“Very bad impression (even before getting there)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

Save Saved
You added The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center to your Saves list
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 M St. NW, between 15th Street NW & Thompson Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Formerly Wyndham Washington) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #103 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Very bad impression (even before getting there)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This would be my first bad review here on trip advisor.

I will be staying at this property in August, and because of some issue with my original card, I was contacted by email to ask for new form of payments (which is reasonable).

So I called the hotel to provide that. I was contacted by "SIOBHAN DELGADO" again saying " Unfortunately this new card has also declined. Please provide a valid, chargeable credit card by 5:00pm (EST) tomorrow, July 29, or this reservation will be cancelled."

Seriously, so far, I have never encountered any hotel contacting me with this kind of tone. Most hotel will also not give this kinda "give me the money now or don't bother to come" attitude.

I am not having a good experience before even arriving to the hotel. Good job.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Went with our family of four for an overnight stay this weekend. Opted for the hotel valet out of sheer convenience and laziness. Check in was a breeze - lobby seemed spacious with plenty of seating, bar area and a device charging station that also had seating. We were situated in a 6th floor room facing the city - excellent view and so quiet. Room was very clean and no defects were noted. Bathroom was nice, especially the dual head shower. Room also had a fridge and plenty of outlets. Did not opt for purchasing the WIFI, as we could get a 4G signal in the room, The hotel is within walking distance to a myriad of restaurants, shops, etc.and not far from the Smithsonian Museums. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant (on the Mezzanine level). Food was very good, but the service was somewhat uneven. Not uneven enough to warrant decreasing the rating. Definitely will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose city view. 6th floor had a great view and was very quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

All the hotel staff was very very helpful, since i arrived to the hotel Eric (at the valet parking) helped me to receive my car and helped me to carry my luggage. Ta'maya and Fa'ye at the front desk They were Always smiling and Kelly Sites with all the staff made me feel like home. Very good experience.

• Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked my stay on June 2, 2014 for July 19, 2014 way over a months’ time. I noticed that when I arrived to the hotel there was a sorority convention and also the lobby was full with children, I guess a children's trip as well. Ok not a problem I'm here to enjoy my stay at the westin. When checking in, the front desk staff was very nice. I proceeded to my room and when I arrived it wasn't the room that I booked. I booked the Atrium Suite, I was having a few friends come and visit while in DC for the night so I needed a larger room and one of my visitors is handicap as well. And would require the space to move around.

The room they had me in was a double bed room all the way down on the other side of the hotel w/ NO VIEW!!! My view was an large A/C unit that was very loud!!! I called the front desk to explain that I was given the wrong room. The manger Mr. Faye got on the phone and told me that there was nothing that he could do. The hotel is completely booked. I informed him that I'll down to speak with him. Once arriving at the front desk he was very RUDE!!! Cutting me off when trying to talk and telling me that the hotel is booked! And that's basically it! I told him that I booked my room over a month ago and how can you possible give a reserved room away? He then rolls his eyes like I'm irritating him with my questions. I explained that it's my birthday and I would be having a few friends to visit me while in DC and one of the people is handicap. He then tells me that I'm not ALLOWED TO HAVE A PARTY IN THE HOTEL ROOM!
I explained that I'm not having a party and no loud music will be played. Just 7 friends coming to see me while staying here. I'm from out of town and I wouldn't mind seeing my friends while visiting Washington, DC. Just as if I was getting married and having a beauty team coming to service me. They would come and leave within a few hrs.

I will be the only guest staying in this room and that's it. Again the manager was RUDE!!! He Looks at me like I'm crazy and tells me that there is nothing he can do. No rooms are available and I'll have to take these room if I would like to stay here for the night. So basically I have no other option! I have my friends coming to visit me and idk what other hotel to go too. So I have no choice! I go back to this room that he decided to stick me in! And it's extremely warm, I call the front desk twice and was informed them no air is coming out if the vents. And they told me that they would send someone to look at the air conditioner. And guess what???? NO ONE NEVER CAME!!! That room was like a sauna! No air at all! It was so uncomfortable sleeping in that room! I asked for an iPod docket as well because my suite that I had booked had one it in! But of course they couldn't accommodate my require for an iPod docket or air.

I suggest that you choice another hotel!!! That manager is the worst! And as a business owner myself. When I'm in the wrong I accommodate my clients and make sure they have outstanding service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered during your stay. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to ensure we are able to look into the situation and address it accordingly. Please contact the hotel and ask to speak with me so I can renew your experience.
Be well,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Overall I would say this is in a great location- about a mile and a half from the national mall and attractions, blocks away (p-r) are some great restaurants and the hotel itself is very nice.

I would say it is very middle of the road as a hotel. The rooms are clean and nice. Love the dual shower heads in the bathroom. Beds are comfortable. TV is huge. Our view overlooks the hotel lobby from the 9th floor. Staff very friendly and helpful. Special thanks to our bellhop who gave us great food recs!!! Wish I could remember his name!! Hotel seems like it's Mostly for business travelers but we were vacationing and found it to be perfect for our needs.

One last thing to park in the building it's $55 a day which to me seems excessive but perhaps not because you are in a city where parking is at a premium.

Stayed July 2014
Phenix City, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was our first trip to Washington D.C. so I really wanted a nice hotel close to everything, so I looked at the map and thought this was it. It is a very nice hotel but its about a mile north of everything you will want to see. Closer to Georgetown than to the Mall. It is a short walk (1/4 mile) to the metro and of course only a mile to the Mall area, but this gets to be a hassle and expensive if you're riding the metro. The other problem I had is that as I said, the hotel is very nice, but there is no view of anything. I guess I had this romantic notion of looking out my window at the Washington monument. Next time I will just pay a little extra for a better location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I got caught in town during a conference so the rate for a twin bed room before anything else was close to $500 per night.
The room was comfortable but fairly tight. There was supposed to be a safe in the room but all that was actually there was the base.
The staff were friendly but a little short in number, particularly at check out.
It was supposed to have been refurbished but in some areas, eg the elevators, things looked a little tired.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center? Share your experiences!