“Sufficient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

You added The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center to your Saves list
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 M St. NW, between 15th Street NW & Thompson Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Formerly Wyndham Washington) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #97 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Birmingham, Alabama
“Sufficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Great location with quick access to DCA airport and all the DC sites. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but were definitely very worn. There is a restaurant/bar with pretty good service. Overall, with all of the other options in the area, I might consider shopping around for a different hotel for my next trip - though I might consider this property again for a short stay/quick trip.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This Westin has a modern, high ceiling lobby. The rooms are fairly standard, nothing too modern in the furniture, though. The bedding, mattress, and pillows are very comfortable per standard Westin hotels. The room was very quiet for the area. The concierge/check-in staff and valet were friendly and helpful. Parking is valet or garage (though I could not figure out how to find the garage). The hotel is located in a busy area with several restaurants around and landmarks within walking distance.

I would return to this Westin when in D.C.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Sean H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Emily W,

Thank you for recognizing the recent renovation of the hotel and the efforts of our staff to help you enjoy your experience. To avoid any confusion we only have valet parking on property (cost of $55.46 total per night) although there are a few garages in the area as well as very limited parking on the street.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I'll start off by saying our actual stay was good. Decent hotel, friendly staff, good location. That said, we'll never stay there again because of a sneaky charge that appeared on our credit card statement after our stay. We're Canadian, and went out of our way to settle our incidentals in cash to avoid the very unfavourable exchange rate. All of the charges on our bill were fine, we settled in cash and checked out smoothly. Then, several days later, I noticed a mysterious charge for US$142.85 on my Visa bill from the Westin. That translated into more than $180 Canadian. So far, my calls and my email to Accounting and the Front Desk Manager have gone unanswered. This is extremely frustrating. Even if they reverse the charge, I'll still lose money for this sneaky charge because of the exchange rate (not to mention long distance charges - I've been placed on hold and bounced around and finally just redirected to voicemails). I recommend staying away from this hotel so you can avoid similar sneaky charges. After reading other reviews here, it looks like I'm not alone in experiencing this. I'm very disappointed in the mistake, and even more disappointed in how it's being handled. (Or, more accurately, NOT handled.) I wanted to give them a few days to respond before posting a negative review to be fair, but I'm quite upset that several business days have gone by without my voicemails or emails being returned. I am eagerly awaiting an explanation - and a reversal of the charge!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Travel_Tips_AB

Very sorry to hear that your calls to have your situation resolved have gone unanswered. I can assure you that we have no desire to charge anyone inaccurately and we take our billing accuracy very seriously as we understand how vitally important all of our personal finances are to all of us.
Please take the time to e-mail directly the details of your stay and any invoice you have received so we can work to correct it promptly: Sean.Holcombe@WestinDCCityCenter.com

Live Well,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed at the westin with a couple of buddies and this place was very sneaking. They charged me $80 for a bathrobe without even saying it was gonna cost me money they just sat it out and said free to take. They also had an awful breakfast bar with cold food and never refilled they're drink containers. Not a good place to stay.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Jinnm,

Very sorry to hear of your experience here at the Westin. There must have been a miscommunication regarding the charge of the bathrobe so please reach out to me directly at your earliest convenience so we can resolve this for you.

Live Well,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This gracious hotel is befitting of the SPG brand. Great heavenly beds and bedding, nice coffee/tea station, bathroom amenities, and good service. Attractive lobby, bar, and restaurant on the entrance floor. I especially appreciated the kind and personal assistance I received from Nazee on reception. Concierge Mesfin was also very good to deal with. I was given an upgraded room on the top floor, Rm 1123, for 2 nights, Apr 8 & 9.

Rooms are equipped with fridges, a welcome feature that avoids having to ask for one and (in some hotels) being told they've run out or you have to pay for it - or both. It also has dressing gowns, spacious bathrooms and a built in USB ports for charging your devices. But room was oddly-shaped. It had no bathtub, and no view - this one, like many, had a small window facing into the interior of the hotel. This made for a quiet night. Some of these interior rooms have actual balconies facing in. Others, like mine, had a window that did not open.

Very nice hotel, but I prefer the location of the Marriott.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Sean H, Front Office Manager at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Ingle,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor with fellow travelers. As a Westin hotel we take pride in the features our rooms have to offer; the famous Westin Heavenly Bed, Heavenly Shower (includes a very popular shower wand) to name a few, but is our staff including Nazee and Mesfin that you so graciously mentioned, that brings everything together. Thank you for coming and we hope too see you again soon!

Portola Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel was very well located, there was a CVS close by, a couple of Starbucks, a Peet's and several restaurants very close by. The front desk also had an assortment of Delivery menus which came in very handy. I was traveling with an 11 and a 12 years old so two nights after hours of walking and visiting sites we ended up ordering pizza and Chinese, they were both ok. There is construction across the street, but we had a room facing the interior of the hotel and we never heard any noise. The room was nice and clean, but a little small for one adult and two boys. They only had a king size bed so we requested a roll away bed, which made it tight to walk around the room. The jewell of the hotel are the concierges, Tiffany and Mesfin. They were very very helpful, patient and very knowledgeable. We were able to visit most of the sites we wanted to see, thanks to them. I did not plan the trip with a lot of time so I did not get tickets ahead for the Bureau of Printing and Engraving and the Washington Monument. Tiffany was able to find us tickets for both sites. Mesfin gave us great recommendations to when to visit each site, including the Crime and Punishment Museum and the Spy Museum. Once we had visit most of the sites, I asked them for more recommendations and they were very happy to make some great ones. While we were in DC, we visited: the Bureau of Printing and Engraving and the Washington Monument, the Crime and Punishment Museum, the Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, the Memorials, I especially recommend the MLK Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, the White House, and some more. The hotel was also close to the Metro,which is very convenient to most places you might want to visit. Finally, one day we took the Hop On Hop Off, Big Bus, and they picked us up right at the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room to avoid street noise and construction on M street.
Green Features: All the personnel was very helpful and friendly. A line did form at the check in desk, they seemed to be a little under staffed at times.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Delmar,

Thank you very much for going out of your way to share your positive experience with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. Our staff is well aware how much effort is needed to accommodate the aspirations of 2 young kids so we do our best to ensure all of our guests have an experience as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. Very glad to hear that you were able to see many of the great sites here in DC and we hope that you will come back again soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent hotel, great customer service, convenient location right on the city center, comfortable bed... what more can you ask. This hotel is within walking distance to major attractions and lots of restaurants near by. The hotel staff are very accommodating, helpful, welcoming and willing to guide with whatever activities you have in mind.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Durango,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to the Nation's Capital. Thank your for recognizing the efforts of our great staff who really do everything they can to make sure you are able to take advantage of everything our great city has to offer. Thanks again for coming and we hope to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Been to The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center? Share your experiences!