“Aaron Shipman House - Garden Apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Prices are for rooms, adults
Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
13th and Q Street NW, Logan Circle, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #10 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Auburn, Washington, United States
“Aaron Shipman House - Garden Apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our family of five recently stayed in the garden apartment at the Aaron Shipman House. While no breakfast is provided, a full kitchen is available and Safeway and Whole Foods are in walking distance. The luxury of cooking breakfast and dinner saved us a ton of money. Having laundry facilities on site meant that we didn't take home any dirty laundry. This was a very affordable option for our family and it meant that the kids weren't required to be "hotel quiet" for an entire week.

The Aaron Shipman House is close to buses and the subway. Lots of nightlife nearby and the neighborhood appears to be gentrifying. We never felt unsafe here.

Room Tip: The garden apartment has full access to the back yard. If you don't mind the evening mosquitoes...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Barton upon Humber, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was staying alone in Washington for five days following a 2 week holiday with my family in Orlando, and I could not have chosen better accommodation.

The house itself is beautiful, decorated with some of the most extraordinary pieces of furniture I have ever seen. The rooms themselves are modestly decorated, but with being in such a city, one doesn't need to be spending much time in them. I stayed in room 7 (the double room) and it was perfect for a single traveler as myself.

The location is good too, as it's only a ten minute walk to the nearest metro station, which in my opinion, is the easiest way to travel around the city.

The breakfasts were amazing. During my stay I had five of them and each one was delicious.
There is a line from the musical Carousel which goes "the vittals we ate, we're good, you bet, the company was the same", and that perfectly sums up each encounter. They normally lasted around 45 minutes to an hour, as the conversations were always very interesting, and with the exceptional food too, why would anyone want to leave!

And finally, the hosts, Jacky and Charles, could not be more welcoming. They recommended tours for me, recommended restaurants, and even allowed me to join in one of their dinner parties they were having!

All in all, it was an excellent stay and if I ever go back to Washington (which I hope I do) I shall be staying nowhere but here.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 7, which was perfect for a solo traveller, anything else would have been too big
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Katy and Charles are perfect hostes.
The room was very quiet and clean.
Breakfast with a lot of warm dishes and a high level discussions. That's is the avantage of so many nationalities.
We can highly recommended this address.

Kind regards.

Frits

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Breda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Aaron Shipman House B&B. The house is ideally located close to downtown Washington, Georgetown and the national mall. The house is decorated in historical style and so are the rooms. Rooms are well equiped and the garden and porch are the perfect relaxing hang out spot.
The inn keepers are very friendly and ready with advice and support. The only disadvantage we identified is the breakfast timeslot which is at 8 sharp and personally we are not big fans of an obligatory personal round table introduction. The breakfast itsellf is great consisting of fruits, pie or omelett and pastries. Summarizing this is a great B&B in downtown Washington DC, great value for money and we would recommend this place to all our friends

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My two friends and I were going to spend 2 nights. However, one of my friend's motorcycles broke down and we ended up only spending one night. There was never any mention of returning all or part of our money for the night not spent there. This didn't bother us so much although it would have been greatly appreciated as we are on a tight budget.
However, the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that I left my purse there and instead of doing me the courtesy of mailing it back to me and absorbing the $15 cost....Jane, the owner, went into my wallet and took out the mailing fee. I told her she could...but what choice did I have I live in Cleveland and needed my ID and credit cards....since she had $160 of our money for the room not stayed in it would have been a nice courtesy to have returned it gratis.
However, that said the room was clean, shower, however, was cold, breakfast was scrumptious, and staff were courteous and helpful. Cookies were amazing.

Room Tip: There is one room (not sure the number) that has a large kingbed and a day bed. The bathroom is smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
bnbaccomDC, Owner at Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
It has been quite stressful to reply to this review. Despite giving us reasonably positive ratings, this guest makes some comments that quite honestly are hard not take very personally. This September celebrates our 30th year welcoming guests to our home. In all our years, we have enjoyed thousands of guests, many who have become long treasured friends. It is certainly unfortunate they encountered mechanical troubles with one of their motorcycles; however they also did not tell us they would not be arriving until after 8pm, well after a reasonable time to re-sell the room reserved and after many hours of our evening waiting for them. We do not feel the financial responsibility should have rested with us. Further, with respect to mailing her purse, this guest expressly requested that the purse be mailed to her by express overnight delivery—the most expensive shipping method possible. The actual cost was $25.05, which we recovered $20 taken from the wallet in the purse at her direction. Meeting her needs also required waiting in line at the post office for close to an hour, and rearranging my Monday morning schedule in order to get the purse mailed in the timeliest fashion she insisted was needed. Her expectation was actually that we should have done this on Sunday, hours after their departure, finding some miracle shipping establishment open on a Sunday. We love our guests, and thoroughly enjoy our interactions while they are spending time here in Washington. We know thankfully; most mornings, we will enjoy a full table of great guests reminding us how much we enjoy this business.
Clarksboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay at the Aaron Shipman House in room #6. The home is beautifully restored and meticulously cared for. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We did not make use of the jacuzzi (the original reason we chose this room) due in part that it has some protrusions on the bottom of it that look as thought they'd be very uncomfortable and that it may have been a tight fit for the pair of us. The shower, however was very spacious. The water temperature and pressure were very good. Breakfast service was announced each morning over the in-room tele-com system. If you did not want to partake in breakfast or had a special request, the night before you could simply note your preference on the kitchen's whiteboard. A Keurig coffee maker and tea were readily available in the kitchen at all hours. Freshly baked cookies were always available on a small server near the front door. I believe this was my husband's favorite amenity.

The owner, Charles, was an absolute delight. Each morning he would join the guests for a family style breakfast where he would help promote conversation among everyone. (“family style” = no assigned seating, we all sat at one long table together, and we passed the plates around the table serving ourselves as much or as little as we liked.) These morning conversations were one of the highlights of our trip. It was wonderful to hear travel stories from other guests, learn about the area and the Aaron Shipman house's history from Charles, and enjoy many hearty laughs. Although the breakfast start time was fixed at 8am, everyone was free to linger and chat for as long as they pleased. Charles even has a photo album showing the restoration of the home that he was happy to allow my husband and I to peruse while he answered all of our questions about each photo, etc. We were very sorry to have missed out on meeting his wife, Jackie, as she was traveling during our stay.

Another huge plus for us is that the Aaron Shipman House is an easy walk to the Metro subway line. We used the “Shaw” station as it was the closest and easiest walk from the B&B (from Q Street; we went left on Vermont Ave, right onto R Street, arriving at 8th & R where the Shaw Metro Station is located. Just a few blocks / under 8 minutes walk). We did not drive anywhere in DC since the Metro subway and Circulator bus lines have stops at or near every point of interest. The subways are exceptionally clean and we felt completely safe the entire trip (unlike may other city subways on which we have traveled). Finding our way around using the Metro was surprisingly easy. And if we had any questions, the Aaron Shipman House staff we always willing to help. Janice, Grace, and Marie were an absolute pleasure. A nicer group of people would be hard to find.

In summary; the location is great, the home is beautiful, we wanted for nothing, we felt welcomed from the moment of our arrival, and the Aaron Shipman House 'family' are among the nicest we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. A “5 star” experience all around.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at the Aaron Shipman for 10 nights when we arrived in DC from Australia. We were in the basement apartment, so were fully self contained with a completely equipped kitchen of our own, a small outdoor area and a bedroom that is separate to the living space. The accommodation was nice, comfortable and convenient and had everything that we would need to stay for as long as we wanted. The location is fabulous - 300m to an excellent grocery store, and some of the best bars and restaurants in DC are just around the corner (about 100m away). Jackie and Charles were wonderful, friendly, hospital and knowledgeable hosts - and when we decided to join them for breakfast it was a delicious meal! We will definitely be looking to use this accommodation for our future long term visits to DC.

Room Tip: Basement Apartment was great for longer term, self sufficient living. Only down side being that ther...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!