“Great place for a longer stay” 4 of 5 stars

Loftstel / Washington
4115 8th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20011   |
Ranked #126 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for a longer stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I lived here for three months in 2009. I had a blast. I made (I hope) lifelong friends, and everyone here is interesting - it's full of travellers, interns, students, you name it. The staff really helped me out the best they could, and the room was the best of the three DC hostels I've stayed in. Great value and not nearly as bad a location as people make out, though Petworth isn't exactly Capitol Hill. Highly recommend based on my personal experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

The hostel is located near the subway station, so it's easy to go
everywhere in DC. Also, the rooms are clean and cozy.
However, the problem is the insincere attitude of the manager
toward those who stay there. Very bad. Very,very bad.....
I recommend you to choose another hostel or hotel even if
it costs you a little more.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

the place was clean the beds cosy enough alright. it was cheap too.
the location did not make us comfortable though. i was travelling with 13 other friends, so there were 4 of us, yet we did not feel safe at all in that neighbourhood. it was kinda a long walk to the metro station, there were no amenities nearby and it was plain scary.
but the location wasnt that bad, it was the lies and empty promises that really pisses me off.
my friend and i booked the rooms for all our friends, a few of them did not make it to dc on the same day or had to leave early, so i have $50 refund on my card and my friend $60. i'm using the present tense because till now loftstel have not given our money back. we've been calling them once every 3 days. every call the person on the other side said he/she would call us back, or leave a msg for his/her manager, or email us. BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED. we dont have a phone line in the states, we have been using prepaid cards to call them. it has cost us a lot of precious money and time. i'm deeply frustrated at their attitudes. before i'm into my second sentence i've been accused of yelling. very disappointed. finally yesterday they gave my friend a paypal transaction no. it was for $50 when he was owed $60. there was nothing for me. i called back and Chad said he'd check and call me back. but he never did. i called back today and he said he did not say he'd call me back, instead i did not get a refund because i didnt fill out a form but my friend did. 2 lies here. the form was never mentioned and my friend never filled out one. i've stayed in other loftstels, and before this i had good impression of this one, despite its location. now i'm not so sure. the whole experience has left a bad aftertaste.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Loftstel / Washington? Share your experiences!