“Great Hotel, Bad Customer Service, Hidden Price Changes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

Save Saved
You added The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center to your Saves list
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 M St. NW, between 15th Street NW & Thompson Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Formerly Wyndham Washington) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #101 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Great Hotel, Bad Customer Service, Hidden Price Changes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

When we first arrived at the hotel the staff in the valet was courteous and respectful. The front desk staff was also courteous and respectful. They greeted me by Mr and my last name. Also recognized that I am Starwood Preferred Member. The lobby was clean and the security guard that was checking your hotel key was also a nice touch. The room was beautiful and was also very nice. It felt and smelled clean. The beds were very nice and the bathrooms were nice as well. The issue that I had was, when I first booked the room I was told that the valet parking charge was $45 a night for overnight parking. Then when I receive my bill at the end of my stay it was $55 for each night. Where did that extra $10 come from? It didnt say $45 and tax was $10 so I was confused as to where to the extra $10 a night for parking came from. I tried calling the front desk and they transferred me to a voicemail that said they would return my call within 24 hours. I never heard from anyone. I tried calling again left another message, and i still have not heard anyone. So basically I was charged an extra $10 a night for parking and no one has contacted me as far as why they charged me that amount and when they will put that extra money back on my card. I would not suggest staying at this hotel unless you want to be over charged for your hotel stay and your parking. I will never stay here again. I have a left another bad review for them when i was sent the Westin reviews email. I will continue to leave bad reviews as long this issue is not corrected. I dont want this happening to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at the Westin in DC on my last business trip (approximately a week ago). The hotel rooms were very comfortable and clean with a modern look. The hotel staff was very friendly and provided excellent service while checking in and out. If I come back to DC, I would definitely stay at this location again.

My room on the 9th floor overlooked the atrium which made it some what hard to tell what the weather was like on the outside (we had a lot of rain on the second day).

Room Tip: My room on the 9th floor overlooked the atrium which made it some what hard to tell what the weather...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Westin appears to have recently finished a renovation and it shows - the place looks great, nice and modern, with large TVs in each room. The rooms are spacious, clean, and the bed in particular is extremely comfortable (probably one of the best I've ever slept in). The staff were pleasant and courteous. I'd say this is more of a business than a casual tourist/family hotel.

I was pleased that I managed to get a room for quite cheap, although, and I may be a bit pedantic here, it would have been nice if wifi was free/included in the price of the room - there was frequently quite a few people (myself included) camped out in the lobby to use the free wifi. Room for improvement there but otherwise a pleasant stay.

I'd recommend to others and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Well none of the rooms have a view, as they all face inwards from what I can tell. Just aim for a hi...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I guess the hotel was being renovated so hence a lot of negative reviews. Except for a mediocre fitness center, the hotel is excellent.

I was upgraded to a City View on the seventh floor. The rooms are beautifully renovated and quite large. My King bed was heavenly :). The bathrooms are also good sized with excellent Westin shower and great bath products.

There is a coffee maker, safe, small fridge and iron and ironing board. No bathrobe.

The public areas are lovely and there were apples and fruit infused water for the guests. Service was friendly and professional.

A bit of a walk to the Metro but very doable. Convenient to great restaurants and shops on 14th Street corridor. Walked back from National Gallery.

Don't believe the naysayers. A great DC choice.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
SLC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. My husband accompanied me on the trip and took the opportunity to explore Washington D.C.. He loved the central location and the fact that so many of the nation's monuments and great spots were so close to our hotel.

The layout of the hotel is a bit awkward for conference guests since we had to get off at the lobby and take another elevator down to the conference rooms. Otherwise the stay was great. There was some construction occurring during our stay, it took two elevators out of commission so it took a while to get to your floor. Otherwise, there wasn't much noise or anything else to worry about.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Westin was very nice for a business trip. The check in was quick even though I adjusted my departure. The room is large with the typical Westin amenities on the preferred guest floor. The room had some signs of use - marks on the chair and wall. Room service had a large variety of options, include the Superfoods choices. Food was good and delivered within 30 minutes. We had the breakfast buffet which was good and the service kept the coffee cup filled.

While it was perfect location for work (0.5 mile walk to work), I would choose a different hotel if I took my family to visit the DC sights since it is further than I prefer.

• Stayed August 2014
Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very nice upscale hotel. Beautiful inside the lobby. Very pricey for a normal family. Room and shower were nice with a big 55 inch TV set.Our view was looking out at other rooms.Service was nice with tips expected. Employees were nice.Good sandwich shop called The West Wing at street level.Good place to stay near all the attractions.

Room Tip: Kinda expensive area to stay but nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center? Share your experiences!