“terrific surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #13 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, Alabama
“terrific surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I hadn't heard of this hotel prior to this trip - but I was delightfully surprised when I found it. What terrific service! Great front desk, great restaurant. Rooms are small, but very well appointed, and extremely comfortable. Near Capitol Hill and the Metro, and just a short walk to a couple of delightful Irish Pubs as well! Glad to have discovered the Hotel George - I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The George, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We're glad you found us too, jco39! And we certainly hope you'll return. Let us know your plans and we'll try to surprise you some more.

Kiah, Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Korean first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The George is a unique and appealing hotel. In a city full of large business/convention hotels, it has a quirky charm. Far from cookie cutter, the hotel is a not-so-subtle tribute to President Washington, which is of course quite appropriate in the city named in his honor. It sounds cheesy, but the George-themed decor is interesting and fun.

Service is very gracious and personal. I was greeted with a glass of wine at check-in... certainly a first!

The location is great, within very easy walking distance of Union Station. And the main tourist attractions are a short walk, Metro trip, or tax ride away. If fine dining is your thing, the acclaimed Bistro Bis is on the ground floor. It's expensive but not to be missed. Fortunately, there are many affordable options in the neighborhood, including an adjacent Corner Bakery that is perfect for breakfast.

I guess if I have a criticism, it's that the rooms aren't as comfortable as they might be at a more conventional hotel. The bathrooms are spacious and lovely, with separate tub and shower. I did wish for more room in the sleeping area. It wasn't tight by any means, but I would have given up some of the bathroom square footage for a little more space in the bedroom... and a more comfortable chair. The Wi-Fi is free but slow.

A very important note: ask for a room that faces the exterior of the building. Half of the rooms face an internal airshaft, which creates a gloomy vibe. It also requires that curtains remain pulled at all times for privacy.

So, yes, Mr. Washington would be pleased. You probably will be, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the exterior of the building. Half of the rooms face an internal airshaft...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
While we do appreciate your (obviously astute) assessment of George Washington's positive regard, it's yours we're more excited about, pricelinetraveler. Thank you for the fantastic review! We hope to see you again! That may have been the first time your received wine at check in, but it should not be the last.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Great location, close to main rail station which is a smart site in itself...and next to Capitol Hill.
Very smart rooms, bar and restaurant...really impressed.
Easy to walk to all sites, monuments/museums, and wonderful to come back to.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Our lives are complete now that bananalaser has deemed us perfect! What more is there?! Thanks for the great review. We like your style.

Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed dining at Bistro Bis for some years now and recently decided to stay at The George on a trip to Washington this summer. Our expectations were exceeded in several ways - first, the front desk check in experience was friendly, cordial, and helpful. The bellman was friendly and helpful as were the housekeeping staff. Our room was comfortable, and the bedding was just great. We had dinner the first night at Bistro Bis, and our server Steve did his usual fine job.

We're going back to DC in October and plan to stay at The George again - our new favorite DC hotel. The location is perfect for using Union Station or visiting Capitol Hill.

Room Tip: We were toward the end of a hallway on the 5th floor and enjoyed the extra quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We're so glad you enjoyed yourselves, SuperDave! We hope to become as dependable for quality service as our pals at Bistro Bis. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to make your upcoming stay even better!

See you soon,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrived at The George on a Sunday morning. The staff was great about letting us check in early. The room was lovely, spacious, quiet and clean. However, what impressed me the most was the generous and helpful attitude of the bellman/doorman. I believe his name was "Neguse/Guse." When I checked in, I asked to leave the car in the loading zone until we had seen our room. I wasn't sure where to park and didn't want to spend a lot of money on parking. Goose told me to leave the car keys with him. When I came back downstairs, he had found a parking spot for my car in front of the hotel and I was able to leave the car there until my departure the next day. Outstanding service! I hope the management realizes what a gem they have in Goose.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oh boy did you ever give us the perfect ammunition for embarrassing Neguse! He's flattered, of course, and we're all celebrating him. Thank you for the sweet review. We hope you know that we appreciate you, too.

union
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at The George 6/21-6/27, 2014. The hotel is nice; exactly what was depicted in pictures when we booked it. The reason that we booked this hotel was because it was within walking distance to a lot of stuff. It is close to Union Station, which is nice, because that is where the trolley picks up. The main issue that I had with the hotel was with the bathroom. I was with my husband and two teenage daughters. We're used to each other, but I can't imagine sharing this room with a co-worker and/or friend. Here are the problems with the bathroom... 1. There is no fan, so when you are showering it gets very steamy and the mirror gets very fogged up. There is a window in the bathroom that I would open when we were getting ready, however it only opens about 6 inches and it was 90 degrees outside, so it didn't really offer much assistance. 2. The bathroom door, while very cool and modern, does not allow you any privacy at all. The door has glass in the center that is frosted, so if someone is standing near the door they can see everything. The door does not "close" and seal (because it is a sliding door), so you can hear everything, and I mean everything, especially because there is no fan to drown out the noise. Imagine you're needing to do a "#2", while sharing this room with a friend. They will hear everything. I was with my family and I can tell you that it was very uncomfortable when someone had to use the restroom. We opted for a regular room with two queen beds, so it may be a different setup if you go with a larger room and the bathroom may not even be an issue. The hotel does also cater to pets. I saw this when I booked the room, so I wasn't thrown off by the fact that there was a dog staying across the hall. We have pets, so it didn't bother us that he/she decided to continually bark when we came down the hall to our room. It was the middle of the afternoon, so I can't say that this dog-loving person would have been ok with all of the barking if it was 2:00 in the morning. Other than that, I have no complaints about this hotel. There is a great little place around the corner called the Corner Bakery Cafe that is really good. We also ate at the Dubliner Restaurant and Pub, which is within walking distance, in addition to, Kelly's Irish Times. These were both great and close to the hotel. We parked across the street from the hotel in a very safe parking garage. It was $22 per day versus the $53 that the valet at the hotel was charging. As you can imagine, DC has a large homeless population and several of them must "reside" near the hotel. We saw the same guys every day, and regardless of how many times you passed them, they still ask for money. This made my husband very uncomfortable especially because his main goal is to protect his wife and daughters. I realize this is not the hotel's problem, and I'm not blaming them, however I was just bringing it to your attention. The best part about DC was that all of the museums are free. I came home with money in my pocket, which made me very happy. It is a very active city, so I would recommend buying the trolley ticket and riding to your destination. The drivers are very knowledgable, which made the ride very interesting. Things are very spread out and the map really makes it seem like things are closer than they appear, my advice would be to buy the trolley "on and off" ticket and save yourself blisters on the back of your feet. I hope this was helpful... If you're interesting in getting some great seafood at a great place, check out Mike's Crab House in Riva, MD. It is awesome and about a 45 minute drive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us, dawnimm. We're glad you had a great stay overall! And thanks for bringing that bathroom door to our attention. We'll be investigating that along with your other constructive criticism. There's some great seafood nearby, though! We'd love to point you to some closer spots next time you visit.

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The hotel itself is located just a block or two away from both Union Station and the Capitol building. Its location is also convenient for travel on the DC Circulator buses. Our room was very clean, large and nicely decorated. The room had two queen beds, a large bathroom with both an enclosed shower and a separate tub. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager on Duty at The George, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
We wish you could've stayed longer, too, 3stew_and_van! You know this just means you'll have to come back soon, right?

See you then!