.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My college roommates and I enjoyed a reunion here, a great setting in a suite of adjoining rooms on the third floor. The inn has charm and character, very convenient to Dupont Circle metro and restaurants. Two of our three rooms were quite spacious, one very small. One must adjust, however, to the dim reading light and shower curtain that must be positioned just so around the tub. The continental breakfast was more than adequate with several choices prepared to order. I would love to have had Sunday brunch at the inn as it appears to have an excellent reputation and draws quite a crowd. A television will be placed in your room (no cable stations) if you request it with your reservation. While I was initially directed by staff to a parking lot that was closed on the week-ends and a neighboring hotel that was not accommodating Tabard Inn guests, another staff member later resolved my parking issue. All in all, a memorable stay at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were staying next door to the Tabard and decided to check them out for breakfast. I will say right now that I'm a sucker for any establishment that smokes their own salmon! I had porridge, a homemade bagel with smoked salmon and it was fantastic! My wife had a delicious mushroom omelete, homefries and homemade bread (toast) and that was also delicous. We enjoyed our meal so much that the very same evening we had a friend meet us at our hotel and went back to the Tabard for dinner. I will have to admit that the patio service we had while waiting for our table was horrible. She forgot us and I had to chase her down. We waited over an hour for our appetizers to show up, which they never did, then they tried to bring them to our dinner table (I quickly nixed that). BUT...dinner was one of the best I've had and it (almost) made up for the annoying pre-dinner experience. Our waitress was so very sweet who wonderfully guided us through the menu. I had spied the duck listed and with her encouragement ordered it. It was one of the best duck dishes I've ever had! My friend went for the goat ragu and house-made turnip green pappardelle. I never would I have imagine that goat would have such an amazing flavor and the house-made pasta was absolutely fantastic. I recommend this place for anyone staying in DC as it is no more than a few subway stops away and easily walkable from the Dupont Circle or Farragut North red line stops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

No one could accuse the Tabard Inn of being a monolithic chain hotel. Instead it is a collection of quirky rooms, narrow staircases up and down, and a lovely restaurant. Not a bad place to stay at all - and very reasonable rates for D.C.

I paid USD210 per night in a room with a private bathroom (they also offer cheaper deals with shared facilities). The room itself was huge with lots of antique-looking and rather lovely furniture. The free wifi and breakfast were nice touches - the noise from the bar one floor below and the lack of good lighting and a shower screen less so.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Definitely charming, the old inn is loaded with atmosphere. But the room lights are very dim, rooms lack television and hair dryers, and there are no elevators. There is a beautiful lounge and restaurant on the first floor. Just be prepared for the quirky combination of antique and wifi. I am not sure I would have chosen it myself, but I was part of a group of 8, and someone else was in charge of accommodations. We were here 5 nights, and this seems like a two -night stay, in my opinion. Convenient to many sights and to Metro.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My first choice in DC. Charming, quaint, friendly and a reasonable price. Not your standard international business or family hotel. A little funky, but cool. And I used to live in DC, so I know about bassist Victor Dvoskin's very cool Sunday night jazz duos in the lounge. #1!

• Stayed October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

There really is no better spot in any city for comfort, service, location, charm and exceptional food! I love the old world ambience and the eclectic mix of art and vintage furniture....with a sense of humor! The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating....when two in our lunch party got caught in traffic and were nearly an hour late, they were gracious and patient.

The warmth in the lounge for late afternoon tea or a drink was cozy and inviting. This is an excellent value and breakfast is included.

Room Tip: We liked the quiet of a back room( #4)....cozy, quiet and good for sleeping. Great shower!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tabard Inn? Share your experiences!