“Great Hotel, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA - Save 5% Today!
Ranked #92 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for business multiple times and it has become a favorite. First, you get to start with a warm cookie. Who does not love that? I thought the hotel was very nice. My room was always spotless and the service was excellent. The hotel is a little older but they have definitely done renovations and kept it up. The restaurant on the first floor was good. They will also deliver to your room if you do not have much time. I also used the work out room in the basement and it had a couple machines. They were all in very good working order which is all I care about. My favorite part of this hotel is the location. Close to the White House and Dupont Circle. There are tons of good place to eat nearby and it was a short ride to the airport. I will stay here again when in town.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Gary G, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel Washington DC, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words about the hotel. Our great location and fantastic team make for a great combination whether traveling for work or pleasure.

We are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you and have a great week!

Gary Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Vedbaek, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for one night only, which was enough for disappointment. The room was not ready on arrival. The furniture in the room was broken and the towels were outdated. The worst came when there a party in the room next door started and it felt like people were sitting, chatting and laughing on my bed at 1 in the morning! Calling the reception didn't do much, so I had to call the other room myself asking them to be less noisy. The only good thing about the hotel is it's central location, however I won't stay here again if needed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry about the nosy party next door. We always follow through with a call or visit to guest rooms when we receive complaints from other guests in hotel. I assure you this is not typical of our guests or our towel condition. We have reviewed inspecting of guest room towels with our team and linen company to assure we receive only quality products for our Doubletree guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We do want to see you back in the future.

Merchantville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

As first this hotel was not on my good side from check in alone. The check in took about 20 mins for an issue on the hotels side. The gentleman who checked us in told me that the room is away from the elevator, we get to our room and it is directly across from the elevator. So I called down and he came up right away and apologized and upgraded us. (thank you for that, not needed but thank you) The whole issue was that being delayed 20 min and then having to wait to change rooms made us late for a dinner reservation and we only had one night to enjoy DC. When it is your loved ones first time in a new city you want it to be special especially when he is in the military, every second matters. Yes in the end we enjoyed our stay but the beginning was very rough. I would like to thank Doreen Hyde for understanding and actually caring and going above and beyond. There needs to be more managers like her in the industry. Its not always about the perks but who takes the time to contact you and listen to your experience. By the way the hotel was perfect, clean lobby and rooms. Just my personal experience is why this is not rated excellent!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased that overall you had a great stay but I am sorry to hear we had some issues with your check in and room location request. It means alto to me for you to recognize Doreen in her efforts to reach out and make the situation right. I feel we have a good hearted and kind team here and I was happy you experienced that first had.

I hope you enjoyed your special night in DC and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My friends and I decided to stay at the DoubleTree because we'd heard good things. Thankfully,we weren't let down. We stayed in room 310,good room, about a week. The staff was extremely friendly, the location was perfect,and amenities accommodating. At check-in/check-out we received delicious chocolate chip cookies,which I felt added a personal "home away from home" touch. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get everyones name,but EVERY single valet guys were EXCELLENT. Talk about above and beyond. Other employees that went above and beyond were Michael the night auditor,Allem the hostess, and Lois the friendly front desk clerk. Basically everyone....Outstanding Job.*

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit and week long stay at our hotel. I appreciate the fact that you recognize that we have a great location but I really appreciate and I am quite pleased you recognized so many of my team members during your visit. We have a great team of warm hearted, proud team members here. I will be sure to share and recognize the team members for their kind hospitality they extended.

We are looking forward to a return visit in the future. We hope you had a safe trip back home.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Room was ready on arrival, but as per usual had one of the back of the hotel with no view except of the bins and car park which seemed to be emptied rather loudly every day at 6am. everything was nice in the room beds, pillows, plenty of towels, my travel companion is a Hilton employee back home in S Wales UK so it would have been nice if something complimentary had been given, a room upgrade or something as the rooms with 2 beds are a bit small, but they were clean and had all that was needed in fairness, I think free WiFi should be the norm not charged for, and there is a lack of payphones not only at this hotel but generally everywhere, and this makes it awkward for us foreign visitors, as using our own cellphones is very expensive. They do a nice breakfast at this hotel, I had a free breakfast with my booking although the hotel said I did not as they had not been advised by Expedia luckily I had my printed details with me to prove I did have the breakfast, and thankfully we overcame that one they did not quibble once I provided my paperwork, although I did feel a bit like a criminal trying to steal a free brekkie ! There is quite a walk to the metro station/restaurants I estimate best part of a mile (Dupont circle). Car hire would be difficult here as there is no free parking in the area and the hotel parking (I felt ) quite expensive at $37 a night. I was not really told about any services the hotel had to offer by the staff, although they were all very nice and polite, they did allow me to stay in the room an extra hour before departing thankfully. I would stay here again as I did rely on the Hilton association but next time I would be asking for a front view room at least.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit. I am sorry you did not receive a room in the front of the hotel, but when you return if could make that room request, we would be pleased to build into your guest profile for future stays and do our best to satisfy that request. I am pleased you had a great experience with our team and enjoyed our wonderful breakfast we had to offer in the restaurant.

I hope you had a safe trip back to the UK and we are looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to the DC area.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Doubletree, having selected it for its association with Hilton and its very central location. The first surprise was that even though we arrived around 4:30 pm, our rooms weren't ready - they said some staff were out sick, but it is a bummer to wait around when their check-in policy says we should be able to get in the rooms by I think 2pm. We're not huge cookie fans but the chocolate chip cookie is a plus. The valet parking was pretty expensive. Our room was huge and very nicely appointed. They do charge for Internet access which to me is a major drag - why can't they just include it in the room fee? The elevators were very slow and very crowded as a consequence. The staff were really pleasant but a little clueless. We liked that there were ice machines, the air conditioning worked and the room was clean, so all in all not a bad experience. I'd recommend it if you need to be in central DC, but on balance I think I prefer the Capital Hilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent visit. I am sorry your room was not ready by 3PM check in. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly. We do have a few new members that are getting acquainted with the area but all in all we have a great team. We do encourage our guests to sign up for Hilton Honors if you are not a member to participate in perks such as free internet. We also have a couple on line packages that include internet as a choice so you may customize your needs during your stay. We do have four elevators available in the hotel but they can become busy at times during sold out days. We have reviewed with our team to remind guests of the additional elevator that is available to the sixth through the eight floors located in the additional tower of the building.

We hope you had a safe trip home and we are looking forward to a return trip to our hotel. Thank you once again for your valuable input.

Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very rarely, do I give a hotel 5 stars, but these guys earned it. I stay at more than 40 hotels per year and this one was top notch.
Upon arrival and check in I was given a Doubletree traditional WARM chocolate chip cookie - YUM. I had a few more throughout my stay, and as always - they are FREE. My room was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, very nice suite with table sitting area, small kitchenette (but no microwave). The bathroom was spacious with a garden tub and shower.
Bedroom lines were nice and towels were soft.
Gym was OK, but the hotel offers free passes to the YMCA - well worth it!
There is a restaurant/bar on site. They have a descent happy hour, but normal prices are quite high. The front desk has buy one get one drink coupons... if you don't get one on check in - check with them and you can probably get one.
The staff was great!
One downfall.... no pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gary G, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel Washington DC, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for the great review regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased you recognized our great team. Our friendly team is surpassed only by our great location and great guest rooms. I am pleased to hear we could accommodate your request at the YMCA. Our fitness center, although small has state of the art Hilton certified PRECOR equipment but some guests choose to get out and experience a larger fitness facility.

We hope you come back soon and yes, we will always have those great, warm cookies waiting for you.