“All the comforts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George

Save Saved
You added The George to your Saves list
The George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 E Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% Off Weekends in 2014
Ranked #10 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richland, Washington
“All the comforts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I love staying at the Hotel George. The bathrooms are spacious with plenty of counterspace for your accoutrements. The staff are superbly friendly and the wine tasting is always a nice relaxing event. I *love* the robes and look forward to putting one on as soon as I arrive. The wifi works great and I can really get a lot done. It's conveniently located and when the weather is good I can walk to all my meetings, or to Union Station. Whenever I'm in DC, I try to stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

1,354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed for a night over the recent Labor day weekend. I was on the fence when deciding what to rate this hotel – whether it be 3, 3.5, 4 stars. I decided to give this hotel 4 stars because it was a great value and their friendly, and accommodating staff We had paid extra for a wine reception which unbeknownst to us is only available on weekdays. When this was brought up to the staff, they very willingly gave us each a glass of wine to compensate. The staff was also very helpful when suggesting restaurants to eat; offering a broad list of local and “touristy” restaurants - including calling to help make reservations. I appreciated the professionalism and nice gestures when dealing with the staff.

Now, I don’t believe there is anything necessarily bad with the hotel or the rooms. It was more along the lines of nothing particularly stood out about the hotel or room. It was a fairly standard room albeit it was a good size and had a comfortable bed. The décor seemed a bit dated. The room was clean except for a weird stain on the ottoman. However, I can look past that as everything else was clean. What I liked most about the room was the shower! Great water pressure. In this respect, I must say it was one of the better hotel showers I have been in.

I would consider the area in which the hotel is in to be semi-convenient. You are literally a 5 minute walk from Union Station (the main bus/train terminal) which is a definite plus. While relatively close to Capitol Hill (about 3-5 long blocks, think NY avenues,) it is a longer walk to the Smithsonian Museums. It was about a 15-20 minute walk to the Air and Space Museum. While we like walking, we just wanted to give other readers a heads up who may have read that the hotel is very close to other attractions. There aren’t many restaurants/stores near the hotel therefore the street can get pretty quiet at night. This may be a good or bad thing, but I tend to like to explore and go out at night and wished there was a little more nightlife around us.

Overall, this was an average hotel with the staff really pulling its weight. Also, for the price I was able to pay for this hotel ($100/night), I realized I really can’t complain as long as the facilities were clean. If you are a low maintenance kind of traveler or budget conscious, I would recommend this hotel. However if you’re looking to splurge and/or celebrate a special occasion, I’d recommend a different hotel.

P.S. Here are some random notes: This is a pet friendly hotel. There is a liquor store at the end of the block. Very good bloody marys at the Art and Soul Restaurant at the Liasion hotel which is around the corner. It is around a $10-12 cab ride from the National Mall (too tired to walk back after a day of museums.) You can rent bikes from several public stations for a day. Seemed like a cool idea but didn’t have enough time. Search for “Capital Bikeshare”

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The staff at The George Hotel were spectacular. All of them went out of their way to be courteous, friendly, and helpful with restaurant recommendations, etc. The rooms are modern, moderate in size, and have great beds. All of the Kimptons are very pet friendly
If you are arriving by train at Union Station, this is a great place to stay within 5 minutes walking distance. The Capitol, Library of Congress, and the Mall are all within easy walking distance, the nearest metro station is at Union Station, and a stop on the loop bus line is only a couple of blocks away.
Breakfast at the Bis Restaurant was very tasty and reasonably priced considering the Washington DC location and prices in general.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Petersburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We go to DC alot by train. If you need a hotel close to the train station, this is the place. A short walk, nice staff, great place to stay and they make you feel so welcome.

Room Tip: We didn't care what room, but I do like close to the elevator and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at the George for three nights and were disappointed by the customer service and overall quality of the hotel.

I would rate it as a tired three star hotel which needs some investment to bring it anywhere near the price we paid. The reception staff needed further training with the exception of the individual who checked us in who said he looked for a nice room for us to stay in as we were on holiday. However, when we check out they overcharged us even though they had confirmed the correct price when we checked in. They challenged us rather than apologised when we tried to correct the bill. Once we had proved the price we had paid as we had our booking confirmation printed out, they then changed it.

Concierge were also poor, we had to carry our suitcases up to the room and upon departure they could not even take them to the taxi we had to flag down. We asked for restaurant recommendations and were given a print out of restaurants with a choice of three for each type of restaurant.

The room carpet was minging and although the room was big, could have benefited from being updated.

The one good thing was the bar in the hotel where we had a drink one evening.

Overall the George was not good value for money and should we return to Washington we would definitely look to stay in a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

The Hotel George is a thoroughly renovated older hotel, with a great location next to Union Station and the US Capitol. Rooms were reasonable size, well furnished and clean. Comfortable bed, large flat screen TV, adequate desk, coffee maker, honor bar. Bathroom with shower but no tub. Funky tiger striped bathrobes. Staff were cordial and service oriented. Accommodated request for early check in. Even offered towels to dripping wet guests coming in out of the rain. On premises restaurant served decent food at slightly inflated prices. The large construction project next door is a significant drawback, with much noise during the day and some noise (compressor running) at night.

Suggestion: On check in, I asked for a room away from construction. Colleagues on the other side of the hotel complained of noise all night. My room was quiet, but had a dreary view of adjacent windows (see picture) so it was blinds down. Bring ear plugs and noise cancelling ear phones just in case a quiet room is not available.

Suggestion: Only one electrical outlet at the desk. Bring an extension cord with multiple outlets.

Suggestion: Join the frequent stay program for free internet access and a 10 buck freebie with honor bar.

Suggestion: Use the Metro to get around. Union Station is a block away. Or if you need to get around in the E street corridor to the west, just hop on the H3 or H6 bus. Easier to use with the Metro RFID card instead of cash. Significant discount as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel George for one night. The room was clean and well decorated. It was not as spacious as other Kimpton hotel rooms we have stayed in, but fine for a night. We ordered room service once: the portions were small and the price on the high side, but the quality was nice and service was prompt. The service throughout the hotel was great- the staff seemed very friendly and happy to help. The location was convenient- it was within walking distance to the museums and close to Union Station. I would stay again for a short visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The George? Share your experiences!