“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Wow, what a great place to stay. I came across Woodley Park Guest House whilst searching for affordable accommodation in the DC area. I decided to give it a try and so I booked a single room with a shared bathroom and what a great decision that turned out to be. The room was quite small but very clean and comfortable and suited me perfectly and although I was a bit worried about having to share a bathroom this was no problem at all. The house itself is in a lovely area close to the centre of Washington DC and was a perfect launching pad for my adventures into the capital and surrounds.

A highlight of my stay would be going down to breakfast every morning and sitting at a communal table with a diverse and ever-changing array of fellow guests and partaking in conversations that ranged from recent advances in gene therapy and plasma physics, to trying and failing to explain cricket to Americans and the problems related to fitting toilets in small bathrooms (thanks for that Joe). I also received some personal good news whilst I was staying at the guest house and the owner, Courtney and her staff went out of their way to help me celebrate the event which was greatly appreciated.

In all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Woodley Park Guest House and I was made to feel at home from the moment I arrived until I reluctantly walked out of the front door six days later. I cannot recommend the place more highly.

Richard

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was my first stay at Woodley Park, although my husband has stayed here several times, so I knew what to expect--and I was not disappointed! I came to DC to pick up my daughter, who was coming home for the summer after her junior year of college. On the drive down from Boston I ran into some nasty traffic and knew I'd be arriving later than I'd expected. Not a problem--Kelly was gracious and let me know that even if I couldn't get there before she left for the evening, she could leave a key for me. It wasn't necessary in the end--which was nice, because I got to meet Kelly in person (she's lovely), and she upgraded me to a nicer room as well. The Guest House has everything one would need to feel comfortable and at-home, including a small kitchenette where guests have access to hot tea, water, and snacks around the clock. Comfortable beds, immaculate bathrooms, charming atmosphere, great staff, interesting guests, delicious breakfast, parking if needed, PLUS a great location right next to the Metro….. lots of places to eat and shop right along Connecticut Ave. as well. I know I sound overly enthusiastic but this is a property that deserves superlatives….. we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My daughter lives in DC. I usually stay at a nearby boutique hotel. Could not get a reservation and based on reviews found on Trip Advisor decided to give WPGH a try. This place is a gem. It is spotless and the staff friendly. I had a room on the basement level. It was a little musty when I checked in (it was a rainy week.) A dehumidifier was placed in the room and after an hour you could not tell that it had been musty. For the inconvenience (I did not think there was any) the owner comped my parking for the night. The room itself was spacious and very quiet. There is no TV but the WIFI worked great. I had other plans for breakfast but I was offered coffee to go. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

As an alternative to staying at the Marriott Wardman Park, it does not get much better than this. Attending a conference last month in Washington, I searched and found the Woodley Park Guest House. Not knowing anything about this establishment, I called and was fortunate enough to speak with Kelly. Kelly, described the guest house and managed my reservation. She was personable, accommodating, gracious and provided me with outstanding customer service. When I arrived and during my stay, I was not disappointed and could not have been treated any better. Noelle and Kelly went out of their way to ensure an excellent experience. The breakfast was wonderful, the conversation and shared experienced with guests was remarkable, and as a result my stay was marvelous. When I return to the DC area, the Woodley Park Guest House will definitely see me again. Thank you Courtney for being a gracious hostess and owner and hiring a staff that made my stay feel like home.
Sandy Holst

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Marriott.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

From the moment I walked through the front door, I was made to feel welcome. I don't want to add at length to all the accolades that have already been written about this place, but it really was so clean, friendly and very comfortable! I met some very interesting fellow travellers, as well as having great conversations with Courtney, Joe, Noel and Kelly. Combine that with the great location, so close to the Metro station and numerous good places to eat, and you've got a truly fab place to base yourself during your visit to DC. Oh, and there's a little kitchen where you can make yourself a hot drink whenever you want. Perfect for a Brit who needs her cup of tea in the afternoon!

Room Tip: Room 132 was perfect for a solo traveller: ensuite toilet & washbasin so you only share the show...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was recently in D.C. for a convention and had a four day stay at the Woodley Park Guest House. This is the second time that I have stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House. It was a very enjoyable experience and was just as enjoyable as the first time that I stayed there. The owners, Courtney and Joe, and their staff were very cordial, polite, and attentive to my needs. The rooms are immaculate and attractive. The breakfast is delicious. Courtney and Joe make sure that everyone is introduced to one another and keep the conversation flowing. during the meal. It made for a very nice dining experience. The afternoon snacks were a nice treat to look forward to. It is conveniently located near the Metro Red Line and many nice restaurants. The convention meets again in two years and I look forward to staying again at the Woodley Park Guest House when I return.

Belmar, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

While in D.C. on business, I recently had the pleasure of a too short but very memorable stay at the Woodley Park Guest House. What an unexpected treat. From the lovely Innkeepers Courtney and Joe to the equally lovely and extremely attentive staff, I was made to feel incredibly comfortable and welcomed. The House is so lovely! From the beautiful art work, to the comfortable and spotless rooms, to the delicious breakfast and afternoon snacks, it was a relaxing and safe home away from home. Perfectly located less than 1/2 block off of Connecticut Avenue in Woodley Park, the Metro Red Line and neighborhood restaurants are within the shortest of walking distances. Although my 2 day stay was met with torrential rain, I could not have felt more warm and comfortable had I been in my own home. I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Woodley Park Guest House? Share your experiences!