“Attentive staff, Safe area, well located and perfectly appointed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Attentive staff, Safe area, well located and perfectly appointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

My two young sons and I began our Thanksgiving holiday in DC. Being our first time together in DC we wanted a convenient and safe location-and we found it! We rode the Metro directly from Reagan and walked two blocks to the hotel-easy! We did not like a sound in the first room and were immediately shown a second room-great friendly staff! The rooms are generously sized with good amenities. Kid sized robes really were a hit, and the bathroom was gorgeous! Comfy beds with soft double sheeting and fluffy pillows.
We were able to walk to the Capitol and all the sites on the Mall easily. A quick jump on the Metro and we made it to all the farther placed tourist spots. The in house restaurant was superb and our locale made dinner outings easy! Union Station has great breakfast grabs on your way to your sites, and fun dinners.....the best part was the boys looking forward to hot chocolate in the lobby when we returned. They would start talking about it as soon as we would start back to the hotel. This hotel does everything it can to make it feel like home away from home. We would gladly return for another stay! Thank you!

Room Tip: Avoid the lower floors on the West side-the mechanical noise from the building next door comes throu...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: We love to hear guests say “it felt like home” in our hotel. I was very happy to read your children enjoyed the complimentary Hot Chocolate. I have 4 children myself and they love their hot chocolate. Come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Enjoyed our three night stay. The Hotel George has newspapers in the lobby, coffee maker in the room, and good service. The wine hour is great but is missing on the weekends, which is the only sad spot in our entire stay. Very convenient location to the Mall and to Union station. Will stay there again, but please, give us wine on the weekends!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear you missed our wine hour. We do offer it 7 days a week. When you return please let me make it up to you.
Smithfield, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

A group of us rode Amtrak to Washington last weekend to attend the Army/Navy game. We stayed at The Hotel George on the recommendation of one of the guys in the group. Good choice! The hotel is only 1 1/2 blocks from Central Station - easy walk even with roll bag luggage. Check in was quick and simple. Rooms were really first class. Very comfortable bedding, ultra clean bathroom, mini fridge, safe, the works. There is a great little restaurant
and bar. Happy hour was being served in the lobby complimentary to guests. Doormen arranged for mini-van taxi serve to get us to and from FedEx Sadium for the game. All in all, a very, very nice property and experience! I will, for sure,l stay here again if I am in this area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Really comfortable room, great bed, outstanding staff. Wine reception was an added bonus. Excellent value for just enough luxury...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Philly and thank you for “Just the right” review. Have a safe and Happy Holiday and I hope to welcome you back soon.
Martinsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

My two (large) dogs and I stayed at the Hotel George for three days - the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and treated the dogs like stars without any of the hesitancy about having them onsite that is common at some "pet friendly" hotels.

When we arrived there were gourmet dog treats and dog bowls waiting, and when I asked for a third bowl it was delivered within minutes. The gentleman who helped with my bags sent someone (without my asking) to replace a lightbulb, and the maintenance man who appeared fifteen minutes later was completely comfortable with being supervised by the dogs.

I somehow ended up with a handicapped accessible room - I think the bathroom was larger than my dining room, and there was more than enough room for all of us to spread out. The hotel is extremely clean, the beds are comfortable, and the usual amenities are all present. My only quibble is that the wifi, which is free for InTouch members, kept cutting out, meaning that I had to resort to using the wired internet for the duration of the stay.

When I ordered room service the second night of my stay I requested a slice of bread, as my elderly dog was not eating. They sent up half a loaf's worth, which was a small gesture that said a lot about the staff's concern for providing excellent service.

The hotel is located within sight of Union Station and an easy walk from the Smithsonian, the Capitol, and the assorted monuments and attractions that most people come to see. I am in DC regularly to see friends and attend concerts, etc, and I will definitely be back at the George.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you PackardGirl for taking the time to recognize our team for going the extra mile to make your stay memorable. I hope you Have a great Holiday Season and come back soon.
Brick NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We were going to the "Annual Wreaths Across America" decoration at Arlington Cemetery in DC, and thought it made sense to stay overnight. Arriving very early Sat morning---the Wreath Ceremony was over by noon time; and we tried to check in early (reg check in is 3 pm)---we were accommodated by the pleasant reception staff. (TIP: ask for an upstairs room, away from the very noisy construction site next door.) Although it must be much much noisier on a weekday morning---you are literally next door to a complete ten-story or better "gutting and reconstruction". Be advised the Staff was solicitous and attentive---and the Hotel had nothing to do with the construction---yet, it is an issue. Price was cheap $75/nt on Priceline, room was nice with a large bathroom (strangely, a separate shower and bathtub, not a combo)---yet I was reminded of Jack Bauer and "24" looking out any window into the gutted floors next door of the building construction. "Chloe text me the floor plans---a terrorist cell has occupied the 9th floor!!!" All in all, very nice for the price...but 4th best in the city? A recount might be necessary until construction is over.....close to Union Station and Capitol.

Room Tip: CONSTRUCTION NEXT DOOR!! Once you get used to that---get an upstairs room---away from the next-door...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with my team and your stay at the George. I appreciate your business. The new Law firm being built next to the George is almost completely enclosed with windows and the loud noise and gutting you did not experience, but mentioned, is in the past. Agree the building is not yet a vision of beauty but I hope you come back soon to write a happy ending to your Jack Bauer Scenario, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Just spent 4 night at the Hotel George. The room and service were at the usual high standard levels. The front desk staff, bellmen, and housekeeping staff are true professionals. Great breakfast in the Bistro and excellent in-room dining.

Great location for nearby dining and shopping!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The George? Share your experiences!