“Nice hotel close to Union Station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The George

Save Saved
You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% Off Weekends in 2014
Ranked #9 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Istanbul
“Nice hotel close to Union Station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is very close to Union Station, It's just 4-5 minutes by walking. Hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and location is perfect. Rooms are big enough but they don't have a good view. Bad is very confortable. Only think that i don't like at this hotel was bereakfast. Bistro cafe/restaurant serves breakfast, unfortunately it was expensive and the choices were limited.

• Stayed November 2012
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at The George, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: bangay, thank you for your review. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in November for a conference with my husband. Loved the location and wine hour. Our room had a bad smell when we arrived, but a call to the desk was quickly answered with new room keys brought to us with help with our luggage to move. Liked getting after dinner cocktails at Bistro B. would stay here again, had a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: europetrip07, thank you for the kind review! Ah yes, our wine hour is like no other and we are happy to see that you loved it!! Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Excellent choice for business traveler or tourist. If you have business on Capitol hill hotel is especially convenient. Subway gets you most places you would want to go.Nice, contemporary lobby and modern bar/restaurant. Rooms small but entirely adequate, well appointed, WIFI and free newspapers in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: DLLinDallas, thank you for this wonderful review! We appreciate your business and for choosing the Hotel George! Please visit us again soon!
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in November for 4 nights. We haven't stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but we really liked the hotel and would most likely return.

Check in was easy, one of our rooms wasn't quite ready but we waited in reception for 10 minutes with a glass of wine so we weren't too unhappy!

We had a standard room and it was huge. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was large and clean. As other people have said, there aren't really any nice views from this hotel, we had an office building next to us but I doubt the people there can see in since I couldn't see into their offices. Also we were out most of the day, and there are blinds anyway.

Wine hour was much appreciated after long days sightseeing. Michael, who works on the front desk, was amazing - he was so helpful and knowledgeable. He gave us tips on places to go, how to get to places etc, and was happy to make general conversation with us - even trying to help us to understand the election since we didn't really know a lot about American politics. He's a credit to the hotel

The location is good, a 10 minute walk to the Capitol building, 5 minutes maximum to Union Station, and 10 minutes to 7th Avenue which is full of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Manager at The George, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: sarahjane198, thank you for this wonderful review! Michael is one of the best and top notch service is a priority for all of us! Thank you once again for choosing the Hotel George and we hope to welcome you back very soon!
Mount Vernon, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a great hotel and great location, I walked from Union Station after my trip from New York. The room was wonderful and had everything that you need. This was my first time at a Kimpton Hotel which was recommended by my best friend. Edgardo was my hotel clerk when I checked in and he was so very helpful and gave me perfect service. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here as well as other Kimpton Hotels.

Vcarey, NY

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: msvcarey, thank you for this great review and a shout-out to Mr Edgardo! We hope to welcome you back very soon and provide another perfect stay!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I always make a point to stay at Kimpton properties, and have yet to have a bad experience. Well, once they never actually got around to mailing me my phone charger, but it was my fault for leaving it there... I think you can tell I'm getting nit picky here, searching for something negative to say.

We stayed at the Hotel George on Saturday night, after relocating to DC for my boyfriend's work. We had literally driven across the country (Texas is apparently very far away!), and showed up right after dropping off the Uhaul. We were greeted at the front desk by plenty of friendly staff, all of whom seemed genuinely excited to see some smelly travelers and their very, very large black lab. After checking in, we were sent up to our room with a complimentary bottle of wine (and boy did we need a drink) for us, and a bag of dog treats and a map to a nearby park for the 10 year old puppy.

The room was clean, comfortable and stylish. They even had a dog bed and bowls laid out. No problems with anything at all. We couldn't hear traffic or city noise outside, and there was plenty of hot water in the separate bath and shower in the extra large bathroom. I secretly loved that they had a speaker for the TV in the bathroom, so I could listen to My Big Fat Greek Wedding on cable while I soaked in the tub.

This hotel stay was exactly what we needed, as I've found all Kimpton properties manage to be.

And if you're traveling with a dog, I can't recommend going anywhere that doesn't have a Kimpton location. They are so gracious and welcoming, and I've never felt like I'm a nuisance for bringing my pet. Many places advertise themselves as "pet friendly", but then they have some ridiculous weight limit, charge you an arm and a leg, or make you feel as if you are inconveniencing them. This hasn't happened once with Kimpton. So, keep up the good work!

Oh, and we dined at Bistro Bis next door for brunch the next day. Food was phenomenal, very fast service, and I believe the waiter was actually French!

(Disclaimer: If you're browsing sites, this is the same review I posted on Yelp.com.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: KateriMS, all I can say is WOW!! Thank you for this shining review!! Road trips are always so much fun and I am so happy to see that you had a great experience with us! We are looking forward to your future stay here with us!
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is tucked away around a corner but only a short walk from Union Station, the local Starbucks or the Capitol. The staff is very helpful and the rooms well appointed. I did not get to eat in the restaurant this time but I have had lunch there before and it is excellent. The wine reception in the lobby was a nice touch. One of the two main elevators was under repair but they made the freight elevator available and had a good sense of humor about it - calling the stairs their new fitness program. There are not any great views that I could see due to the position of the building and it is near a fire station, so we could hear some sirens overnight. But these were very minor issues. I'd definitely recommend the place for a nice hotel that is also reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Assistant Front Office Manager, Patrick Donovan: 4ontheroadMD, thank you for this 5 star review!! We are so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay! Thank you once again for sharing your experience and please come by soon!

Been to The George? Share your experiences!