“Best Hotel Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

Save Saved
You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1!
Ranked #10 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Hotel Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Let me start by saying, I RARELY write reviews... good or bad... just don't have time. However, I must say that this hotel was not only the BEST hotel I've stayed in in DC, but the best hotel in a long time anywhere!

They go way beyond expectations with customer service and friendliness! I forgot my phone charger and they found one I could use. I forgot my sound machine and the found a fan that I could use... They have complimentary wine in the lobby and the staff makes great conversation while you unwind....

Any question I had about food or activities they would answer... even going as far as using Google to make sure of menu's etc.

The room are beautiful. I will personally seek out a Kimpton hotel every time I travel. If there is one, that is where I will stay.

I just can't say enough about the friendly staff that really go the extra mile to make sure you are happy.

: ) Penny L.

Room Tip: Rooms are GREAT
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

1,363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My main reason for booking this hotel was because I was planning to travel with my pet (a minuature poodle). Unlike many hotels in the city, The George did not charge extra for pets to stay. My husband and I were planning to do sightseeing for the weekend, so I also picked the hotel based on location (just two blocks from the capitol, one block from Union Station, and within walking distance - it's an easy flat walk - to the historical sights). We had a basic room with a king bed. The room was great - clean, big flat screen tv, marble bathroom tiles/shower, and a comfortable bed. There is a fully stocked honor bar - prices are not listed - and we did not eat or drink anything. Room service is available, but it is pricey. We did not eat at the restaruant, but it appeared to be very nice and had an upscale menu. The staff at the hotel were wonderful. The bellhop was helpful in saving us some money on parking. Speaking of parking, the hotel will want to charge you $40 for valet. Across the street there is a self-park garage which is $35. However, on weekends during the day, parking at a government lot at the end of the block is free until 9 p.m. After that, you can move your car to streets, since parking is free after 5 p.m. All street parking is free on holidays as well (we were there over Labor Day). It does require more moving of your car, but we were able to park for free the entire weekend. The hotel was very pet-friendly. Despite staying in a "pet" room, our room did not smell or have any spots or signs of previous pets. My poodle felt right at home and so did I.
Compared to other hotels in the city, I found this hotel to be very reasonably priced and I was impressed with the hotel for the amount that I paid. There isn't a pool, which is the only thing a few other hotels in the area had that this one did not. But we didn't miss it, since we were busy exploring the city. The fitness room is very nice. It is open 24 hours and each cardio machine has it's own TV. The hotel is also at a decent location in the city - I ran around the immediate area each morning and did not feel unsafe or threatened.
If you are visiting Washington D.C., I highly recommend this hotel, expecially if you are brining a pet!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

After an overnight flight into Baltimore from Seattle, we were skeptical whether or not the hotel would let us do an early check in ... so I called up the front desk at hotel george with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised to hear that they could arrange for a room for us .. The service was excellent ... There was some construction going on around the hotel premises but the proximity to union station (which has a metro stop) was by far the best part ... The room itself was clean and the bathroom was spacious .. Except for the hotel lobby, other areas of the hotel are a bit dated and worn out .. This is branded as a boutique hotel but it was not necessarily high end .. make sure you sign up for kimpton intouch membership program so that you can avail of the free wifi in the room ... Overall, our stay was very comfortable and though we spent most of the time outside of the hotel premises, it was helps to retire for the night to a hotel that cares ... george fits that bill perfectly !!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, Public Relations Manager at The George, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business. I appreciate your recognition of our great location and excellent service. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to D.C. and the George so I may welcome you back personally
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed here in September, 2011. Room was great and bathrooms very clean. Staff was great with helping us with travel plans for site seeing and was always trying to make sure our stay was great in DC. Loved the great wine tasting every night in the lobby. Favorite hotel to stay in Washington DC.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The George, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Louis C for taking the time to share your great experience at the George. I appreciate your recognition of our cleanliness and attention to detail. It was great meeting you at our hosted wine hour and I hope to see you back at the George in the near future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The nice part about the Kimpton Hotel chain is that it's very pet friendly (food and water bowl at the entrance is a cool touch). Service at the hotel was friendly and helpful, the rooms were fairly spacious, comfortable and had a good range of in-room amenities. The location is great because it's only a 3-minute walk from the main train station and about 10 minutes to ChinaTown and other major shopping outlets. My only gripe is that there are a lot of homeless/shifty people around this area so you feel a bit uneasy when walking through the area at night. But for the price we paid ($160 per night) and the inclusion of breakfast, this was good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Gerry from Down under. Our location is perfect for anyone that wants to be close to all of the D.C. major attractions with convenience to all of the major subways and Union Station just one block away. Hope to welcome you back soon
san Francisco, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

If the Hotel George were an actress, people would say she is "well preserved." You can see her age, the carpets are worn and the fixtures are a little bit dated. But it's clean, the service is great, and the price and location, at least for us, were excellent.

A block away is one of the stations for the Capital Bikeshare program, which is a really great way to get around to the Mall and museums... the main problem we had was finding an empty spot at the other stations on the Mall to park them. This is a big problem!

Bistro Bis in the hotel --we had breakfast there and it was $40. I had french toast, which was literally the lightest french toast I've ever had. How do they do that? My husband had a ham and cheese omelet. We had coffee and tea. That's it. $40. It doesn't help that DC taxes are 10%, but it's a pricey joint. There aren't a lot of options unless you go over to Union Station or up to the Chinatown area (about a 15 minute walk). We did walk to Jaleo, a Jose Andres restaurant, and it was also pricey but really delicious.

I had trouble with the wifi at the hotel --it wouldn't let me register, so the front desk gave me a cheater login, and then it wouldn't load some key pages, like Yahoo mail. It worked on my husband's ipad but for 4 days it would never work on my apple laptop that i use every day. So, weirdness.

We had the noise that's common for hotels, especially older ones. You could hear the doors of other rooms slamming, because they are so heavy, and you could hear people talking in the hall, the vacuum running upstairs. Housekeeping came relatively early (around 9 am) so definitely put up your do not disturb sign if you want to sleep in.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay. It wasn't super luxe, but we don't need that.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed here in September, 2011. Room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Staff was super nice. It rained all 3 days we were there and I never left the hotel without someone, either the bellboy or a front desk person making sure I had an umbrella.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to The George? Share your experiences!