“Just great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Valet Parking
Ranked #11 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Paul, MN
“Just great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Stayed here for a week-long vacation and had a wonderful time. Other than the construction in the building next door, did not see any issues with the overall maintenance of the property. Staff was courteous and helpful - so the reviews otherwise are a bit of a surprise. The restaurant is terrific and worth visiting, which is not always the case for hotels. But it was also nice to be one block away from Union Station so lower-priced dining options were also available.

I would stay here for either personal or business, and I can't always say that about every place.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not facing the street
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011 via mobile

My husband and 14 yo step-daughter stayed here for four nights. The location of the hotel is perfect (one block from Union Station) for touring the city. Our room was spacious enough for three people, front desk service is very friendly, and the hotel has a very hip feel to it. My step-daughter loved the animal print robes. We opted for breakfast at the West Wing Cafe, around the corner on New Jersey Ave. Plenty of good restaurants within 10 minutes walk. Be careful leaving the hotel and walking downtown because the neighborhood makes an abrupt change after a few blocks. It's a short section that looks bad, but it might be best to avoid it at night.

• Stayed October 2011
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I stayed at THe George with my 95 year old father in a wheelchair. Originally they had us separated by a room or two. When my father was found using the wrong elevator, ending up in the basement, they contacted me, and made arrangements for me to be in a room with an adjoining door. This made all the difference to our stay. In addition, they were very helpful in arranging taxis & tours. The food in the restaurant was excellent, and the beds are extremely comfortable! In addition, the hotel is very quiet; 200 yards from Union Station & maybe 3 blocks from the Capitol. All in all, it is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Let me start by saying, I RARELY write reviews... good or bad... just don't have time. However, I must say that this hotel was not only the BEST hotel I've stayed in in DC, but the best hotel in a long time anywhere!

They go way beyond expectations with customer service and friendliness! I forgot my phone charger and they found one I could use. I forgot my sound machine and the found a fan that I could use... They have complimentary wine in the lobby and the staff makes great conversation while you unwind....

Any question I had about food or activities they would answer... even going as far as using Google to make sure of menu's etc.

The room are beautiful. I will personally seek out a Kimpton hotel every time I travel. If there is one, that is where I will stay.

I just can't say enough about the friendly staff that really go the extra mile to make sure you are happy.

: ) Penny L.

Room Tip: Rooms are GREAT
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My main reason for booking this hotel was because I was planning to travel with my pet (a minuature poodle). Unlike many hotels in the city, The George did not charge extra for pets to stay. My husband and I were planning to do sightseeing for the weekend, so I also picked the hotel based on location (just two blocks from the capitol, one block from Union Station, and within walking distance - it's an easy flat walk - to the historical sights). We had a basic room with a king bed. The room was great - clean, big flat screen tv, marble bathroom tiles/shower, and a comfortable bed. There is a fully stocked honor bar - prices are not listed - and we did not eat or drink anything. Room service is available, but it is pricey. We did not eat at the restaruant, but it appeared to be very nice and had an upscale menu. The staff at the hotel were wonderful. The bellhop was helpful in saving us some money on parking. Speaking of parking, the hotel will want to charge you $40 for valet. Across the street there is a self-park garage which is $35. However, on weekends during the day, parking at a government lot at the end of the block is free until 9 p.m. After that, you can move your car to streets, since parking is free after 5 p.m. All street parking is free on holidays as well (we were there over Labor Day). It does require more moving of your car, but we were able to park for free the entire weekend. The hotel was very pet-friendly. Despite staying in a "pet" room, our room did not smell or have any spots or signs of previous pets. My poodle felt right at home and so did I.
Compared to other hotels in the city, I found this hotel to be very reasonably priced and I was impressed with the hotel for the amount that I paid. There isn't a pool, which is the only thing a few other hotels in the area had that this one did not. But we didn't miss it, since we were busy exploring the city. The fitness room is very nice. It is open 24 hours and each cardio machine has it's own TV. The hotel is also at a decent location in the city - I ran around the immediate area each morning and did not feel unsafe or threatened.
If you are visiting Washington D.C., I highly recommend this hotel, expecially if you are brining a pet!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

After an overnight flight into Baltimore from Seattle, we were skeptical whether or not the hotel would let us do an early check in ... so I called up the front desk at hotel george with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised to hear that they could arrange for a room for us .. The service was excellent ... There was some construction going on around the hotel premises but the proximity to union station (which has a metro stop) was by far the best part ... The room itself was clean and the bathroom was spacious .. Except for the hotel lobby, other areas of the hotel are a bit dated and worn out .. This is branded as a boutique hotel but it was not necessarily high end .. make sure you sign up for kimpton intouch membership program so that you can avail of the free wifi in the room ... Overall, our stay was very comfortable and though we spent most of the time outside of the hotel premises, it was helps to retire for the night to a hotel that cares ... george fits that bill perfectly !!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Public Relations Manager at The George, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business. I appreciate your recognition of our great location and excellent service. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to D.C. and the George so I may welcome you back personally
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed here in September, 2011. Room was great and bathrooms very clean. Staff was great with helping us with travel plans for site seeing and was always trying to make sure our stay was great in DC. Loved the great wine tasting every night in the lobby. Favorite hotel to stay in Washington DC.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Louis C for taking the time to share your great experience at the George. I appreciate your recognition of our cleanliness and attention to detail. It was great meeting you at our hosted wine hour and I hope to see you back at the George in the near future.

Been to The George? Share your experiences!