“It was pretty good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tabard Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Tabard Inn
You added Tabard Inn to your Saves list
1739 N St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #98 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Salisbury, Maryland
“It was pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Tabard for our anniversary. We got a room on the 3rd floor in the front. We shared a bathroom. There was no problem with that, there was never anyone in there when we needed it. The bathroom was actually the best part, the water pressure was incredible!
The hotel has a lot of personality. Obviously older but seemed very clean. Our room was very cute but the bed was uncomfortable. It was a double, not a queen and very hard. The walls were very thin and we could here everything our neighbors were saying. There is currently construction going on down the street so you might want to avoid a front room.
The breakfast in the morning was good but the staff was horrible.
We will probably stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

I chose to stay here as a result of many good reviews on tripadvisor, and am glad I did. The hotel has a ton of character, and is certainly not overpriced for it's location and quality.

My wife and I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms with it's own bathroom. The bedroom looked very nice except for just one or two decorative things that seemed out of place. VERY firm matress - but I loved it. Bathroom was nice - although shower was fairly weak but not a big issue.

The housekeeping was great as well as the restuarant staff. We came down for breakfast each morning at 8:00 AM (breakfast is included when you stay there), and it was very very nice.

The only issue I think was that there was no Television - which isn't really an issue at all, but after having been walking all day long and being exhausted, both my wife and I felt like we just wanted a brain dump basically. We just read books they have in the room instead.

I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Nice room
  • Disliked — No television
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

I vacationed with 4 of my girlfriends to D.C. and we prefer quaint bed-and-breakfast type places. Not quite a B&B, but a very nice boutique hotel! It had an old, nostalgic feel to it, and every room was decorated differently.

When we arrived, we were shuffled around quite a bit to find a room that would comfortable house 5 women. It seems that they thought it was 2 adults and 3 children (which I have no idea where they got that idea!), so our room was WAY too small. It was beautiful and had a lot of character, but lacked a bathroom door. (Yikes!) We had to stay there one night, but they moved us to another, MUCH larger room the next morning while we were sight-seeing. Our next room wasn't as decorative, but much more comfortable. They even gave us an adjoining room at no extra cost!

The lounge was very unique ... With a 19th century feel to it. We were given a complimentary glass of wine for our troubles when we arrived. Service could have been MUCH better in the lounge, as I had to get my own drink from the bar in the next room a couple of times.

We had a wonderful free continental breakfast each morning. We had got to choose one of each: coffee/tea, fruit/yogurt, scones/homemade oatmeal (with brown sugar and cream)/toasted bagel/ or a muffin. It was restaraunt-quality food an we were very please with the dining room staff. We bougt breakfast our last morning there and it was also delicious!

The location was fair. We walked everywhere, so it seemed very far on some days! I would definitely recommend taking a cab or finding out and planning the bus/subway routes.

Overall, I recommend this boutique hotel. No elevators, though, so that may limit some people with special needs. If you are looking for a 5-star flashy hotel, don't stay here. This is for those who prefer quaint, old, nostalgic, and a bit haunting!

• Liked — The quaint decor.
  • Disliked — The debacled check-in process.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

Amazing hotel, so much history and just wow. We shared a bathroom, but as it was a one night stay and we only used the toilet we did not find this to be a problem. It was well worth the money (you can have private bathroom).

Location was excellent, short walk to the white house.

The restaurant food was top notch.

And the room, it was gorgeous, old, classy, very pleased.

Thanks Tabard Inn.

• Liked — The "old" feel
  • Disliked — Many stairs to climb, narrow and steep
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

The Tabard Inn has friendly staff, a good location, wireless internet throughout the hotel (our room was on the first floor) and a relationship with the YMCA around the corner with nice work out facilities.

The matresses leave a little to be desired and the price tag is a bit high for the 'ambience' of the hotel.

If you want to be in this area and the hotels are running high in price this might be a good option, but it is nothing exceptional.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
niftyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

Great music scene in the living room area. I saw a senator. Delicious
restaruant. Good breakfast included. Interesting decorations. Knowledgeable, friendly staff members.

I have stayed here several times in rooms of all prices. The smallest
rooms are quite small but they are also reasonably priced. I did not mind sharing a bathroom. The largest rooms are absolutely spellbinding. Large, with inspired decorating and interesting personal touches.

I always stay here in Washington DC but rooms here are often hard to come by. Book well in advance.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olema
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

A friend told me about the Tabard and when I travel to DC (which I do about twice per year) it is one of the highlights of the trip. Great location, good prices, breakfast included and the option of dining on site in one of the best restaurants around. The place draws a great crowd and I have spent many an evening in the lounge sipping wine and pretending to read while listening to the great conversations around me. The place has wireless internet to boot! The staff is low key and friendly. The rooms are clean and pleasant with great accents and wonderful colors. I have recommended this place to many people. In fact several folks who were in DC for the same event stayed here and it was fun to all hang out. I'll be back and I'll stay here again. I don't mind climbing the stairs to a comfy room. A great hotel with the feeling of a B&B.

• Liked — Great old building with lots of character.
  • Disliked — That I could not stay longer!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tabard Inn? Share your experiences!