“A Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

Save Saved
You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1!
Ranked #10 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
McLean, Virginia
“A Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend at Hotel George on Capitol Hill. It was a terrific experience! The hotel is relatively small with a very warm and intimate feeling inside. It's a great location, within blocks of The Capitol, near the subway, a short walk to The Mall (and a half block from Starbucks :-) The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The French restaurant "Bistro bis" is outstanding...rivals the best in Paris or La Côte d'Azur. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had a room on the back and it was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

1,382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here late August, 2011. No complaints. We checked in very late on a Thursday night and had no problems. We had great customer service. The room was spacious, comfortable. Bathroom shower has built-in shampoo, conditioner and soap dispenser. The bar has great drinks if you need a nightcap.

• Stayed August 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Hotel George on two different trips. The hotel has a great location just a couple of blocks from Union Station, which has a Metro stop. The Metro is one the easiest and cheapest ways to get around DC. The hotel is also a short walk to The Mall. I love to get up early and take a walk around the monuments and museums. There is always ice water waiting for you in the lobby and there is a wine reception in the evenings. The standard king room is very nice sized, probably average for a hotel in a big city. The room is modern and comfortable with white linens and sleek wood. The bathroom is nice, with great products and a full sized hairdryer (love that I don't ahve to pack mine!) I've never had a bad night's sleep at Hotel George.
I would suggest joining the Kimpton rewards program. I think it offers free wi-fi and a credit at you room's mini-bar. I now look for Kimpton hotels whenever we travel. Last year we stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria, VA and it was wonderful as well.
I'm looking to stay at one of their NYC hotels this winter, and I'm hoping that the Kimpton hotels NYC live up to the DC area ones.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel and was very happy with our stay. Room was clean and spacious as was the lobby. It is a great location to the Capitol and Union Station. Would stay here again. Join their rewards program for free Internet and $10 for the mini bar in your room.

• Stayed September 2011
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Have no problems recommending this hotel. Large room - more than enough space for two adults and two teenage daughters. Quite expensive though. Boutique hotel chique, but down two earth polite and friendly from the staff.
Booked this hotel also for the convenient location, close to Grand Central, wherefrom we caught a train to New York on a Monday morning. Also an excellent base for exploring the capital.

Decent restaurant connected two the reception area and a Starbucks a block away.

Bit pricey. But sometimes you get what you pay for.

A homeless shelter - or something like that - down the road might deter somone from walking this way after dark.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Richland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I love staying at the Hotel George. The bathrooms are spacious with plenty of counterspace for your accoutrements. The staff are superbly friendly and the wine tasting is always a nice relaxing event. I *love* the robes and look forward to putting one on as soon as I arrive. The wifi works great and I can really get a lot done. It's conveniently located and when the weather is good I can walk to all my meetings, or to Union Station. Whenever I'm in DC, I try to stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed for a night over the recent Labor day weekend. I was on the fence when deciding what to rate this hotel – whether it be 3, 3.5, 4 stars. I decided to give this hotel 4 stars because it was a great value and their friendly, and accommodating staff We had paid extra for a wine reception which unbeknownst to us is only available on weekdays. When this was brought up to the staff, they very willingly gave us each a glass of wine to compensate. The staff was also very helpful when suggesting restaurants to eat; offering a broad list of local and “touristy” restaurants - including calling to help make reservations. I appreciated the professionalism and nice gestures when dealing with the staff.

Now, I don’t believe there is anything necessarily bad with the hotel or the rooms. It was more along the lines of nothing particularly stood out about the hotel or room. It was a fairly standard room albeit it was a good size and had a comfortable bed. The décor seemed a bit dated. The room was clean except for a weird stain on the ottoman. However, I can look past that as everything else was clean. What I liked most about the room was the shower! Great water pressure. In this respect, I must say it was one of the better hotel showers I have been in.

I would consider the area in which the hotel is in to be semi-convenient. You are literally a 5 minute walk from Union Station (the main bus/train terminal) which is a definite plus. While relatively close to Capitol Hill (about 3-5 long blocks, think NY avenues,) it is a longer walk to the Smithsonian Museums. It was about a 15-20 minute walk to the Air and Space Museum. While we like walking, we just wanted to give other readers a heads up who may have read that the hotel is very close to other attractions. There aren’t many restaurants/stores near the hotel therefore the street can get pretty quiet at night. This may be a good or bad thing, but I tend to like to explore and go out at night and wished there was a little more nightlife around us.

Overall, this was an average hotel with the staff really pulling its weight. Also, for the price I was able to pay for this hotel ($100/night), I realized I really can’t complain as long as the facilities were clean. If you are a low maintenance kind of traveler or budget conscious, I would recommend this hotel. However if you’re looking to splurge and/or celebrate a special occasion, I’d recommend a different hotel.

P.S. Here are some random notes: This is a pet friendly hotel. There is a liquor store at the end of the block. Very good bloody marys at the Art and Soul Restaurant at the Liasion hotel which is around the corner. It is around a $10-12 cab ride from the National Mall (too tired to walk back after a day of museums.) You can rent bikes from several public stations for a day. Seemed like a cool idea but didn’t have enough time. Search for “Capital Bikeshare”

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The George? Share your experiences!