“Highly Recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

Save Saved
You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1!
Ranked #9 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at Hotel George for 4 nights. We ejoyed our stay and found all the staff to be very friendly and approachable. Our room was very clean and set out very well, although we had to ask for soap a couple of times as this wasn't replenished. We went to the wine hosted hour one evening and met a lovely couple from Canada who were visiting DC - it was lovely to sit and relax for that hour and meet like minded travellers. We have stayed at hotels marked 5 star while we have been travelling and I have found the service and room at Hotel George to be far superior to some of those hotels. We will definitely book with Kimpton again (even if we have to plan our trip around their hotels) what a pity they are not in Australia. Keep up the good work guys. Also a special mention to Michael. The hosted wine hour had just finished when we walked in the door, however Michael went and got a wine for us so we could celebrate the 4th of July.

Room Tip: Room 503 is at the end of corridor so it is nice and quiet. We had to keep the blind closed in the b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank DJM from way down under. Really appreciate the thoughtful props. My apologies about the soap issue. See you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just loved it. Really great location for tourism at the city. walking distance to the Capitol and The Mall and very close to the Central Station. Next door there is a very nice Bakery, which was a good substitute for the expensive hotel restaurant.
Great room, very big bathroom and very confortable bed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thanks Gra B for pulling me up from the canvas from Mr. Ajay’s right hook below. I was excited to read you enjoyed your stay at the George. Please let me know when you return so I may introduce myself to you in person. Thanks again.
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice room but horrible service. The front desk when asked to help with restaurant reservations advised me to call myself. They routinely felt that any request was a bother, including interrupting me in mid sentence. This hotel definitely could do with an overhaul of its front desk because the current group has definitely flunked out of customer service 101

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Oh Know Mr. Ajay I need a standing 8 count after that right hook. When I had the pleasure of meeting you and your family in our hotel lobby at checkout you indicated to me that everything was great which actually made my day. What a difference a day makes. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding service and I am sorry we fell short of your expectations. Please give us the opportunity to WOW you on your next visit to Washington D.C. and thank you for the feedback.
Somerset, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The George Hotel was very nice. It was clean and modern. It was in a great location. Very close to the capitol and other attractions. My car did get scratched on the back bumper because the valet parked it against the wall in the parking area. This is very disappointing, especially since valet service is $45 a night. There is a parking garage across the street. That may be a better option. The restaurant was very nice and the food was excellent. I would recommend the hotel, but be ready to pay some extras, as far as parking, tips, etc. Additionally, guests may want to bring their own soap. Only one bar of soap was provided and the shower gel smells like Pine Sol.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors may have a better view. I stayed on the third floor. There was no view and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I searched for an affordable hotel close to the National Mall and Union Station that is eco friendly. We found Hotel George! During the 4th of July they extended the wine social hour for a good part of the evening and provided guests with glow sticks and flags to take with them to the festivities at the Capitol. We were impressed with the thoughtful attention to guests as staff placed a basket of towels at the front desk with a sign indicating they were for your brows (to wipe away sweat) after coming in from a hot day at the parade. The staff at the hotel and restaurant were very attentive to our needs and treated us with respect. I highly recommend this Kimpton hotel.

Green Features: Kimpton hotels, including Hotel George, offer recycling in the room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you sfussel. Very kind of you to share your great experience at the George. Hope to see you again soon.
South Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Unfortunately I was disappointed that there were dirt stains on the carpet in the first room I was in (205), and when I extended my stay and had to move rooms (not a problem), the second room's shower quite shocked me with the very bad mould stains on the grout. Also the shower door was faulty (room 715). Otherwise I am always highly impressed with the standard of the Kimpton chain, and it is delightful to be invited to have a drink in the evenings (even though I've never taken up the offer). As I recall, the previous hotels also offered a welcome drink on arrival, but I wasn't offered one here. Their internet was a bit annoying too. I had to frequently log in which shouldn't have been the case as I was there for over two weeks. The location is excellent. The Bistro Bis downstairs has great food, even if some of the staff are less than friendly. For a terrific cafe, go to Busboys and Poets, a 15 minutes walk on corner of 5th and K streets. And it's great the staff are trained to leave the towels when the guest hangs them. So many hotels say it and write it and post it in the room that guests should do this, but the housekeeping staff invariably change them anyway!! Well done Kimpton.

Green Features: Very pleased to see they don't use plastic bag bin liners, and also have separate bins for recycling and other refuse.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Ouch Mate, We take all comments very seriously and will do a thorough investigation and make corrections as necessary. Hope to have you back from Down under soon.
Rocklin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The George Hotel is situated a block and a half from Union Station and a couple of blocks from the Capitol, making it an excellent location! You can easily walk to the Mall and museums. Getting on the metro couldn't be more convenient.

Our room was modern, spacious and clean. We had a room with two queen beds and a very nice executive desk. I traveled with my husband and two teenage sons and there is plenty of space for four. The bathroom was very modern and clean. The shower looked like it could use a little updating/remodeling, but overall, it was just fine.

If you sign up for Kimpton In Touch, you get free in-room Wi-Fi and a $10 credit to raid the mini-bar! Granted, a candy bar is $4 and a bottle of water is $7, but at least you get a couple of things for free. You also get a choice of newspaper and things like a yoga mat and preferred pillow type. There were a couple of very fashionable robes and slippers for our use (I think that's standard).

The front desk provided me with a running map which was great for my morning run. They had complimentary iced tea and lemonade in the lobby when we checked in and there is also a complimentary happy hour in the evening. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but there is a very good cafe on the corner called the Corner Bakery. We had breakfast and lunch there and both were very good.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Runningrock CA. Thank you for taking the time to share your great review. Enjoy your summer.

Been to The George? Share your experiences!