“Great for the busy traveler!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great for the busy traveler!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The George is a great place to stay. I have stayed in many DC hotels and this one ranks very high. I often choose this Kimpton because of its proximity to Union Station which makes it a good place to pop in. If I am lucky, I can squeeze in a martini and some lobster bisque between train layovers. The staff are always top drawer and it is a quiet place to stay. An added bonus is that it is near to the monuments so it makes for a good place to run/walk. Will, of course, come back

Room Tip: E street rooms may be a bit noisier--I will ask for one of the interior rooms. The view is not as ni...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Bradley. The George is very much into wellness so next time you return we have a great jogging map for short or long distances with great views along the way. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at other Klimpton properties (in other cities) that we really liked and given the glowing Tripadvisor reviews we had moderately high expectations for this hotel. I must say I'm mystified by the reviews (which I looked at again after we arrived). The hotel is fairly dated and our room was bordering on shabby, particularly the bathroom - the drain stopper was no longer attached to the tub, the ring that covers the hole where the shower goes into the wall was detached, the paint on the ceiling about the shower was peeling badly and, worst of all, the grout was dirty with noticeable mold in places. Moreover, the location was not where I would choose to be on future visits. While other reviewers have noted that its close to Union Station, unless you need to be in the area for some specific reason, that actually isn't a plus. It's not particularly close to the downtown attractions (by the time you walk to the mall you're not up for walking around the mall itself). Moreover the neighborhood is dismal and uninhabited on the weekend other than by the extraordinary number of homeless people who populate the area. I would never walk alone here at night. Again, I'm not sure really what there is to recommend about this place and I'm now suspicious that the reviews are genuine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: OUCH, Sorry to read that New Jersey, Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We take honest comments like the ones you provided very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good things, but it helps us learn and improve.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We travel quite a bit, for leisure, not business fortunately. We just had a 3 night stay at the Hotel George and we could not have been more pleased. First of all the location is great less than 2 blocks from union station and about 3 blocks to the Capitol. The staff went out of their way to answer any question regarding directions, where to eat and the best way to get around in general. They have a wine reception every night from 5 to 6, well we came back too late and when I inquired about it the person at the front desk got me a glass from the wine they had just put away, very friendly. We made a call about the air conditioning not working properly and a repairman was at our door in less than 5 minutes and the problem was fixed. We ask about a curling iron and it was at our door almost immediately. These may seem like minor things but these are the things that set hotels apart. Trust me we have to other places where these requests might have taken an hour or never.
The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. The beds and pillows were very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms had good shampoos and body wash.
Overall a great stay and a company we will look to do business with again.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton Rewards program which is free and you receive free wifi and $10 worth of honor bar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Sparky. I apologize for the any inconveniences you experienced with the AC unit but glad we fixed it immediately to your satisfaction. Thanks for your business and please stay with us again when your travels bring you back to D.C.
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband & I decided to stay at the Hotel George after reading all of the amazing reviews on this website. Although the hotel was very nice, it didn't match my expections after everything I read. We arrived to DC via train from Union Station, so the 10 minute walk from the station to the hotel was great. The Mall and the Capital are within walking distance from the hotel. Upon arrival, since the hotel is non-smoking, we had to manuveur ourselves through the cloud of cigarette smoke from the guests standing outside smoking. Once inside, the lobby was brightly lit with a very trendy look to it. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor, which had zero view of DC - it was just a view of a brick building next door. I didn't mind not having a view but it would have been nice since staying at the hotel is not cheap. The hotel room was standard, except the bathroom was quite large with a seperate shower and a seperate bath. The bed was king-sized, maybe even a California king-sized. The room had a desk and a chair, and a 3 seater sofa with a pullout bed. I was suprised at how tatty and frayed the sofa was. It was situated perpindicular to the TV so if you wanted to sit & watch TV comfortably, you had to sit on the bed. The water in the shower heated up quickly and the pressure was good, but the plug in the bathtub didn't seal properly so the water drained from the tub very quickly. Also, the lining of the bathtub was chipped. The hotel supplied 3 bath towels, along with face towels and hand towels. The room was quiet as we were all the way down at the end of the hallway, away from the elevators. Wi-Fi was available but you had to enroll in a loyalty program to access it. We didn't dine in the restaurant on site so am unable to comment. The TV had a significant amount of channels so it would be easy to find something to watch.

Overall, the Hotel George was OK, but it didn't amaze me as much as I expected it to. If we do go back to DC, I will probably look around to see what other hotels/offers are available, but I wouldn't say no to staying here again.

Room Tip: Not sure what rooms are available with a view, but ask if it's possible; otherwise, you will be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you TravelO for sharing your recent experience at the George. We have a big goal to provide great guest service while keeping everything sparkly and clean. I’m sorry we fell short of your expectations. Please come back again soon and I promise we won’t fail you twice.
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the George and were awed by their fantastic customer service and lovely rooms. The hotel is just blocks from Union Station making it easy and convenient to get to. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You for your DEVINE review of the George. I hope to welcome you back again personally when you return.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at George. Great service, room, restaurant and amenities. No complaints. Great stay for couples who like walking DC. Always have taxi if need be. Easy walk to Capital. Union station is just a block away. A quieter area than penn station area. Would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Dogswim for taking the time to share your experience. Come back soon.
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We came to the Hotel George to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday and attend a play. He had just returned home from deployment and although we live about 30 minutes away in Maryland we wanted to get away for a night. I called ahead to mention the night was a surprise for his birthday and when we arrived there was a cheese plate, dessert tray, and birthday card waiting for him. He was so surprised and needless to say we had a wonderful time not only at the hotel but the play as well. The staff went above and beyond any of my expectations and I was very pleased with them.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Ballersmom for your feedback. A special thank you to your boyfriend for his service. Come back for your birthday.

Been to The George? Share your experiences!