“A great place to stay!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added William Penn House to your Saves list
William Penn House
515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC, DC Washington, DC (Capitol Hill)   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“A great place to stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I was in town for two days on business and I brought my 13 year old daughter along. We chose to stay at WPH after reading the reviews of fellow travelers and we were not disappointed at all. The accommodations were clean, the staff was friendly, the location was excellent, and the experience was unique! Thank you, WPH.

Room Tip: Any room with other travelers.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Maryville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

First experience of staying in a hostel and wasn't disappointed. Breakfast was self serve cereals, toast hot coffee/tea, beds were comfortable and shower was hot.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

The William Penn House is a quiet but friendly hostel with reasonable prices, clean accommodations, and the best location for all the Federal sights.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Walla Walla, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

A fellow Quaker told me about this hostel. Like others reviewers I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The location is a big plus. It's a 20 minute walk from Union Station and it's located about 6 blocks east of the Capitol Building, easy walking distance to the National Mall. I was able to always find at least one of the three bathrooms open.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed here on a one-night layover after a trans-Atlantic flight in a four-bed women's dorm. As the other reviewers said, the staff here are wonderful, the value is great and the location is second to none. I slept well in my bunk bed; my roommates were quiet and courteous. I even got up early enough to attend their 7:30 am Quaker worship service, at which you simply sit in silence and meditate - a tradition I appreciated. The breakfast was simple: bread (with a toaster), jams and peanut butter, a few cereals, a mixed fruit bowl, packets of Quaker (appropriately enough) instant oatmeal, coffee and tea. It was plenty for me. Clean linens and a towel and washcloth are provided, and the rooms are air-conditioned. The house is beautiful, too, and even has a library.

My main problem was that my four-bed dorm shared just one tiny bathroom (toilet and shower) with a neighboring eight-bed dorm. Fortunately, I was extremely jet-lagged and was able to take my shower at an odd hour in the early morning; I don't see how this system normally works, especially when the rooms are full. Of greater concern to me was the fact that the bathroom was, unlike the rest of the house, not at all clean, which is inevitable when so many people are using it.

The limited check-in time (9pm, though they do offer to keep the office open later for a fee) and the limited breakfast time (8-9 am only) may make this place inconvenient for some travelers, and the lack of lockers may make some uncomfortable, though it felt perfectly safe to me. If you're looking for inexpensive hostel-style accommodations in DC and need a later check-in/earlier breakfast/lockers/etc., I would suggest checking out the Hostelling International hostel, where I have also stayed and which I also highly recommend for travelers of all ages.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I was a solo female traveler and I had a great time at William Penn House. The staff is very friendly, the building is clean, the beds are confortable. Only one bathroom for 10 girls, but I took a shower at night so I didn't have to wait in the morning. They offer fresh towels and linens. I could tell it was fresh out of the dry cleaner. A+

They serve a great free breakfast of oatmeal, toast, PB&J, cereals, orange juice and milk. There's also free coffee and tea. There's a fridge, shelves for your food. There's also a microwave. Very clean and big tables for breakfast. The free breakfast really cut on my expenses and since most of DC attractions are free (musuems, Capitol, Pentagon, etc), I spent about $20 a day during my stay!

The hostel is at a 10 minute walk from Capitol South metro station. I wish it was a bit closer since we do a lot of walking in DC, but it was still fine. Since it's near a metro station, you can easily go anywhere in the city for a very low cost (daily metro passes are $8, weekly passes are about $22).

They don't have lockers in the room, but I really felt safe leaving my luggages there. You can lock with zip lockers if you wish. But I felt really safe and didn't feel I needed to.

I recommended this hostel for any type of travellers, solo, family, groups, couple. I saw all kind of people in this great house. Thank you William Penn House and staff!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

The William Penn House staff is incredibly helpful. They kept the office open until late at night to check me to accommodate the weird scheduling of flights between San Francisco and DC during the week prior to the Inauguration. On the night of the Obama for America Staff Ball, they called and held a taxi to the DC Armory for me. That same night they once again kept the office open late to accommodate my check-out and helped me make all my arrangements for late night travel to Dulles. You cannot ask for a more courteous and accommodating staff.

On top of having such a wonderful staff, WPH enjoys an insanely desirable location. The house is literally located five blocks south of the Capitol building, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, Senate offices, and Washington Mall. Either direction out of the door is about a five minute walk to a DC Metro station. If you are a single person visiting the city for a political purpose and don't mind hostel accommodations, there really isn't a better place to stay than this place.

Finally, the value just boggles the mind. My free housing from Travel for Change fell through at the last minute and I booked this place literally the day before I had to leave for DC. Most other places were just gouging the crowds flooding into the city for the inauguration of our first black president. Accommodations at the William Penn House remained $40 a night. $40 a night for a killer location, helpful staff, and a decent room during the busiest week in the history of the city. I give this place my highest recommendation.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Been to William Penn House? Share your experiences!