“The George is Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Advanced Purchase
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Upper Sainte Clair, Pennsylvania, United States
“The George is Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

At check-in I was greeted by Johnny. He was so kind and had a most welcoming smile! I asked about parking and wanted to know what the rates would be for my girlfriend, who was following behind me coming in from a different state. He said that since I purchased the parking package (only a $1.00!) that he would be happy to comp my friend for her stay as well. Everyone at the desk was friendly and courteous. The door men were wonderful as well. He was standing by when I told him my girlfriend was behind me and he assured me that he would take great care of her when she arrived. When she parked at the front of the hotel, he went up to her and said "I know who you are! Please leave your keys and I will park for you and bring in your luggage." It is one thing to be greeted casually when you come to a hotel for the first time, quite another to be told that you are known and expected! I cannot begin to describe the restaurant at the hotel. I had heard it was award winning, but every meal we had there was delicious and the portions were great. The wait staff and bartender were friendly and took care of every need. The room was spacious and very clean. I enjoyed the free happy hour as well! I would stay here again in a heartbeat and will tell all my friends about it as well!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Tara Y, personalized guest service is what we do here at The George ;-) I'm glad you were able to experience my team in action first hand. BTW, Johnny cannot stop smiling after reading his shout out in your review - thank you!! We hope to create another memorable stay for you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My stay was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the restaurant and the afternoon wine tasting. The room was very comfortably laid out with a nice desk area and great bed. The hotel is also very close to many of the major tourist sites in DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Jacqueeccles, thank you for taking the time to share your experience from you recent stay at The George. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the hotels amenities and its prime location. Please come visit us again soon!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our recent trip to Washington, D.C. over the New Year's holiday. It was really great. The staff was extremely nice, the room was very large for an old hotel next to the nations capitol. It's a Kimpton Hotel, so they have a free happy hour in the lobby every day. We had hot toddies and wine...and LOTS of it too. They had a Wii set up in the lobby for kids to play (and adults, too). Overall, the location, hotel, and service was top notch. Highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Chris Cannon: itravl, you can't go wrong with free booze ;-) Thank you for your business - please come back for some more good ol' fashion Kimpton fun!
Medway, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a great hotel and I love to stay here when I'm in DC. For a city hotel, rooms are spacious, well-appointed and quiet for sleeping at night. The hotel staff is extremely helpful and full of great recommendations for places to visit or restaurants to try. The are falso fun perks like a wine hour at 5 PM every night. Gym had up-to-date machines and adequate numbers for no waiting. The Bistro Bis restaurant also has great food and steady stream of recognizable politicians. It's just a few blocks from the Capitol and Union Station - makes it easy to walk to almost all major sights.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Michael F, thank you so much for naming us the "Best Hotel in DC". We know that you have 126 hotels in DC to choose from, so this is truly an honor! Thank you so much for your business, we hope to see you again soon.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

WOW WOW WOW!!!
My mum and I arrived at the Hotel George on a sunday afternoon having driven into DC from Maryland. Although it was not a long drive i was finding the streets of Washington DC as i had not been there for more than a year.
I walked into the hotel and was upset and frazzled after the awful drive I told Edguardo how i was not impressed. That feeling lasted about 30 seconds because Edguardo made my mother and i felt at home welcome and made sure that he could see me smile before we went up to our room. The valet filled my car with petrol, i left medication in my car and it was fetched for me we wanted to go on a tour and after my own inability Edguardo arranged everything for us. We went up to our room and after about 15 mins the phone rang and low and behold it was Edguardo checking we were ok and if he could do anything to help or if we needed anything else.
The room was cosy and warm very clean and bright the beds so comfy we slept like babies and the shower was so nice.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff here i am so happy this was my mystery hotel on hotwire it has made our trip to washington a happy and special on a cold cold weekend.

Room Tip: just ask the staff
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Holy smokes! Edgar strikes again with his exceptional guest service skills. I'm glad you got to experience the one and only first hand - we are very proud to have Edgar on Team George. Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback - please come back for some more of the "Wonderful Edguardo"!
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My sister and I were in DC for a Half Marathon and picked the Hotel George because it was close to Union Station as we were arriving by train. What a find! It was comfortable, clean, stylish, and a staff that was warm and welcoming. We arrived early but they had a room ready for us actually accomodating a change in room we requested. The staff were all freindly and ready to help. Their recommendation for a nearby restaurant was fantastc and just what we wanted. The hotel went out of its way to welcome marathoners and they even had sports backpacks for us the morning of the race with a bottle of water, power bar, and fruit. When returning to DC in the future I will definately stay here again and highly recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Joan S, wellness is one of Kimpton's core programs so we were totally stoked to host the marathon runners. From the clean & stylish rooms to our staff's exceptional guest service, I am pumped that we created a memorable stay for you. Thank you for your business - and please come visit us again soon!
Southeastern U.S.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed at a few other Kimpton Hotels, and have enjoyed each one. This one is located a very easy walk from Union Station Metro. It is pretty much on the corner of North Capitol and E Street, so you can internet-map it and see how close it is to the US Capitol. If you stay and want a few directions on how to easily find it, check out the final paragraph of this review.

It is a boutique hotel in an older building in the Capitol area of DC. On entering the lobby area, you immediately know you are in an establishment where “the customer comes first.” This was true from the bellmen, to the front desk staff, to the cleaning staff. This is usually an indication that this customer-focused mentality starts at the top. (We would learn this to be true.)

My wife and I stayed at The George for a one-night trip to DC where I had an important dinner meeting. The room we stayed in was nicely-appointed. As mentioned in another review, ours overlooked an interior alleyway. In cities like DC, I generally prefer these, as you do not get the “all-night noise” from sirens, motorcycles, etc. (Although my guess is that this part of E Street NW is probably pretty quiet on the street side, as well.) We both got a good night’s sleep.

The rooms, as in all older buildings, are a little smaller than some newer luxury hotels, but ours was very clean and tasteful. The Kimpton guidebook even contained a music CD that I placed in the in-room DVD player and enjoyed while getting ready for my dinner meeting. Our room had a single queen bed, but it also had a pull-down “Murphy bed” on one wall. We did not need to use the extra bed, but I pulled it down to look at it (as I always write reviews of my hotel rooms) and it was “made” with clean linens and ready for use, if needed.

Kimpton hotels offer free internet, which is VERY unusual for DC. (You may have to do a “free sign-up” for their “In-Touch” membership, but this also gets you additional amenities.) One of the funky-chic things we have found in Kimpton hotels are the animal print robes in the closet. The artwork is generally fun to explore around the premises. They have a free wine “happy hour” each evening that we enjoy. Although I was away for a meeting, my wife REALLY enjoyed the one at The George. It is a great way to get to meet some people. They had a gentleman doing free caricature portraits. The people doing the serving at the reception my wife attended were the Senior Managers (and this was a Friday night!) They had arranged with a new local brewery to also do tastings of some new micro-brews, and the hotel General Manager was the person pouring the beer for guests. As the reception came to a close, they even made the rounds for a final refill for the guests. This is service over and above what is to be expected and the entire staff is to be commended.

One other very nice perk at The George was free bicycle loans for guests. We did not have time to use these on this trip, but hope to get the opportunity on a subsequent trip. As we came to check out the following morning, the bellman saw us exiting the elevator and immediately asked if we would need a cab or any other assistance. We were taking the Metro back to DCA airport, so did not need one, but the offer was thoughtful, as he could have been making arrangements so that a cab would be waiting after we checked out.

Overall, it was a very good hotel experience for us. We hope to return.

If you plan to arrive at the George via Metro, when you get to Union Station, head for the “Mass. Avenue” exit (opposite direction from the 1st Street NE Exit.) When you arrive at street level on the escalator, you will be just outside union station. From the top of the escalator turn left 180 degrees and walk in that direction. You will immediately see the oddly shaped glass bicycle rental place, and beyond it, the Postal Museum. Once you get to the street, keep walking the opposite direction from the way you came up the escalator and in a moment you will see the Capitol Dome (looking south.) Once you spot the Capitol, look to your right about 35 degrees and you will see two large glass/mirror buildings, about 8 or 9 stories each. Head directly between them, as that is E Street NW. You will walk past a Senate parking lot, and pass right between a Wells Fargo Bank (on the left) and a Corner Baker (on the right.) As soon as you cross North Capitol Street on E Street you will see the entrance to The George a few hundred feet ahead. We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General Manager, Chris Cannon: WhirldWind, WOW...Sounds like we knocked this one out the park!! Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. I am very pleased to hear that we exceeded your standards and expectations. Please come back to The George for some more chic and comfy fun!

Been to The George? Share your experiences!