“Excellent location , good food and that's it.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

Save Saved
You added The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center to your Saves list
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 M St. NW, between 15th Street NW & Thompson Circle NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Formerly Wyndham Washington) (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #106 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Gardner, Massachusetts
“Excellent location , good food and that's it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Perfect location to go visit all the memorials , like 20-25 minutes walking distance to the constitution Av. and the national mall, comfortable rooms ,but not great service ,after 3 calls to the reception and waiting for 2 hours for a room service menu (they didn't have one on my room and couldn't find an extra one in the whole hotel ),we end it up eating in the hotel restaurant , the food was really good ( the NY strip steak was EXCELLENT ) , for the price of the hotel stay , you will expect a better management , the valet parking is $43.00/night .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chisinau, Moldova
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is such a mixed bag. The room itself is fine, standard Westin setup and decor, new enough to be comfortable. However, the elevators and worst of all the SERVICE, are both extremely slow. We stayed over a weekend and into the early week, and it was not unusual to wait a full five minutes for an elevator. That doesn't sound like such a long time, but when you're standing around waiting and in a rush, it really is.

We also found the service center to be extremely slow with responding to requests, and on two occasions they actually forgot to bring what we asked for - a bottle opener one time, and FORKS the next time. The valet parking is also very slow, taking at least ten minutes to bring our car around each time.

Unless you absolutely must stay right downtown, I would recommend staying at the Westin in Ballston instead. It's much nicer, and actually a better location in my opinion.

Room Tip: Because the elevators are so slow, try to get a room on a lower level. We were on the 10th floor (S...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Yes, this hotel is a bit strange with the atrium. But there is something retro cool about it. I did see that there are renovations coming to the lobby and rooms. I like rooms that are darker so that I can sleep in easily without the sun blaring through. What makes up for the lack of exterior views are that the rooms are generally larger than most city hotels. Service here is always top notch. We stayed in an atrium suite which is very spacious. Previous stays in a King room were more than adequate in size. Our SPG platinum status was fully recognized at check-in and we were greeted with breakfast and drink coupons. The bottle of wine sent up after we settled into our room was a nice welcome amenity. Now this may not be standard protocol but made up for our horrible stay at a previous SPG property. You could tell management really cared about makin our stay comfortable in our new room. I will definitely come back to this hotel for the great staff!

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

If I could give this poor/average, I would...

This is just an older hotel that is poorly lit on the inside and practically has no natural lighting whatsoever. When you walk in there is an atrium, which many of the hotel rooms have windows or even balconies into -- yes, that's right, balconies facing the inside atrium at the hotel.

It's pretty weird. I've even stayed in some of the nicer suites at this hotel, which are very cool, but they are also just weird -- hot tub with mirrors all around it. The elevators are also a bit beat-up and often require a long wait.

Ultimately, the rooms themselves are okay and pretty standard -- i.e., the standard qualities of a Westin are enforced. This is the only reason why I think this hotel is poor, but leaning towards average.

The service is also so-so / average. Front desk never seems really on top of their game.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dearborn, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin D.C City center and I would have to say I would never stay at the hotel again. I am usually quite generous and forgiving with incidents occurring on vacation as things just happen and there is nothing you can do about it, however the Westin was one of the worst stays I have ever had. I booked through Priceline and to start off they did not have my reservation, I had to call Priceline myself to get the hotel problem fixed. As I am talking to the Priceline Representative I was informed that they no longer had any double beds, so they put me in a king with a roll away for the first night and then had to move me to another room. I asked if they could compensate me with anything, as they did not have the room I booked, the woman said No. Then I ate a $22 a person breakfast the next day that was definitely not worth it, terrible actually and they charged me a 20% gratuity that showed up on my credit card when I did not write it in. I asked about it the next day and they informed me that it would change to my actual gratuity within a couple of days (still waiting). Next I got back to my room the next night to see my phone charger on the table broken! I took it to the front desk and left it with the clerk. The next morning the manager called and said that the maid fessed up that morning on breaking it; they ended up giving me a new one (at least it seamed new) and a free night of parking. On the bad the parking was a disaster and the breakfast was horrible and overpriced. On the plus though the beds were nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We got a last minute deal for a room here with the hotel tonight app--$95/night. Overall, certainly worth our $$. The hotel is central, convenient, and pleasant. The valet situation on check-in at 11:00 on a Saturday PM seemed a bit busy, but eventually our car was parked and returned the next AM quickly and without incident. The check-in was quick and easy, front desk staff were friendly and helpful. We had a king room on floor 1 (which actually was like 3 floors up, facing interior) The room was very comfortable, and thought not brand-new I do feel the decor was updated and somewhat modern. Like other Westins, you get the heavenly bed, wonderful shower, and room/bath accessories--which made the stay all the more pleasant. The elevators were slow, however I think one (or many?) were under repair. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are bad rooms--we had one that faced the atrium, but there are black out c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsford, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and will likely not return. It wasn't horrible, but it really felt worn. The first room I was offered was dark, oddly configured and looked out on a deserted alley. I told my wife that it felt like a coffin. I rarely change rooms when I travel, but this time I did. The next room was better. It had nice amenities, but it was an interior atrium room and tended to always be dark. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. However, in general, the hotel desperately needs some updating. On the positive side, the atrium bar is nice and the service is very friendly. So, not a terrible place, just slightly below average.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center? Share your experiences!