“Top tier hotel with no full service restaurant and limited bar/kitchen hours!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

Save Saved
You added The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center to your Saves list
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 M St. NW, between 15th Street NW & Thompson Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Formerly Wyndham Washington) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #102 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Arizona
“Top tier hotel with no full service restaurant and limited bar/kitchen hours!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my 2nd stay at this Westin. The staff was excellent staff, the location was great but as a business traveler, completely unacceptable that this top tier hotel does not have a full service restaurant and limited bar(kitchen) hours. There was a full service restaurant when I stayed here last year but none this year. The only location in the hotel where you can have a meal (other than in your room) is in the bar area which is very, very small. There was a breakfast "buffet" but I use that term loosely. It was located in an area that was void of any ambiance and you might as well have been in an abandoned conference room if it were not located right above the lobby area. There were no hot entrees available (e.g. waffles, omelets, etc), only turkey sausage, bacon, cereal, fruit, bagels, oatmeal, and scrambled powdered eggs - that is a Continental breakfast - not a buffet. I've had better breakfast buffets at Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn and Best Western. And to add insult to injury, it cost $22.00!! I expect much, much more from the Westin brand and especially at that price. Also, the bar/kitchen close at 11pm...even on the weekends. There was a group of us staying at this Westin and on Saturday night we wanted to talk, have some appetizers and drinks after an event and how surprised were we that the kitchen closed at 10:30pm and the bar at 11:00pm. Really....on a weekend? So overall, great location, excellent staff but the lack of a full service restaurant means I will not stay at this Westin again and neither will the others in our group of 20. If it is not a big deal to stay at a Westin that does not have a restaurant, then I highly recommended this hotel as everything else about this Westin is wonderful. However, if you expect that a full service hotel has a full service restaurant/bar/kitchen, then this is not the hotel for you. Each of us in my group commented on how we would not recommend this Westin in the future.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I can bike around easily. The bed and pillow are comfortable. I got a room with street view. It was very nice. The TV size is bigger than most other hotels I've stayed in. It is 60 inch I guess. So it was very nice to watch the HDTV. The in-room refrigerator is convenient. And I like the starbucks brewed coffee provided in the room. It tastes even better than some from coffee shops. I also like the almond croissant from the starbucks in the lobby.

The location is great. There is a CVS next block. It is walking distance to the White House. Finding cab is easy, or if biking is your thing. There is a bike rental station right by the hotel.

However, the room was not very cleaned very well. I found a paper cup and a lollipop stick left by previous guest(s).

toledo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am going to start with the positive... the redecorating looks great. In a previous review I mentioned how tired this place was looking, and it was. However, I really like the new decor. Comfortable, clean and sparkly. The lobby looked great, the room design was fresh. The NEGATIVE... this is never okay. Some one stole from my room. Even after i had requested not to have room service, someone came into my room and took stupid stuff--my eye drops, my allergy pills and a chapstick. Right off the bedside table.. really, that's what gets stolen? ridiculous! I'm glad it wasn't money or electronics (although I never leave that in the room), but I really need allergy meds this time of year. I couldn't sleep and my eyes were really uncomfortable, but more that that, I just felt awful. I couldn't believe that someone took belongings right out of my room. I used to stay here a lot, but now I can't imagine ever being comfortable there again.

Room Tip: ask to not have a lobby view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Good afternoon,
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us frequently. Please know that the welfare and security of our guests is our number one priority and I would like to speak with you to ensure you received appropriate follow up. Please reach out to the hotel directly and ask to speak with me. We value your comments and I look forward to connecting with you.
Be well,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was here for a day long conference and overnight stay and the staff was amazing from registration to departure. The bartenders are awesome. We grabbed a bite at the bar and the service was impeccable. The rooms are clean and nice. Highly reccomend this property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Westin several times in late 2010-early 2011. At the time, it was pretty wretched, which many of the reviews on here tend to reflect. However, they've recently finished their renovations and the hotel is much, much improved. Standard Westin accommodations with clean fresh-smelling rooms and newly re-tiled bathrooms.

Note that most of the rooms are interior-facing - into a large atrium which itself is fully windowed down the front. So you do get natural light, but filtered through two windows. It's not ideal, but for most business travelers hardly a problem. And yes, you probably could see into someone else's room if you made the effort but I'm not in DC for the view (of the city or my fellow guests)

Staff has clearly been briefed that this is a troubled hotel and are extremely polite and friendly.

Overall, the Westin City Center has become an excellent choice for business travel and I will no longer cringe when I see the W, St. Regis and Westin Georgetown all booked out. In fact, I might choose this over the Westin G-town!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights,
on business. Housekeeping stole my contact case 2 nights in a row--yes, you read that right. Which you discover when trying to go to sleep. And the hotel tells you to go buy a new case. To top it off, a restaurant outside room has a wood fire grill that makes my room and all my things smell like I've been camping for 3 days. Not ideal when in town for business, on deadline. I travel 1/3 of the year. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2014
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest. I am sorry to hear your stay was less than positive. I assure you we will look into the challenge regarding your contact case. This has never been an issue before and we will take precautionary measures to ensure it does not happen in the future. The smell is admittedly a challenge and we are trying new things and working with our neighbors to correct this. This is not consistent nor does it affect all the rooms. I am sorry you were not offered a room move.
Please let me know if your journey brings you back to Washington DC, so I can ensure a renewing experience.
Be well,
Daniel Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As a Starwood fan, I have not stayed at the Westin City Center before in Washington, this is the first time.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and the hotel has been recently renovated as the rooms are fresh, neat and clean. The location is excellent if you are on business downtown as you are dead center to all the activity.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center? Share your experiences!