“Enjoyable Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
upstate NY
“Enjoyable Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed at other Kimpton in properities and they all treat you well. This one is only 2 streets from the Union Station (Amtak or Buses). This is a quiet hotel, no noise in the hallways. The room is huge and the bathroom good size. There was no tub but a large shower stall, which was fine with us. Enjoyed the 5p-6p free wine hour and yes you can get a good size glass and take it up to your room. The view was not great but we are not in our hotel room very muchplus this is Washington DC too many buildings to get views. The staff is ultra friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you gardenialady for the Ultra comment about the team. I share all comments with my team and look forward to posting this one up on our hotel Fridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Hotel George was pretty great. It's close to Union Station and the Capitol and all that which is wonderful. The service I received was top notch. Edgardo Padilla was friendly and made sure to wish me a happy birthday - he even sent up a present and a card! The rooms and hotel itself won't blow you away, but the service and staff will. The fitness center was pretty poor, and I'd recommend taking a run along the National Mall instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for recognizing Edgar and his outstanding performance. I was sorry our fitness center did not meet your expectations. If you can share with me the shortfalls it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your business.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

First of all, I cannot say enough about the staff of this hotel! They are excellent! From the moment we checked in, until after we checked out. Upon arrival our luggage was replaced with glasses of wine. We were greeted as soon as we walked in the door. The staff went out of their way to see we were enjoying ourselves. If you need something they will make sure you have it. I forgot a power cord for one of my electronics, and they had one! Unbelieveable.
The room was very nice, everything was very clean.
The restaurant is wonderful. After dinner out we returned to the bar for desert and drinks, and it was amazing. Wonderful deserts and great drinks, and again the service was impeccable.
The hotel is well within walking distance to all the museums on the Mall, and the US Capitol complex.
We will certainly stay here again and recommend to all our friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you John S for your recognition of my team going above and beyond. I hope to welcome you back very soon
McLean, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Love the Kimpton Hotels, but there is no way this hotel ranked 2nd in the city. Renovation is 10 years old not modern Kimpton I am used to. Common area hallways were not impressive, the rooms were nice and a good value. Staff was very accommodating, nice and friendly. Service overall was very good. I have rated this property as poor primarily because of the bed. The bed was loud and uncomfortable. Pillows were one size and did not fit me. Bedding itself was very nice ie. sheets, duvet and comforter. However because the bed itself was so uncomfortable I did get a good nights sleep. If the Kimpton invested in new beds, I would raise my overall rating to between average and above average.

Thank you to the staff for your friendly accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask about the bed!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Travel Diva for your feedback. I was happy to read that you thought my staff was very friendly and accommodating. My apologies the bed was not up to your expectations and that you did not sleep well during your visit. We actually pride ourselves on our beds style and comfort and hear often from other guest’s how comfortable our beds are. I will personally look into the room and see if there were any issues with the mattress. Please come back and give us another opportunity if your travels bring you back to D.C
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here feb 19-20. I booked on line because of the trip advisor ranking, location and price (160 with taxes). While the hotel is indeed well located, clean and overall ok, I have no idea how it could make it nb 2 in the all of the DC hotels.
Rooms and everything ok but a few things that I would consider as not acceptable:
- expired cereal bar in the mini bar
- breakfast is served in a box i.e. you get a paper box with an apple, beagle, cream cheese and a chemical juice for breakfast. You have to make your own coffee... In the bathroom of your room... Yes you read well, in the bathroom....
- after taking a shower and puting on the bathrobe generously provided, I found 2 empty Bacardi bottles from the minibar in the pocket of the robe... And no I did not drink them myself. When going out for dinner, I passed by the reception to give them the bottles and complain. I asked them to please bring me a clean bathrobe to the room. Until today, I.e. 24h later, I still have the same bathrobe hanging in our room....

So, I guess you get it while I wouldn't t rate this hotel anything more than average.

• Stayed February 2012
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains me to hear the not so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Had a great stay at Hotel George. Not our first stay at a Kimpton Hotel, they really know how to motivate their staff members to give great experience!
Flew in to Baltimore and took the train to DC. The George is a short approx 5 minute walk from the station. Great location to get to the Capitol and to all the museums, etc. Downside is that at night it is very quiet. Not far from the great restaurants, just a short cab ride, but not easy walking distance, either.
Upside is the welcoming, cozy atmosphere inside the hotel itself.
Just two small pet peeves. I love to have coffee in my room...right away. The one cup coffee maker in the room is lame. Upside of the hotel is that really excellent coffee is available at Bistro Bis downstairs (at almost $4). Was not happy to have to have to wait until we were ready to make our way downstairs, still, they serve just really great quality coffee. Don't bother with the Starbucks around the corner...too crowded and noisy.
Second is the complimentary happy hour. There is a wonderful wine steward at the Bistro Bis...have him select some inexpensive but tasty wines to serve. Your happy is only one hour long, so it would not cost too much extra to serve something worthwhile...
On to Bistro Bis. What a gem! Had a lunch there that was amazing. Our waiter was extra attentive and friendly. The food was exceptional. We usually pass on dessert, but could not resist the assortment of petit fours/ cookies. Works of art and soooo delicious. We had breakfast there twice; the waiter greeted us by name by the second time. Makes you feel really special when you get that extra attention to detail. Had cocktails in the bar one night, too. Very elegant. Even if we stay at another hotel next time, we will be sure to get to Bistro Bis!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Travelinda for your great comments and appreciation of our great team. I look forward to having you back soon
Houma, La.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Our stay at the Hotel George was exceptional! The staff, room, restaurant and meeting room were all comfortable and high quality! Very near Union Station, the Capitol and Senate Offices!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thanks MikeV for your feedback. We are thrilled you chose the George and had a great experience. I will share your great comments with my team

Been to The George? Share your experiences!