“Always worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Always worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We've stayed there a few times: rather fascinating place! Some serious history, a great neighborhood, and all the conveniences of a highline inn or B&B. Breakfast spreads were very good. "P" Street a block away full of good eateries.
A collection of attached houses (with a newer addition in between historic homes), the Mansion has a range of different rooms and fascinating stuff throughout. Not cheap (but with some bargains), an interesting "different" site for camping out far from cookie-cutter hotels. The staff are professional, helpful, and unobtrusive. Extended stays would be a real treat. Parking can usually be arranged, but you need to tell the staff before check-in. Worth a visit for special food events! Excellent business facilities for road-warriors.

Room Tip: Some rooms in "new additions" are more modern; some upper rooms give a view of a nice DC r...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

i really don't understand how there can be so many positive reviews...hence my title.

I only took a tour, and did not stay there, but I think my experience will be helpful for people looking for a hotel as well--hence my review. As a DC resident, I had actually never heard of this place before getting a deal on a "tour." By tour, I mean, I was allowed to walk around the place. I guess it was interesting to see, but I found it to be kind of nightmareish. It's very quirky. There are secret doors (though I found only one), everything is for sale, and the rooms are all themed. It will definitely provide a unique experience, if that's what you're after, but I can say with utmost confidence that you couldn't pay ME to stay there. From what I understand, some of the rooms are upwards of $500 per night. I find this ludicrous. To qualify my review, too, I will say I'm not a fan of B&Bs in general, but this was in the extreme.

Imagine, if you will, a packed to the gills antique store. Then, imagine this antique store is one of those antique meets junk stores that will sell anything from old Garfield mugs and random plastic toys to armoires. Then imagine the stuff for sale is all overpriced. Then imagine sleeping amongst this. There was a bit of a musty smell--as you'll have with old stuff piled from floor to ceiling--and I think some people were smoking too because there was a heavy cigarette smell in some places.

The bathrooms were mostly huge and clean and the beds looked comfortable. Most of the fixtures look like they could use updating--they're all circa 80s, I'm guessing--but at least they were clean. Other positives are the location--you don't get much better than Dupont Circle.

You might want to take a tour as a quirky activity, though I wouldn't probably again.

The overstimulation from all the stuff everywhere was a bit much, and at one point, I felt a bit sick. I'm trying not to be overdramatic, but I think you need to know what you're in for. I applaud the uniqueness, but it's not for everyone. Like me.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was my very first stop while visiting Washington DC! I had the most wonderful afternoon exploring every nook and cranny of this unbelievable house/museum. I was greeted warmly and whisked through a series of mazes that enabled me to forget about the outside world and "check out" from the craziness of life in exchange for the craziness of this house. What a fun experience! I was encouraged several times to sit down, relax, kick my shoes off and read a book (which there were thousands of scattered all throughout the house!)

I signed up for a scavenger hunt, but honestly I was busier "scavenging" through all the items, shopping, to really pay that much attention to what was on my sheet. Lol. After finding my way through several secret passageways, I would forget what floor I was even on! I made several trips down to the first floor where my pile of items to be purchased was being amassed on a couch. When they say everything is for sell, they mean EVERYTHING! I opened closets, armoires, trunks, desks, etc and "H" politely sold me anything I wanted (sometimes asking me where in the world I had found it!)

All in all I ended up buying several old, obscure, and delightful books, a family board game from the 70's, CDs I hadn't seen in decades, several pieces of china, a lazy Susan, a beautiful handcarved sandstone nightlight, and several other items I couldn't live without. The only thing that makes me happier than finding great treasures is knowing that all the proceeds go back to charity.

I spent 6 hours exploring all that the mansion on the o had to offer for a mere $20 donation. That was the best $20 I spent my entire time in DC. I will definitely be coming back very soon, and bringing my friends with me! Thank you "H"

Becky Hill.
Louisville, Ky

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Northern Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

All the previous reviews talk about the decoration (amazing), artwork (incredible), mess (well, we disagree there...eye of the beholder and such), so we will not harp on any of those.

We stayed in the Newport Suite, with three bedrooms and one bath. We all loved the entry, which was behind a hidden door. Each room was decorated in a unique style, having a gallery of art. All had (tube) tv's, very comfortable (king, craftmatic-style king or twin) bed, dressers and closets. The bathroom was richly decorated, with a bidet and shower/tub contraption from the Jetsons ... Amazing body spray, overhead rain options. There did not seem to be a safe in any of them, nor, surprisingly, a phone. Since we all have cell phones "nowadays", the phone situation was not terribly inconvenient. We did not inquire about a hotel safe, since we had nothing valuable with us.

Ted was the consummate host, taking the time to bring us on an amazing tour of the Mansion. We did not encounter many other staff during our stay, but the one time we needed assistance in our room, Ted answered the phone quickly and came right down (up, across?) to help.

We had brunch, which was VERY varied and mostly excellent as any and better than most in DC. Service was efficient and polite, if not necessarily attentive. When we DID request a refill or cream, they were brought quickly and cheerfully. Brunch reviewed elsewhere, so not dedicating much space to that.

Being Memorial Day weekend, there seemed to be only one or two other groups of guests. I will be interested to find out how the Mansion handles a full house. And we will be back to find out.

Room Tip: If possible, see them all before deciding
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Stayed at the Mansion recently for almost two weeks and it was the absolute best "hotel" experience I've ever had. I travel quite a bit and have stayed at hotels on most every continent. I don't know how to describe the Mansion. It's not a place to stay, it's a place to experience. It's quirky and funky. It's clean and comfortable. The staff are warm and welcoming. It's a luxury stay in a unique setting for a reasonable price. The proprietors are so nice and love to talk about all of the unique "things" around the Mansion - signed guitars, special rooms, framed photos. My room had a poodle dog skirt signed by Hillary Rodham Clinton and framed with a picture of her sock hop birthday party. There was literally something interesting in every room. My young-adult kids came and stayed with me for a few nights and spent hours just wandering and looking.
If you want pure luxury, then the Ritz is a great place. If you want luxury with a unique twist, this is it. AND it's in a great location, about two blocks from the Dupont metro, plenty of good eats and fun shops to walk to!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

It is so cramped and crazy, weird stuff and pics everywhere even in the bathroom! The staff member/owner is extremely rude.
The Mansion(building) itself is a very interesting place to visit but that's it.
I will never recommend staying there!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

This place is just damn cool. My room had hundreds of books, 3 Large screen TVs, separate sitting room, walk in closet, upstairs kitchen. And, oh yeah, bedroom with fireplace. There are signed guitars around the place, and filled with thrift shop kitch. I didn't get a key, because nobody could find my door anyway - hidden behind a corner and behind a bookcase with a handle inside a and behind an old LP.
Loved it. Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Mansion on O Street? Share your experiences!